BT router replacement required - and i'd still avoid BT like the plague

Old March 13th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

Default BT router replacement required - and i'd still avoid BT like the plague

the wacky race is still on!

after some electrical work a client blew his original BT router which was a
BT branded model 5861.

prior to this the internet connection had been fine.

a man from BT replaced it with a siemens 5830.

after a couple of weeks of BT incompetence the router was eventually set up
- and it worked fine for a day.

however there are intermittent problems still with the internet connection -
the connection seems to stop altogether for several minutes at a time which
impacts on students taking online exams - in fact the exams are broken and
declared void.

BT don't want to know - they just repeat that the connection is fine and
won't accept responsibility for the problem.

what we'd like to do is to replace the router to see if that is where the
problem is. i say this because their connection had failed but came back
up fine after restarting the BT router.

the connection socket is not to a normal ADSL type socket - i'm not on site
but i remember it as being like an RJ45 but not quite the same - slightly
more square i think.

here are some questions - i think some BT staff check this NG so maybe they
can help.

1. on this BT connect service which was not wires-only but where they
supplied the router are we allowed to try to install our own router?

2. what recommendations does anyone have for a router for this type of
service?

3. can we get hold of a model 5861 ourselves.

4. i believe the router will download it's settings automatically when
plugged in - how does this work? - is it a particular protocol? we think
the wrong settings are downloaded. something to do with the router being
'wrapped'?

5. i think the manager has the [A/S]DSL login settings and i think i have
the original network settings so is it feasible to set up the router from
scratch without the download (WRAP) function being called?

BTW - cable BB has been ordered and should provide a backup connection to
the internet.

thanks,

kev
Old March 13th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

the service purchased from BT is called:

BT openworld broadband for business

thanks,

kev
Old March 13th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"kevin bailey" wrote in message
: the wacky race is still on!
:
: after some electrical work a client blew his original BT router
which was a
: BT branded model 5861.
: prior to this the internet connection had been fine.
:
: a man from BT replaced it with a siemens 5830.
:
: after a couple of weeks of BT incompetence the router was eventually
set up
: - and it worked fine for a day.

As many of us had said before, BT's 'Incompitence' was eclipsed by
your own in not doing something as an interm measure to get your
'customer' up and running. In fact who had configured the siemens 5830
to do what you want now, BT or you???
:
: however there are intermittent problems still with the internet
connection -
: the connection seems to stop altogether for several minutes at a
time which
: impacts on students taking online exams - in fact the exams are
broken and
: declared void.

Can I point you to a clue from your own post ''after some electrical
work a client blew his original BT router''
It worked ok before all of this. Ummm. Thats hard to work out. Is
Sherlock Holmes listening in on this NG.

: BT don't want to know - they just repeat that the connection is fine
and
: won't accept responsibility for the problem.

Indeed, it does not sound like it is there problem.

: what we'd like to do is to replace the router to see if that is
where the
: problem is. i say this because their connection had failed but came
back
: up fine after restarting the BT router.

Then go ahead and do something useful just to test the line.
:
: the connection socket is not to a normal ADSL type socket - i'm not
on site
: but i remember it as being like an RJ45 but not quite the same -
slightly
: more square i think.

Are you sure this is not a cat5 wired socket that already belongs to
your customer.
It's either a master socket with a BT plug, a master socket with RJ11
or a master socket with a filter faceplate BT plug and RJ11.
Anything else and it's an extension and not BT's problem.
:
: here are some questions - i think some BT staff check this NG so
maybe they
: can help.

After your mouth about BT I don't think anyone would **** on you if
you were on fire.
You are paid to sort it out, if you have any idea what you are doing
you would not need to post such basic issues in a ng.
:
: 1. on this BT connect service which was not wires-only but where
they
: supplied the router are we allowed to try to install our own router?
Get this, nobody cares, so what have you got to loose. Jesus, I am
glad I am not paying you!
:
: 2. what recommendations does anyone have for a router for this type
of
: service?
What type of service, what do you want to do?:

: 3. can we get hold of a model 5861 ourselves.
Efficient networks still had stocks of it until recently. It has a
known overheating issue with the internal PSU.
You could try ebay.

: 4. i believe the router will download it's settings automatically
when
: plugged in - how does this work? - is it a particular protocol? we
think
: the wrong settings are downloaded. something to do with the router
being
: 'wrapped'?
No idea, perhaps kraftee may care to answer, but as you have been
vocally abusing BT I would not be surprised if he rightly ignores your
plea for help.
:
: 5. i think the manager has the [A/S]DSL login settings and i think i
have
: the original network settings so is it feasible to set up the router
from
: scratch without the download (WRAP) function being called?

This is kimdergarden stuff. Of course you can log in and set it up
with the username and password. However, and I don't mean to be rude,
judging from your posts and this question alone I think you may be at
the limit of your knowledge. Pay someone else to sort it out. It's the
fairest thing you can do for your client mate as you clearly don't
have much of a clue.
:
:
: BTW - cable BB has been ordered and should provide a backup
connection to
: the internet.

Try setting that up to do what you want if you can't get a simple dsl
router up and running. Jesus, I would love to watch this.
I guess the client must be on a real budget if you are the best he can
do. Sorry Kevin, but you are clueless mate. Get a grown up to sort it
out.

Old March 13th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

look, newsgroups are for sharing experiences and offering advice.

ideally, it should not be used by inadequates banging on arguing every point
and trying to prove how 'smart' they are.

if you're not going to help - don't bother to post.

if it's to try to make yourself look clever - don't bother cos you're making
yourself look anything but.

as the title said

'BT router replacement required' - help and advice is needed.

'and i'd still avoid BT like the plague' - because their service has proved
dreadful.

after years of decent service from Demon this service from BT is inadequate.

this next point is one you find hard to understand:

if you disagree, then argue with a sensible point showing how great BT are -
don't try to shoot the messenger.

i've not fully read your post - please let me know if there is anything
useful in it.

Old March 13th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

:
: i've not fully read your post - please let me know if there is
anything
: useful in it.

Just the one thing. Het your client to find someone that has a clue.
Take that on board son ;-)

Old March 13th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
:
: "kevin bailey" wrote in message
: news:dv4cnj$ami$1
::
:: i've not fully read your post - please let me know if there is
: anything
:: useful in it.
:
: Just the one thing. Het your client to find someone that has a clue.
: Take that on board son ;-)
:
:
Typo: Get your client to find someone other than you to do the job. If
you can't even identify the socket it's plugged into I feel you may be
beyond help.

I have always found BT to be as helpful as any other ISP. Not always
the quickest I grant you, but always pretty good. I don't know any
other ISP that will send an engineer around your house that will not
only sort out miles of cable, but a multitude of customer issues like
not having a ****ing clue what they want or what they are doing. I
look forward to meeting you ;-)

Old March 13th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

i've not fully read your post - please let me know if there is
anything useful in it.

Just the one thing. Het your client to find someone that has a clue.
Take that on board son ;-)

Typo: Get your client to find someone other than you to do the job. If
you can't even identify the socket it's plugged into I feel you may be
beyond help.

I have always found BT to be as helpful as any other ISP. Not always
the quickest I grant you, but always pretty good. I don't know any
other ISP that will send an engineer around your house that will not
only sort out miles of cable, but a multitude of customer issues like
not having a ****ing clue what they want or what they are doing. I
look forward to meeting you ;-)

Do you think Kevin could be charged with obtaining money by false pretences?

Old March 13th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"Adrian" wrote in message

: Do you think Kevin could be charged with obtaining money by false
pretences?
:
ROFL!

Old March 13th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

kevin bailey wrote:

1. on this BT connect service which was not wires-only but where they
supplied the router are we allowed to try to install our own router?

Yes you are.

2. what recommendations does anyone have for a router for this type of
service?

I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave last week.

3. can we get hold of a model 5861 ourselves.

Yes.

4. i believe the router will download it's settings automatically when
plugged in - how does this work? - is it a particular protocol? we think
the wrong settings are downloaded. something to do with the router being
'wrapped'?

No idea how it would do this - when BT engineers have been on site with
us they download config files to their laptops - and then perhaps upload
them to the router?

5. i think the manager has the [A/S]DSL login settings and i think i have
the original network settings so is it feasible to set up the router from
scratch without the download (WRAP) function being called?

I have had to set-up a number of routers from scratch as temporary
replacements for the BT router.
Old March 13th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

poster wrote:

On 13 Mar 2006 11:42, kevin bailey wrote:

BT don't want to know - they just repeat that the connection is fine and
won't accept responsibility for the problem.

Since it isn't working, I'd suggest getting an alternative ADSL service
on some other phone line - is there a fax line into the building which
could take ADSL as a wires-only service ?

they're ordering cable BB currently - this was recommended months ago but
has obviously been moved up the priority list due to the current connection
problems. have been advised that it may be installed within 2 weeks.

i advised cable with the idea that it should provide a completely separate
internet connection and not use the same exchange or whatever once it
leaves the building.

It should be active in 5 to 10 working days so once the order has been
placed, call BT and cancel their ADSL service. As they're now getting
no satisfaction, only by closing the account will BT get the message.

Having already placed an order with someone else, any action by BT to
fix problems can be accepted to get online for now (but without accepting
a further contract of service) but once the new ADSL service is proven to
be working, still go ahead and cancel (no point keeping a service where
something similar may again be a problem).

agreed - the client anyway wants to change. apparently they had problems
when they first had BT BB installed which took weeks to sort out.

demon have been pretty good - i've used them exclusively for 4-5 years and
all installations run fine with hardly any support calls. a couple of
companies who are at the end of long bits of copper have to reset their
routers every now and then but that's all.

Lots of users may be happy, but the current situation is poor, and as it
is a BT-supplied router and they could start charging for further visits,
I'd get rid of the problem once and for all. I know you had previously
suggested the use of an alternative service to run in parallel, but as
they had not taken notice of such suggestions they ought now be ready
to take advice and do what it takes to get to a reliable situation.

it's an annoying one - the client sees it as a router problem because when
the network connection is lost it is restored by resetting the BT router.

so they don't want to pay me to work on it because they see it as a BT
problem.

it's an intermittent problem which affects my VPN connection to them - so
i'd have to be on-site to investigate.

however, mail traffic can still get through to their mail server....

hmm...

maybe that might trigger something.

i'm going to post up a question RE the symptons and see if anything comes
back.

thanks poster.