BT Voyager 2500V Security

Old March 14th 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

Default BT Voyager 2500V Security

anyone reccomend that i use a software firewall with a BT Voyager 2500V
router?

it has NAT which i know isnt flawless security but is it worth using a
software firewall like ZA with this router or any router with NAT for that
matter

what if the router had SPI? would a software firewall be stoopid?

thanks in advance

Old March 14th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
steve

"Christo" wrote in message
anyone reccomend that i use a software firewall with a BT Voyager 2500V
router?

it has NAT which i know isnt flawless security but is it worth using a
software firewall like ZA with this router or any router with NAT for that
matter

what if the router had SPI? would a software firewall be stoopid?

thanks in advance

You would still need a firewall to stop outgoing traffic as some programs
call home or send stats, even send emails without permission. Your router
firewall and the one in windows only prevent incoming traffic. Use ZA but
set it to ask for permission before any program connects, if you don't
recognise the program or know why it should be connecting - disallow it.
I would be more concerned about people using your connection unless you have
WPA enabled, maybe MAC filtering, hidden SSID and the power turned down to
only cover your home rather than the street.

Old March 15th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"steve" wrote in message

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

i set up MAC filtering and also have a WEP key so i dont think anyone will
be suing my connection outside of my home,, i did however uninstall ZA,
maybe ill re install it.

Thanks

Old March 15th 06, 09:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Killa

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:43:46 +0000 (UTC), Christo
wrote:

i set up MAC filtering and also have a WEP key so i dont think anyone will
be suing my connection outside of my home,, i did however uninstall ZA,
maybe ill re install it.

What you need to be aware of is that (a) MAC filtering provides no
security what-so-ever and (b) your WEP key can be cracked in a matter
of minutes (although in practice, IME, it takes a few hours even if
you are using techniques to generate traffic to facilite the
cracking). If you can enable WPA then do, if not then change your WEP
key as often as you can and at least once per day (and preferably once
every few hours if you suspect that someone may be interested in
gaining access).

What you have will stop someone accidently connecting to your WLAN, it
will not stop a determined 'cracker', or even a script kiddie who is
bright enough to use Google.

ZA is another story .... let's just say that you can gain a false sense
of security by running a 'security application' on an insecure system,
but in reality your 'security application' cannot increase the secuity
of your system and could, in fact, decrease it.
Old March 18th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

wrote:

[...]

seriously the WEP key i have is not crackable its a mish mash of upper case
and lower case letters and numbers as well as underscores

i realize MAC filtering provides no security from the internet but it will
prevent people from accessing my network I have an allow list and only have
my computers in the allow list, anything else is blocked so really even if
they got the WEP key they would need to fiddle with the MAc address on their
machine to make it work fully

Old March 19th 06, 07:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Christo" wrote in message
"Killa" wrote in message

[snip]
What you need to be aware of is that (a) MAC filtering provides no
security what-so-ever and (b) your WEP key can be cracked in a matter
of minutes

[snip]
If you can enable WPA then do, if not then change your WEP key as often
as you can

[snip]
seriously the WEP key i have is not crackable its a mish mash of upper
case and lower case letters and numbers as well as underscores

It doesn't matter how "good" the key is, WEP has been shown to be
fundamentally insecure. As far as I know, WPA hasn't (at least not yet), and
should be secure provided the key is not guessable. Hence the recommendation
to use WPA if possible.

Alex

Old March 19th 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"Christo" wrote in message
"Killa" wrote in message

[snip]
What you need to be aware of is that (a) MAC filtering provides no
security what-so-ever and (b) your WEP key can be cracked in a matter
of minutes

[snip]
If you can enable WPA then do, if not then change your WEP key as often
as you can

[snip]
seriously the WEP key i have is not crackable its a mish mash of upper
case and lower case letters and numbers as well as underscores

It doesn't matter how "good" the key is, WEP has been shown to be
fundamentally insecure. As far as I know, WPA hasn't (at least not yet),
and
should be secure provided the key is not guessable. Hence the
recommendation
to use WPA if possible.

Alex

ok then

how can i tell if the setup will support WPA?