Cat 5 modem cable or standard extension cable?

Old March 14th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Cat 5 modem cable or standard extension cable?

My computer is 8 metres from the master socket. At present there is an 8
metre phone extension from the master socket to the room where the
router and PC are.
Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem cable
direct from the master socket to the router?
TIA for any feedback.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old March 14th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Paul
writes
My computer is 8 metres from the master socket. At present there is an 8
metre phone extension from the master socket to the room where the
router and PC are.
Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem cable
direct from the master socket to the router?
TIA for any feedback.
Paul.

If the extension cable is round and the pairs are twisted together then it will
make no difference as the signal will have passed over many hundreds of
metres of similar cable before reaching the house. If it is a flat extension
cable I'd be less confident.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old March 15th 06, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve @ Aceinternet

Hi Paul

Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem cable
direct from the master socket to the router?

You dont mention how you connect your PC to broadband, but by asking about a
"modem" cable, i suspect you are using a USB ADSL modem.

Using CAT5 modem cables, IMHO are a waste of money unless you have specific
problems. Any cabling in your house better than the normal external PSTN
network will not improve things.

If you are using an ADSL router, then either run a telephone extension cable
to the router by your PC, or run CAT5 (network) cable to your router by the
BT socket.

If you are using a (bad - in my opinion) USB ADSL modem, then you need to
run a telephone extension cable (standard) to your PC and USB modem.

As long as the telephone extension you use is good quality, and you don't
plug it into a microfilter, you should be fine. Just think about placing the
router in the best place to serve your computers via CAT5.

Steve
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 08456 388 955 | f: 08456 388 956 | e:

Old March 15th 06, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:46:15 UTC, Paul wrote:

My computer is 8 metres from the master socket. At present there is an 8
metre phone extension from the master socket to the room where the
router and PC are.
Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem cable
direct from the master socket to the router?

It may, it may not. For two years I ran a 15 metre flat cable past all
sorts of other cables. Never had any problems and got max speed most of
the time...even when I went to 2Mb/s. OTOH, if the signal is a bit
weaker for you, then it may make a difference. Suck it and see!

(I only stopped doing this because the router is now in a rack 50cm from
the telephone master socket).

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 15th 06, 07:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

In message , Anthony R. Gold
writes
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:46:15 +0000, Paul wrote:

My computer is 8 metres from the master socket. At present there is an 8
metre phone extension from the master socket to the room where the
router and PC are.
Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem cable
direct from the master socket to the router?

You may already have several kilometres of twisted pair cable from the
exchange to your master socket, so you might have figured for yourself
that 8 more metres could not possibly make any difference even if Cat5 was
a superior type of cable for DSL telephone lines - which it is not.

Tony

Yes, I had figured that out, I was just not sure about the quality of
the extension cabling as it seems to be flat, not twisted pair. Seems
it'll make no appreciable difference then.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old March 15th 06, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:
My computer is 8 metres from the master socket. At present there
is an 8 metre phone extension from the master socket to the room
where the router and PC are.
Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem
cable direct from the master socket to the router?

You may already have several kilometres of twisted pair cable from
the exchange to your master socket, so you might have figured for
yourself that 8 more metres could not possibly make any difference
even if Cat5 was a superior type of cable for DSL telephone lines
- which it is not. Tony

Yes, I had figured that out, I was just not sure about the quality
of the extension cabling as it seems to be flat, not twisted pair.
Seems it'll make no appreciable difference then.

Any twisted pair, solid cable will do, flat cables can tip you over
the edge if your line is close to it's limits..

Old March 15th 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

Paul wrote:
My computer is 8 metres from the master socket. At present there is an 8
metre phone extension from the master socket to the room where the
router and PC are.
Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem cable
direct from the master socket to the router?
TIA for any feedback.

As others have said, it shouldn't make a lot of difference - but...

I had a master socket with a secondary socket, used for a phone and DSL,
about 6 metres away connected using a B&Q telephone extension kit. I
later ran what was described as a "10 metre high quality broadband modem
cable" so the router could plug in to the line at the master socket and
the rest of the phone wiring could be connected through a single filter.

My average daytime downstream SNM immediately went from 21 dB to 28
(nighttime from 18 dB to 24.5). The upstream SNM and both attenuation
readings didn't change at all.

So, although it shouldn't make a difference it sometimes can.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).
Old March 15th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

From the sound "so the router could plug in to the line at the master
socket and the rest of the phone wiring could be connected through a
single filter" the changes were far more extensive than just the
replacement of one type of 10m of cable by another.

No. I have a main socket with a loose filter. The broadband cable
plugs into the unfiltered side of the filter and the extension telephone
cable/sky/telephone plug into the filtered side (through a doubler).
The secondary socket at the other end of the cable just has a dect phone
plugged in (no filter). The only change was the installation of the DSL
cable and the removal of one filter.

I wonder when we will be able to buy Monster brand phone extension leads
made from oxygen-free copper. There may be a market here for them :-)

The "high quality broadband modem cable" I got was only 11 quid (inc
postage) so, with the improvement I got, I was quite pleased.

Old March 15th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Paul" wrote in message
news
My computer is 8 metres from the master socket. At present there is an 8
metre phone extension from the master socket to the room where the router
and PC are.
Is it likely to have any impact on speed if I run a Cat 5 modem cable
direct from the master socket to the router?
TIA for any feedback.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

If the router is to be next to the PC, most unlikely.

If the router is to be relocated by the socket, then use a Cat5e cable from
the router to the PC.