Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G & printer sharing

Old March 14th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sukipo

Default Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G & printer sharing

Hi
This is a case of the blind leading the blind I am afraid.

I am attempting to assist a friend set up printer and filesharing
between his Desktop PC and laptop. What ever I try I seem to get
nowhere.

He has a Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G which is working
fine to share the broadnabd connection.

Is it possible that this router is not suitable for actual printer and
file sharing?

Any advise would be most gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Old March 14th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article . com,
Sukipo says...
Hi
This is a case of the blind leading the blind I am afraid.

I am attempting to assist a friend set up printer and filesharing
between his Desktop PC and laptop. What ever I try I seem to get
nowhere.

He has a Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G which is working
fine to share the broadnabd connection.

Is it possible that this router is not suitable for actual printer and
file sharing?

Its perfectly suitable for it. HOWEVER, Windows XP built in firewall
has File and Printer Sharing blocked by default. On both computers, you
need to go into Control Panel, Windows Firewall, click on the
exceptions tab and make sure File and Printer Sharing is ticked. Do the
same for any third party firewall.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 16th 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Welham

Anyone noticed the firmware is no longer available
Old March 19th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sukipo

Andrew Welham wrote:
Anyone noticed the firmware is no longer available

Hi

Could this be significant?

Old March 19th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sukipo

Sorry, forgive my ignornace but where are these settings?

Thank You

Old March 19th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sukipo

Thanks for your response. I do have printer and file sharing as
firewall exceptions on both computers.

One thing I have noticed is that the router is described as "with
firewall" but unfortuately my friend does not have the manual that came
with the router. Could it be that there is another firewall active and
if so how do I trace this?

Many Thanks

Old March 20th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article .com,
Sukipo says...
Thanks for your response. I do have printer and file sharing as
firewall exceptions on both computers.

One thing I have noticed is that the router is described as "with
firewall" but unfortuately my friend does not have the manual that came
with the router. Could it be that there is another firewall active and
if so how do I trace this?

It doesn't affect this. The firewall built into the router is designed
to block incoming requests on the WAN side.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.