Can't access access point's setup page

Old March 12th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
str0be

Default Can't access access point's setup page

Hi,

I'm in the Netherlands, but am usually a UK resident, so I thought I'd
better post here

My landlord's modem-router:

Product Name = SpeedTouch 546
Vendor Name = THOMSON
Software Version = 5.2.7.19.0

My landlord's wireless access point is a Linksys WAP11 v2.8.

In my landlord's office, the ADSL connection (with planet.nl) connects
to the speedtouch modem-router. This has two LAN connections: one to
the landlord's computer, and one to the wireless access point. My PC
is connected wirelessly through this.

I can access the modem-router's setup page just by browsing to
10.0.0.138. I don't know how to get to the access point's setup page.
The manual says that the IP address (default; I haven't changed it) is
192.168.1.251, but I don't even get a response when I ping it.

When I look in the modem-router's page on DHCP server leases, I see my
own MAC address given 10.0.0.1, and what is presumably my landlord's,
but I don't see one for the Access Point.

I think this may be a problem with netmasks.

If someone can suggest a course of action, thanks -- I need to secure
the network as right now it is wide open for anyone to use!

Old March 12th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 12/03/2006 str0be wrote:

I can access the modem-router's setup page just by browsing to
10.0.0.138. I don't know how to get to the access point's setup page.
The manual says that the IP address (default; I haven't changed it) is
192.168.1.251, but I don't even get a response when I ping it.

When I look in the modem-router's page on DHCP server leases, I see my
own MAC address given 10.0.0.1, and what is presumably my landlord's,
but I don't see one for the Access Point.

I think this may be a problem with netmasks.

You won't be able to access anything on a 192.168.n.n range from a
10.0.n.n IP address. You could temporarily change the IP address on
your PC to 192.168.1.n and then if the WAP address is still at its
default you should be able to see it. You will then need to change its
IP address to 10.0.0.n and change you PC's IP address back to 10.0.0.n
- be careful of clashes though - can the WAP uses DHCP to pick up an
address? If not you'll need to give it a fixed address outside the
range allocated by the DHCP server.

It's a lot easier to do the admin with a wired connection, takes 1
possible problem out of the loop.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.6.6
Old March 12th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Killa

On 12 Mar 2006 15:58:28 GMT, Jeff Gaines
wrote:

You won't be able to access anything on a 192.168.n.n range from a
10.0.n.n IP address.

You would if you used an OS with better networking support than
Windows - you just add a route to the subnet to NIC without a
gateway.
Old March 12th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

wrote:

You won't be able to access anything on a 192.168.n.n range from a
10.0.n.n IP address.

You would if you used an OS with better networking support than
Windows - you just add a route to the subnet to NIC without a
gateway.

You can add up to 4 separate IP addresses to a NIC with Windows XP

Old March 12th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
str0be

OK, I told the modem-router to give IPs starting at 10.0.0.10 in
future, so that I have some free for static usage. Then I changed my
IP address of my PC temporarily, logged into the AP's setup page and
told it to get its IP by DHCP in future. I regret this.

After changing my PC back to using DHCP-received settings, I am unable
to log into the AP, now residing at 10.0.0.11. I know the IP since I
can see it in the modem-router's DHCP Server leases page. But unlike
my lease, which has a state: used, the AP has state:free

From the help page of the modem-router:

State
The DHCP server lease state:
Free (in case of statically added DHCP leases)
Indicating an unused DHCP server leases. No DHCP request from this
particular Client ID has been received by the DHCP server (yet).
Used
Indicating assigned DHCP leases. A DHCP lease has been assigned to this
Client ID in the past (actually (Pool lease time)-TTL seconds ago).

Obviously I should have given it a static IP of 10.0.0.1 or something.
But where to go from here?

Old March 12th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Killa

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:12:32 -0000, John Steele
wrote:

You can add up to 4 separate IP addresses to a NIC with Windows XP

But can you add routes without a gateway which don't match the subnet
configured for the NIC ? There is no reason why you shouldn't be able
to since the network stack should just use ARP for any such addresses
and ARP doesn't care about IP subnets.

FWIW, I just wondered how many IP addresses I could assigned to the
same NIC on my main router (which isn't Windows, of course). I got
fed up at 29 and stopped.
Old March 12th 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Killa
writes
wrote:

You won't be able to access anything on a 192.168.n.n range from a
10.0.n.n IP address.

You would if you used an OS with better networking support than
Windows - you just add a route to the subnet to NIC without a
gateway.

So, 'route add' from the command prompt on a windows box doesn't work
then? Maybe it's just that you need a better knowledge of Windows to
hide your prejudices?
--
Clint Sharp
Old March 12th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 12/03/2006 str0be wrote:

Obviously I should have given it a static IP of 10.0.0.1 or something.
But where to go from here?

You 'ought' to be able to see anything in the 10.0.0.n range, are you
using a netmask of 255.255.255.0?

You can probably set the AP IP address back to its default by
pressing/holding a button and start again. I agree it's often better to
have a fixed address for the router and AP, takes some variables out of
the equation.

Old March 12th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Killa

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:51:29 +0000, Clint Sharp
wrote:

So, 'route add' from the command prompt on a windows box doesn't work
then? Maybe it's just that you need a better knowledge of Windows to
hide your prejudices?

Well when I try it on my XP box I get:

The route addition failed: The specified mask parameter is invalid.
(Destination & Mask) != Destination.

There is not reason why the Destination & Mask should equal the
Desintation, but M$ seem to think it should.

I think you have missed the point, but I may be wrong. If you do
grasp the point, then please let me know how you configure a NIC on
Windows to have, say, a 192.168.1.x/24 address and then use the same
interface to access, say, 10.0.0.x/24 addresses without going via a
router and without assigning a 10.0.0.x address to the NIC on the
Windows box. There is no reason why you should not be able to do
this, my *nix boxes all can, my ADSL router can, but I've never been
able to get a Windows box to do it - so if I'm missing something,
please let me know, it would be useful.
Old March 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Killa wrote in
:

wrote:

You won't be able to access anything on a 192.168.n.n range from a
10.0.n.n IP address.

You would if you used an OS with better networking support than
Windows - you just add a route to the subnet to NIC without a
gateway.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to set all the equipment on the same network to
the same subnet, as Jeff suggested.

Probably a good idea to give the AP a static address such as 10.0.0.2 if the
router is 10.0.0.1 and to turn off its DHCP so the router's DHCP assigns
addresses for both the wired and wireless LAN. That way any equipment that
is set to get its addresses over DHCP can access any other equipment n the
LAN without any routes needing to be set.