Tiscali Broadband, its getting worse and worse

Old March 15th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Default Tiscali Broadband, its getting worse and worse

In recent months I've noticed my broadband speeds decreasing to unacceptable
levels. A few months again ping times were reasonably good on Tiscali, but
now hey, they are really bad. I have just been around to a friend who is
running tiscali 1mb and he is not even getting a reliable 512k at any time.
What is going on with this ISP and why are they getting away with providing
such crap speeds and pathetic ping times......

If you went into a butchers shop and asked for a half a pound of beef and he
gave you a quarter, you would soon be doing something about it???

Why can't this ISP deliver?

Old March 15th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"Jim" wrote in message
In recent months I've noticed my broadband speeds decreasing to
unacceptable
levels. A few months again ping times were reasonably good on Tiscali,
but
now hey, they are really bad. I have just been around to a friend who is
running tiscali 1mb and he is not even getting a reliable 512k at any
time.

I was experiencing similar problems until about 6 to 8 weeks ago, since that
time I have found web browsing to be generally quite reasonable. Various
test sites give speeds of 1 to 2 mbps during the evening - a big improvment
on previous performance.

Where I do have a significant problem is usenet performance - frequent
server time-outs. See yesterday's thread, headed "Tiscali blocking usenet
traffic?" I only use text newsgroups - no binary downloads - server timeouts
are a big problem for me and for others too, I suspect. Tiscali tell me that
I'm the only one to complain about this!

--
Chris

Old March 15th 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Poldie

Jim wrote:
In recent months I've noticed my broadband speeds decreasing to unacceptable
levels. A few months again ping times were reasonably good on Tiscali, but
now hey, they are really bad. I have just been around to a friend who is
running tiscali 1mb and he is not even getting a reliable 512k at any time.
What is going on with this ISP and why are they getting away with providing
such crap speeds and pathetic ping times......

If you went into a butchers shop and asked for a half a pound of beef and he
gave you a quarter, you would soon be doing something about it???

Why can't this ISP deliver?

I wrote to them about this (slow speeds), after spending ages over
several calls trying to diagnose the problem. Someone at `technical
services` informed me that I could only get 1meg, despite them happily
signing me up and charging me for 2. They offered me the choice of
cancelling (I was only 5 weeks into the contract then) or going onto 1
meg officially. I wanted the latter, but in writing, and a refund of
the money I'd spent on their 0870 numbers, and an apology for messing
me around so much, so I wrote to their customer services deparment in
Milton Keynes.

I followed it up with a phone call 2 weeks later, only to be told that
they take 3-4 weeks to reply. Apparantly they even take that long to
get back to their own technical department. The guy (in an Indian call
centre) assured me, though, that my letter definately reached them,
despite the fact that I didn't phone from home, not did I identify
myself in any way).

Old March 15th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

"The Invalid" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:51:36 -0000, "Jim" wrote:

In recent months I've noticed my broadband speeds decreasing to

unacceptable
levels. A few months again ping times were reasonably good on Tiscali,

but
now hey, they are really bad. I have just been around to a friend who is
running tiscali 1mb and he is not even getting a reliable 512k at any

time.
What is going on with this ISP and why are they getting away with

providing
such crap speeds and pathetic ping times......

If you went into a butchers shop and asked for a half a pound of beef and

he
gave you a quarter, you would soon be doing something about it???

Is Tiscali selling beef then ?

I bet you think your right clever eh?
WRONG !!

Old March 15th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"Poldie" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Your experience of Tiscali is how it is with ISP's who offer cheapo service
aimed at thick individuals who don't know the difference between broadband
and dial up speeds. Well lets face it, there is little difference between
dial-up and broadband speeds if you are with Tiscali broadband these days. A
couple of years ago, Tiscali was much much better than it is today, and they
were then charging 24.99 per month for 512k. I was happy to pay that much
and still would be if they offered a such a package which offered constant
reliable speeds etc. But alas they have chosen to be cheap and cheerful, to
offer broadband at prices too cheaply, encouraging loads of new customers
onto a service that was probably at its limit already. Now they can't
provide half decent speeds to anyone. The service is awful.

Old March 15th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Jim wrote:

In recent months I've noticed my broadband speeds decreasing to
unacceptable levels. A few months again ping times were reasonably good
on Tiscali, but now hey, they are really bad. I have just been around to
a friend who is running tiscali 1mb and he is not even getting a reliable
512k at any time. What is going on with this ISP and why are they getting
away with providing such crap speeds and pathetic ping times......

What ping times did they agree to provide you with when you signed up with
them?

If you went into a butchers shop and asked for a half a pound of beef and
he gave you a quarter, you would soon be doing something about it???

The trouble is, when you buy broadband, you buy it at some arbitrary
contention ratio [eg 50:1, 20:1, 10:1], and if it's any better than that,
there's not really a lot you can do about it. To eliminate congestion at
your exchange as a reason for poor speed, you'd need to try a service from
a different ISP on the same exchange. If you check your phone number at
samknows.com, it'll tell you if your exchange is contended.

Why can't this ISP deliver?

Because most people don't notice.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:05:56 up 3 days, 9:52, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Old March 15th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

Now I can fully understand that people complain about Tiscali. I am with
them since the Lineone days.
I can't complain about the speed this has always been excellent. My problem
is the poor (read understaffed)
customer support.

Bert.

Old March 15th 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

On 15 Mar 2006 19:18, alexd wrote:

The trouble is, when you buy broadband, you buy it at some arbitrary
contention ratio [eg 50:1, 20:1, 10:1], and if it's any better than
that, there's not really a lot you can do about it.

I think you meant "worse" not "better".

But it is well known that the ratio of 50:1 is not *actually* used.
Many comments from ISPs would have clarified there being significant
problems if ever such a contention level was approached.

To eliminate congestion at your exchange as a reason for poor speed,
you'd need to try a service from a different ISP on the same exchange.
If you check your phone number at samknows.com, it'll tell you if your
exchange is contended.

Except for services using DataStream where there may be heavy local
contention because of customer numbers without the exchange being
indicated as having any problems. I was lucky when the ISP was
using bought-in service from Tiscali that I had few problems, but
there were a lot of hops and it could have been easily affected
anywhere between here and London (or hit a busy router on that
route - Manchester, Gloucester, Bristol, Reading then London) and
onward to other networks to reach a remote server.
Old March 15th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , The Invalid
writes
If you went into a butchers shop and asked for a half a pound of beef and he
gave you a quarter, you would soon be doing something about it???

Is Tiscali selling beef then ?

NAh, scrag end...
--
Clint Sharp
Old March 16th 06, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"anon" wrote in message
[...]

My connect is very slow these days too, so Tiscali appears to have serious
speed issues.
Im lucky if I get 300k on a 1 megabit connection on speed tests.