pentium 3

Old March 13th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
scouse_mouse

Default pentium 3

Hello gang could any one tell me if I would notice much diffrence running a
pentium 3 on broadband from my pentium 4 both computers are laptops I know its
a silly question but Iam new to all this.

Message sent by Excite Newsgroups.
http://www.excite.co.uk/newsgroup

Old March 13th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Killa

On 13 Mar 2006 22:04:52 GMT, scouse_mouse
wrote:

Hello gang could any one tell me if I would notice much diffrence running a
pentium 3 on broadband from my pentium 4 both computers are laptops I know its
a silly question but Iam new to all this.

All traffic to/from my ADSL connection goes through a Cyrix P166+
(think Pentium I at 133MHz).

'uptime' currently says "load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.20" and I've just
been downloading stuff from Usenet and max'ing out my 2Mbps ADSL
connection. In other words it isn't even getting warmed up.

OTOH, I don't know what you plan to run on your laptop - I have a
feeling that my P166+ might have a minor problem if I was stupid
enough to try and run Windows XP on it, but then why would I want
to ;-)
Old March 13th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"scouse_mouse" wrote in message
Hello gang could any one tell me if I would notice much diffrence running
a pentium 3 on broadband from my pentium 4 both computers are laptops I
know its a silly question but Iam new to all this.

Not for downloading. Maybe for web browsing, but probably not much - the
amount of RAM and hard drive performance could have more impact than the
CPU, all else being equal.

Alex

Old March 15th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Killa' wrote:

OTOH, I don't know what you plan to run on your laptop - I have a
feeling that my P166+ might have a minor problem if I was stupid
enough to try and run Windows XP on it, but then why would I want
to ;-)

IME it's the ramspace that's most important. The installation of XP that
convinced me it's a better OS than I exepected was onto a 266 Mhz P II (I
think, something of that order) with 512MB RAM. Ran sweet as you like, no
problem browsing or playing music. Faster response time for most tasks
than a 1300 Mhz P4 system with only 128 meg.

The processor only impacted very compressed video, though I think a decent
graphics card might fix that.

Dave J.