Security/Privacy

Old March 12th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DC

Default Security/Privacy

Hi
I'm new to this and have a question.
If someone else nearby logs onto my wireless router, is there a way of
knowing? Mine slows down every now and again so I suspect that someone is
doing this. Also, can they get into my files or see what I'm looking at.
I'm not bothered about my porn but I am a bit twitchy about my banking.
Thanks
DJ

Old March 12th 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
paul

"DC" wrote in message
Hi
I'm new to this and have a question.
If someone else nearby logs onto my wireless router, is there a way of
knowing? Mine slows down every now and again so I suspect that someone is
doing this. Also, can they get into my files or see what I'm looking at.
I'm not bothered about my porn but I am a bit twitchy about my banking.
Thanks
DJ

You need to read the instructions and use the security settings available to
stop anyone connecting. If you don't know how then Google as you're asking
for trouble. Alternatively go to the manufacturers website and download the
manual.
You're responsible for what others do using your connection.

Old March 12th 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 12/03/2006 DC wrote:

Hi
I'm new to this and have a question.
If someone else nearby logs onto my wireless router, is there a way
of knowing? Mine slows down every now and again so I suspect that
someone is doing this. Also, can they get into my files or see what
I'm looking at. I'm not bothered about my porn but I am a bit twitchy
about my banking. Thanks DJ

Is there a page on the router you can access to see who's logged on?
Are you using some sort of security? You should change the SSID from
its default, hide it and use WEP as a minimum plus limit the access on
the WAP to specified MAC addresses. I's not fool proof but it will stop
casual use.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.6.6
Old March 12th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:03:59 -0000, "DC" wrote:

Hi
I'm new to this and have a question.
If someone else nearby logs onto my wireless router, is there a way of
knowing? Mine slows down every now and again so I suspect that someone is
doing this. Also, can they get into my files or see what I'm looking at.
I'm not bothered about my porn but I am a bit twitchy about my banking.

On the router's configuration page there should be a page that lets
you know how many 'stations' are connected; on my Netgear it shows as
Station List.

Geoff Lane