ADSL router for sharing with teenager ?

Old March 13th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Dingley

Default ADSL router for sharing with teenager ?

Friends of mine are new to ADSL. During the day it works fine, but as
soon as their teenager switches on his PC (running Limewire, a
BitTorrent client) all their bandwidth vanishes, to the point where you
can't even ping Google.

Anyone know of a wireless router with some sort of bandwidth throttling
per port or per MAC that will let them throttle either the teenager, or
his bandwidth ? It's currently a cheap Belkin.

Their ADSL ISP (Splash) is useless and I suspect their upstream network
is less than ideal, but they apper to be tied into an enormous contract
that would be hard to get out of.

Thanks for any advice
Old March 13th 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Friends of mine are new to ADSL. During the day it works fine, but as
soon as their teenager switches on his PC (running Limewire, a
BitTorrent client) all their bandwidth vanishes, to the point where you
can't even ping Google.

Get him to throttle down his own connection - you can set up most
bittorrent clients to limit the total number of connections and max
up/download speed. Utorrent is quite nice as clients go,
http://www.utorrent.com

I`ve got mine set at 20 connections max, no download speed limit, 20k
upload speed limit, and while it will eventually drag the machine
running the client down and require a reboot (someone here once put me
straight on this point and said it was due to reverse path congestion)
the other machine on the network has very few problems connecting.

PS: I hope he`s got something like Peerguardian running

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Old March 14th 06, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Friends of mine are new to ADSL. During the day it works fine, but as
soon as their teenager switches on his PC (running Limewire, a
BitTorrent client) all their bandwidth vanishes, to the point where you
can't even ping Google.

In Limewi
Tools Options Uploads Basic:
Minimise the "Upload Bandwidth" slider
Untick "Allow partial sharing"

Tools Options Uploads Slots:
"Uploads per person" set to 1
"Max uploads slots" set to 5

The above will restrict what can be downloaded from his PC, which is what is
throttling your friends' connection.

You could also untick ""connect on start up".
Chances are he doesn't realise he's running it "24/7"

It's also an exercise in trust. If he ****es about with the settings, he
loses the PC.

Been there, seen it, done it. ;o)

Old March 14th 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Colin Wilson wrote:
Friends of mine are new to ADSL. During the day it works fine, but as
soon as their teenager switches on his PC (running Limewire, a
BitTorrent client) all their bandwidth vanishes, to the point where you
can't even ping Google.

Get him to throttle down his own connection - you can set up most
bittorrent clients to limit the total number of connections and max
up/download speed. Utorrent is quite nice as clients go,
http://www.utorrent.com

I`ve got mine set at 20 connections max, no download speed limit, 20k
upload speed limit, and while it will eventually drag the machine
running the client down and require a reboot (someone here once put me
straight on this point and said it was due to reverse path congestion)
the other machine on the network has very few problems connecting.

I have this issue (although my son isn't a teenager any more).

I have a Zyxel 660H router which does allow bandwidth management and,
after a certain amount of trial and error, can be set up to prevent
bittorrent hogging the bandwidth.

You can also set times for firewall rules so that bittorrent can only
run at certain times of the day.

--
Chris Green

Old March 14th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hungerdunger

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Friends of mine are new to ADSL. During the day it works fine, but as
soon as their teenager switches on his PC (running Limewire, a
BitTorrent client) all their bandwidth vanishes, to the point where you
can't even ping Google.

Anyone know of a wireless router with some sort of bandwidth throttling
per port or per MAC that will let them throttle either the teenager, or
his bandwidth ? It's currently a cheap Belkin.

Their ADSL ISP (Splash) is useless and I suspect their upstream network
is less than ideal, but they apper to be tied into an enormous contract
that would be hard to get out of.

Thanks for any advice

I'm no good on technical advice, but you might like to point out to them
that parents of children using limewire have already had to settle either in
or out of court with the British Phonographic Society for their children's
misdemeanours. I believe the amounts run into thousands and apparently
ignorance is no excuse. Sorry to be a kill-joy.
--
Hungerdunger
To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address

Old March 14th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

Hungerdunger wrote:

I'm no good on technical advice, but you might like to point out to them
that parents of children using limewire have already had to settle either in
or out of court with the British Phonographic Society for their children's
misdemeanours. I believe the amounts run into thousands and apparently
ignorance is no excuse. Sorry to be a kill-joy.

....although the bandwidth whores will have you believe they use P2P for
nothing but legitmate purposes.

Old March 17th 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

"tx2" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hungerdunger wrote:

I'm no good on technical advice, but you might like to point out to them
that parents of children using limewire have already had to settle either
in
or out of court with the British Phonographic Society for their
children's
misdemeanours. I believe the amounts run into thousands and apparently
ignorance is no excuse. Sorry to be a kill-joy.

...although the bandwidth whores will have you believe they use P2P for
nothing but legitmate purposes.

That's like the 99% of people who deny they look at porn. Porn made the
internet, just like it made VCR's the success they were.

**SS**