Problems with "TCP/IP Optimiser"

Old March 14th 06, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hungerdunger

Default Problems with "TCP/IP Optimiser"

With computers I tend to follow the old maxim "If it ain't broke, keep
messing with it until it is".

Anyway, having read in a computer magazine how this programme, available at
www.speedguide.net, might speed up my connection (should be 2Mbps, but is
usually well short of this), I decided to give it a go.

After rebooting I was taken straight to the BIOS screen, where after a bit
of panicking, I discovered that if I went into PnP/PCI Configuration, and
changed the setting for "Reset Configuration Data" to Enabled, I could then
get the machine to boot up.

As this kept happening, I tried restoring to an earler restore point without
success. Fortunately, as I had realised the Optimiser would change Registry
settings I had backed up my Registry, and when I restored it everything
worked again.

Anyway, I'm just curious - has anyone else had similar problems? Is this
Optimiser (or any similar programs) likely to have much effect on speeds?

In my own case, I tested the connection using the test at adslguide.org.uk
before using TCP/IP Optimiser, after I had optimised the line, and finally
after I had undone any changes it might have made. The second test did
indeed indicate better performance, so I thought it had worked, but I've
just done another test and I'm getting similar figures even though it has
been uninstalled.
--
Hungerdunger
To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address