Broadband router

Old March 14th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Default Broadband router

Hi,

Just a quick one, does it make a lot of difference if the router is
connected to the master socket or on an upstairs connection. There is not
any problems with my connection plugged in upstairs, but web browsing is
slow at times and was wondering if I would get a better connection if
connected to the master socket.

Many Thanks
John

Old March 14th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
: In article , John
says...
: Hi,
:

: Depends on what type of cable the extension is made of. If its
: aluminium core, yes. If its copper, no.
:
aluminium core on an internal cable. Are you sure........

Old March 14th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

How would I tell for sure. It looks like copper, if I open the master
socket.

Old March 14th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
steve

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , John says...
Hi,

Just a quick one, does it make a lot of difference if the router is
connected to the master socket or on an upstairs connection. There is not
any problems with my connection plugged in upstairs, but web browsing is
slow at times and was wondering if I would get a better connection if
connected to the master socket.

Depends on what type of cable the extension is made of. If its
aluminium core, yes. If its copper, no.

--
Conor,

Same ****

Oh not another expert. It doesn't make ANY difference. Why don't you just
try it.

Old March 14th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Killa

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:00:18 GMT, steve
wrote:

"Conor" wrote in message
t...

Depends on what type of cable the extension is made of. If its
aluminium core, yes. If its copper, no.

Oh not another expert. It doesn't make ANY difference. Why don't you just
try it.

It certainly can make a difference. My ADSL router was, for a while,
connected via a 'standard' extension cable. But then I discovered
'expert' mode on my router and discovered that the top 10 receive
channels were seeing no signal at all. Changing the cable to a
'decent' one brought all the channels to life, i.e. the cable was
filtering out what was otherwise useable downstream bandwidth.

Perhaps you'll get away with it without noticing at low speeds, but a
change of lead increased by "Attainable line rate" (as reported by the
router) from 9044 Kbit/sec to 9596 Kbit/sec. Maybe 500 Kbit/sec [1]
doesn't make any difference to you, but since neither of those figures
are good enough for 8 Mbps ADLS, I'd prefer to use a decent cable and,
when the time comes, get the maximum possible speed I can.

[1] That's 'raw' line speed/capacity, not the ATM rate, not the
(approx) IP data rates that are used to design ADSL speeds; it'll
translate into something around 66% of that figure in terms of IP
throughput.
Old March 15th 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article
John wrote:
Hi,

Just a quick one, does it make a lot of difference if the router is
connected to the master socket or on an upstairs connection. There is not
any problems with my connection plugged in upstairs, but web browsing is
slow at times and was wondering if I would get a better connection if
connected to the master socket.

It probably won't make much difference, but if you connect the router at
the master socket you only need a filter there rather than one on each
outlet.
Old March 15th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robert

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 01:16:04 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article
John wrote:
Hi,

Just a quick one, does it make a lot of difference if the router is
connected to the master socket or on an upstairs connection. There is not
any problems with my connection plugged in upstairs, but web browsing is
slow at times and was wondering if I would get a better connection if
connected to the master socket.

It probably won't make much difference, but if you connect the router at
the master socket you only need a filter there rather than one on each
outlet.

My experience at 2 locations with long internal wiring several phone
outlets and a 20m cheap extension cable is of having no problems
getting the full 2 Mbs I was expecting.

However if planning changes and maybe going wireless, changing the
master socket for one with a built in filter and dual broadband +
phone outlet sockets makes for a neat arrangement without needing
filters elsewhere (as already mentioned)

Whether my arrangements will work with higher speeds is a different
matter - but I always try the easy option first.

Robert
Old March 15th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
: In article
: John wrote:
"but if you connect the router at the master socket you only need a
filter there rather than one on each outlet."

That is not correct and is misleading. All pstn points need to be
filtered. You can fit a master socket filter on a BTNTE5 (master
socket) that will filter all properly wired extensions to achieve what
you say, but not any old filter as your post may be seen to suggest.

Old March 15th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Sucuba
Dude says...

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
: In article , John
says...
: Hi,
:

Yup. Commonly used on cheap **** extension kits.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 15th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , steve says...

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , John says...
Hi,

Just a quick one, does it make a lot of difference if the router is
connected to the master socket or on an upstairs connection. There is not
any problems with my connection plugged in upstairs, but web browsing is
slow at times and was wondering if I would get a better connection if
connected to the master socket.

Depends on what type of cable the extension is made of. If its
aluminium core, yes. If its copper, no.

--
Conor,

Same ****

Oh not another expert.

Yup. One wiuth a BTEC HND in Electronics Engineering. You?

It doesn't make ANY difference. Why don't you just
try it.

I already have. For my house it doesn't but it does in marginal areas.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.