Anybody experiencing very intermittent ADSL connectivity in Leith?

Old March 14th 06, 07:20 PM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
David M

Default Anybody experiencing very intermittent ADSL connectivity in Leith?

Is anybody else experiencing very intermittent ADSL connectivity in
Leith, Edinburgh?

Since yesterday evening, my ADSL connection has been very spotty: the
router has difficulty locking-on to the ADSL signal (constantly cycling
between ACTIVATION - TRAINING - ACTIVATION - etc, sometimes
ACTIVATION - TRAINING - CHANNEL ANALYSIS - ACTIVATION - etc), and
when it does manage to setup the connection it only seems to last for a
few minutes before the problem occurs again.

Given that the problem appears to be occurring at the ADSL setup stage,
rather than the ISP authentication stage, I'm wondering if there's
perhaps a fault at the BT exchange, rather than at my ISP. Is anybody
else in the area experiencing similar problems?

(As end users, can we contact BT directly, or do we have to go through
our ISP?)

I have logged a fault with my ISP, but have had no response so far (24h).
My ISP (whom I previously had absolutely no problems with whatsoever and
would not have hesitated to recommend with the highest praise) was
recently taken over by another ISP, and since then, regrettably, the
feeling of cluefulness has decreased significantly (despite the
predatory ISP being one which I previously had respect for).

If I don't get at least an acknowledgement of the problem by tomorrow [1],
I'm naming and shaming, and then I'm walking.. I had nary a problem in
almost a year with the original ISP, and in the month or so since full
assimilation, at least three..

[1] Pre-assimilation, email support was rapid and friendly. Even
post-assimilation, support responses have generally been quick, but this
sudden drop in level of service isn't good enough. All support tickets
should be acknowledged in less than 24 hours, even if they can't be
resolved immediately.

--
David M. -- Edinburgh, Scotland.--[en, fr, (de)]--[reply-to valid 365d]
Please trim quotes & interleave reply for readability, don't be lazy

Old March 14th 06, 08:02 PM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, David M wrote - seen in uk.telecom.broadband:

(As end users, can we contact BT directly,

Have you bothered to read this (u.t.b) group at all before, or are you
just swanning-in without bothering to read previous discussions? I
would have thought the answer to that question would have been clear,
without needing to ask.

You only contact BT (telephone faults) directly, if you have a POTS
fault, i.e your plain old telephone service ain't working.

You don't get to talk to BT (wholesale ADSL) directly.

or do we have to go through our ISP?)

Your contract for ADSL service is with your ISP, and your ISP is who
you must go to for faults. Unless BT is your ISP, you don't get to
talk to BT directly, even though they (BT Wholesale) may (eventually)
be the people who need to rectify the fault.

(Don't shoot the messenger.)
Old March 14th 06, 11:54 PM posted to ed.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"David M" wrote in message

[...]

I may be in totally the wrong area here, but the following exchanges had
maintenance since Friday according to BT - from bt.broadband.announce. I
notice some of these were East and West Scotland.
Note sure why, but this info does not appear to be in the public domain.
This may have only affected BT retail customers, but as it pertains to
exchange maintenance it may have affected others

Friday 10th March
Aberfoyle 01877 East of Scotland
Acton 020 London West
Addiscombe 020 London South
Alsager 01270 West Midlands
Balmullo 01334 East of Scotland
Barnetby 01652 Sheffield and Lincoln
Belfast Ormeau 028 Northern Ireland
Bleasby 01636 East Midlands
Boness 01506 East of Scotland
Bradfield (Sth Yorks) 0114 Sheffield and Lincoln
Bridge Sollars 01981 Wales North
Broadway 01386 West Midlands
Bromfield 01584 Wales North
Bromyard 01885 Wales North
Buckie 01542 North of Scotland
Burghill 01432 Wales North
Calbourne 01983 South Downs
Canon Pyon 01432 Wales North
Carbost 01478 North of Scotland
Chester Le Street 0191 North East
Chester Le Street 0191 North East
Chirnside 01890 East of Scotland
Chivelstone 01548 Westward
Cockenzie 01875 East of Scotland
Connahs Quay 01244 Wales North
Corby Glen 01476 East Midlands
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cricklewood 020 London West
Cwmbran 01633 South Wales
Deeping St Nicholas 01775 East Midlands
Dethick 01629 East Midlands
Dinas Cross 01348 South Wales
Dolgellau 01341 Wales North
Downderry 01503 Westward
Drybrook 01594 Severnside
Dumfries 01387 West of Scotland
Dumfries 01387 West of Scotland
Ellesmere 01691 Wales North
Ewell 020 London South
Fleckney 0116 East Midlands
Folkingham 01529 East Midlands
Forfar 01307 East of Scotland
Fownhope 01432 Wales North
Garn Dolbenmaen 01766 Wales North
Gedney Drove End 01406 East Midlands
Girton 01223 East Anglia
Glasgow Bearsden 0141 West of Scotland
Glemsford 01787 East Anglia
Glenfield 0116 East Midlands
Gunnerside 01748 North East
Harewood End 01989 Wales North
Harlech 01766 Wales North
Harleston 01379 East Anglia
Hatfield Woodhouse 01302 Sheffield and Lincoln
Healing 01472 Sheffield and Lincoln
Hendon 020 London West
Hendon 020 London West
Hendon 020 London West
Hendon 020 London West
Hendon 020 London West
Hendon 020 London West
Hengoed 01443 South Wales
Highley 01746 Central Midlands
Hilderstone 01889 West Midlands
Holme Lacy 01432 Wales North
Homersfield 01986 East Anglia
Hounslow 020 London West
Hounslow 020 London West
Hounslow 020 London West
Hounslow 020 London West
Huggate 01377 Mid Yorkshire
Humberston 01472 Sheffield and Lincoln
Ilford North 020 London North
Keyingham 01964 Mid Yorkshire
Kidwelly 01554 South Wales
Kirby Cane 01508 East Anglia
Leamore 01922 Central Midlands
Limavady 028 Northern Ireland
Limavady 028 Northern Ireland
Lincoln 01522 Sheffield and Lincoln
Liverpool Lark Lane 0151 Liverpool
Llangarron 01989 Wales North
Llangennech 01554 South Wales
Longton (Lancs) 01772 Lancs and Cumbria
Mablethorpe 01507 Sheffield and Lincoln
Madley 01981 Wales North
Maldon 01621 East Anglia
Manea 01354 East Midlands
Marsh Chapel 01472 Sheffield and Lincoln
Marton 01253 Lancs and Cumbria
Melbourne 01759 Mid Yorkshire
Middlesbrough 01642 North East
Milford on Sea 01590 Solent
Mill Hill 020 London West
Mill Hill 020 London West
Mill Hill 020 London West
Mill Hill 020 London West
Morecambe 01524 Lancs and Cumbria
Neath 01639 South Wales
North Cave 01430 Mid Yorkshire
Ormskirk 01695 Liverpool
Parsons Green 020 Westminster
Parwich 01335 East Midlands
Penmachno 01690 Wales North
Polperro 01503 Westward
Pontefract 01977 Mid Yorkshire
Redhill 01737 London South
Royston (Sth Yorks) 01226 Sheffield and Lincoln
Ryhope 0191 North East
Ryhope 0191 North East
Shaw 01706 Lancs and Cumbria
Shepherds Bush 020 London West
Shepherds Bush 020 London West
Shepherds Bush 020 London West
Skyport 020 London West
Staines 01784 London West
Staines 01784 London West
Sunbury 01932 London South
Sunderland 01915 North East
Swinderby 01522 Sheffield and Lincoln
Thaxted 01371 East Anglia
Thwing 01262 Mid Yorkshire
Torcross 01548 Westward
Treharris 01443 South Wales
Upper Cwmtwrch 01639 South Wales
Waltham Cross 01992 London North
Wandsworth 020 London South
Whitton 01473 East Anglia
Wootton 01469 Sheffield and Linco

Monday 17th March

Abbottsbury 01305 Solent
Aldeburgh (Suffolk) 01728 East Anglia
Ambleside 01539 Lancs and Cumbria
Anfield 0151 Liverpool
Annalong 028 Northern Ireland
Anstey Mills 01398 Westward
Appleby in Westmorland 01768 Lancs and Cumbria
Ardglass 028 Northern Ireland
Ashover 01246 Sheffield and Lincoln
Ashreigney 01769 Westward
Ayr 01292 West of Scotland
Ayton 01890 East of Scotland
Banknock 01324 East of Scotland
Barrow-In-Furness 01229 Lancs and Cumbria
Bearwood 0121 Central Midlands
Blackburn 01254 Lancs and Cumbria
Terrington St Clements 01553 East Anglia
Wigton 01697 Lancs and Cumbria

Tuesday 14th March

Aberdeen Kingswells 01224 North of Scotland
Aberdeen Lochnagar 01224 North of Scotland
Albert Dock 020 London North
Altrincham 0161 Manchester
Barking 020 London North
Barking 020 London North
Belper 01773 East Midlands
Birmingham East 0121 Central Midlands
Blackfriars 0161 Manchester
Blanefield 01360 West of Scotland
Bognor Regis 01243 South Downs
Derby 01332 East Midlands
Glasgow Baillieston 0141 West of Scotland
Guiseley/Menston 0113 Mid Yorkshire
Ipswich Town 01473 East Anglia
Northern 0121 Central Midlands
Paisley 0141 West of Scotland
Stoke Potter (Stoke Trinity) 01782 West Midlands
Swansea Main 01792 South Wales
Terrington St Clements 01553 East Anglia
Wickford 01268 East Anglia
Wimbledon 020 London South
Winton 01202 Solent
Wisbech 01945 East Midlands