Tiscali blocking usenet traffic?

Old March 14th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

Default Tiscali blocking usenet traffic?

Are any other Tiscali BB users having problems with usenet?

For weeks now, my connections to news.individual.net have spasmodically
halted for long periods.

Tiscali won't answer my questions about whether they are throttling the
traffic, all I get is a load of bull**** about DNS problems. I have
modified the connection info so as not to use DNS, I am using the IP
directly - 130.133.1.4.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
Old March 14th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

Joe Soap wrote:
Are any other Tiscali BB users having problems with usenet?

For weeks now, my connections to news.individual.net have spasmodically
halted for long periods.

Tiscali won't answer my questions about whether they are throttling the
traffic, all I get is a load of bull**** about DNS problems. I have
modified the connection info so as not to use DNS, I am using the IP
directly - 130.133.1.4.

No problems here Joe.

Charlie

Old March 14th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Joe Soap wrote:
Are any other Tiscali BB users having problems with usenet?

For weeks now, my connections to news.individual.net have spasmodically
halted for long periods.

Tiscali won't answer my questions about whether they are throttling the
traffic, all I get is a load of bull**** about DNS problems. I have
modified the connection info so as not to use DNS, I am using the IP
directly - 130.133.1.4.

No problems here Joe.

Charlie

Through February and the early part of March it was terrible but it seems to
be getting back to what it used to be.

Old March 14th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Joe Soap wrote:
Are any other Tiscali BB users having problems with usenet?

I've been having terrible trouble for weeks, both with Tiscali's own usenet
server and others. I only use text newsgroups, no binary transfers at all.

When I called the helpdesk, they told me that there was no sign of any
problem and I was the only person who had complained.

I've come to the conclusion that they are not interested in usenet support.
I got a strong impression that the help desk person did not know what I
meant by usenet - very disappointing, but sadly not unexpected at their low
prices.

--
Chris

Old March 14th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

Joe Soap wrote:
Are any other Tiscali BB users having problems with usenet?

I've been having terrible trouble for weeks, both with Tiscali's own
usenet server and others. I only use text newsgroups, no binary
transfers at all.

When I called the helpdesk, they told me that there was no sign of any
problem and I was the only person who had complained.

I've come to the conclusion that they are not interested in usenet
support. I got a strong impression that the help desk person did not
know what I meant by usenet - very disappointing, but sadly not
unexpected at their low prices.

Yes, I have had trouble with Tiscali's own server too - only slightly less
troublesome than news.individual.net.

Did they try to fob you off with the DNS hogwash?

Maybe more of us need to complain.

Old March 15th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

There are quit a few people complaining, but Tiscali doesn't care. The
official statement is: Usenet is an additional service we provide ,..... in
the same statement they mention that they pride themselves to have more
groups than Google news and are much faster.

They have and they are when it works.

Bert.

"Joe Soap" wrote in message
:

Old March 15th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

[top post moved to bottom]

"Joe Soap" wrote in message
:

Joe Soap wrote:
[...]

But I don't use the Tiscali news server, except when (because of their
crap service) I can't access news.individual.net which is MUCH better.
That does NOT count as an additional service, it exists independent of
Tiscali. And I should be able to use it without restriction.