News Groups

Old March 13th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

Default News Groups

I have seen a number of posts complaining about ISPs dropping News Group
services. The following issued by Support at BT Yahoo may be of interest
to people affected:

Title: "Improvements to Newsgroup service"

From Wednesday 22nd March 2006 we will be changing to a new newsgroup
service. From that date you will see an increase in the number of newsgroups
available (e.g. from about 40,000 to over 100,000 newsgroups) and longer
article retention time. Speed improvements are also likely, depending on
time of day and download size. If you download multipart binarys you should
also see improvements.

Typical retention rates will be increased to:
* ~62 days in multi-part binary newsgroups
* ~62 days in single-part binary newsgroups
* 987 days in text newsgroups
* 99%+ completion rate

You do not need to change any settings in your newsgroup reader (e.g.
Outlook Express). You should only see an improvement in service. Because of
the increased retention time, you may see many more unread messages from
previous weeks.

--
Keith Willcocks

Old March 13th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Keith Willcocks wrote:
I have seen a number of posts complaining about ISPs dropping News
Group services. The following issued by Support at BT Yahoo may be
of interest to people affected:

Title: "Improvements to Newsgroup service"

From Wednesday 22nd March 2006 we will be changing to a new newsgroup
service. From that date you will see an increase in the number of
newsgroups available (e.g. from about 40,000 to over 100,000
newsgroups) and longer article retention time. Speed improvements are
also likely, depending on time of day and download size. If you
download multipart binarys you should also see improvements.

Typical retention rates will be increased to:
* ~62 days in multi-part binary newsgroups
* ~62 days in single-part binary newsgroups
* 987 days in text newsgroups
* 99%+ completion rate

You do not need to change any settings in your newsgroup reader (e.g.
Outlook Express). You should only see an improvement in service.
Because of the increased retention time, you may see many more unread
messages from previous weeks.

It looks like they're going to farm out thier service to someone like
Giganews.
--
Adrian A

Old March 13th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

:
: Title: "Improvements to Newsgroup service"
:
: From Wednesday 22nd March 2006 we will be changing to a new
newsgroup
: service. From that date you will see an increase in the number of
newsgroups
: available (e.g. from about 40,000 to over 100,000 newsgroups) and
longer
: article retention time. Speed improvements are also likely,
depending on
: time of day and download size. If you download multipart binarys you
should
: also see improvements.
:
: Typical retention rates will be increased to:
: * ~62 days in multi-part binary newsgroups
: * ~62 days in single-part binary newsgroups
: * 987 days in text newsgroups
: * 99%+ completion rate

Ain't it funny that as ISP's start running away from NG's and trying
to rape a few extra pennies out of customers for usenet, that BT is,
for once, enhancing it's free access for customers.

Old March 13th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:56:16 -0000, "Adrian" wrote:

It looks like they're going to farm out thier service to someone like
Giganews.

Based on the 62 days I'd say it was almost certainly Giganews.
Old March 13th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian G

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message

[...]

As a long suffering customer of BT, take it from me they give nothing away
for free!

Just keep an eye on 'em for the next month or so, and let's see what they
'claw back' from their subscribers to pay for the "improved news servers
with the better retention".

From a complete BT (all sections) cynic!

Brian G

Old March 13th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Herber

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:35:47 +0000 (UTC), "Keith Willcocks"
wrote:

Title: "Improvements to Newsgroup service"

From Wednesday 22nd March 2006 we will be changing to a new newsgroup
service. From that date you will see an increase in the number of newsgroups
available (e.g. from about 40,000 to over 100,000 newsgroups)

That's a few hundred that you might use yourself,
+ five thousand that could be useful at some time,
+ five thousand that you could understand maybe being useful to
someone else,
+ five thousand that might be useful to good folk of Finland or
Croatia,
+ a few flonk,flonk,die,die groups,
the rest containing 17 identical copies of last week's latest lunatic
rant, religious provocation or MLM offering.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Old March 13th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tester

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:02:16 +0000 (UTC), "Sucuba Dude"
wrote:

available (e.g. from about 40,000 to over 100,000 newsgroups) and
longer

What bullocks - 100,000 ng's - yeah right, as if there is anywhere
near 15,000 or so text / binary ng's that contain anything useful -
most are empty, spam, or crap filled.

Most premium news suppliers would admit to that - if giganews or
anyone supplies upwards of 40,000 (upper limit) then they carry groups
just to say they do.
Old March 13th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

available (e.g. from about 40,000 to over 100,000 newsgroups) and
longer

What bullocks - 100,000 ng's - yeah right, as if there is anywhere
near 15,000 or so text / binary ng's that contain anything useful -
most are empty, spam, or crap filled.

Most premium news suppliers would admit to that - if giganews or
anyone supplies upwards of 40,000 (upper limit) then they carry groups
just to say they do.

There are 40,000ish *valid* groups (note that not all of these are in
use or make any sense ;-). Some large news providers will create any
group that is referenced by a message, and so have the other 60,000
nonsense groups. Unfortunately a few of these become popular which is
a pain as it draws traffic away from the legitimate groups that are
carried by everyone. Posts to these groups will not reach everyone.

James
Old March 13th 06, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
H4rry

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:41:17 GMT, "jpnews"
wrote:

On 13-Mar-2006, "Adrian" wrote:

It looks like they're going to farm out thier service to someone like
Giganews.
--
Adrian A

Agreed, there will probably be a download limit too, say around 10 GB/month.

Isn't this what Pipex did? Imposed a limit and only allowed 2
simultaneous connections. Made it virtually unusuable.
Can't remember if they put speed limits on it too.

Worthwhile to watch but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

aka
Old March 14th 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Brian G" wrote in message

[...]

From a complete BT (all sections) cynic!

So, why stay with them ?