ADSL Connection Problem

Old March 15th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson

Default ADSL Connection Problem

A friend is having a problem with their new ADSL line (Tiscali).

We've tried two different filters, two computers, one USB modem and one
Netgear router. Web-wise we've tried two different browsers. Connections
have been made directly into his main socket (not an NTE5) with all
other phones disconnected.

One of the PC's we've tried on his line is my laptop, which works
flawlessly with my ADSL at home.

Whatever combination equipment is used, things appear to connect. With
the Netgear for example, we get assigned an IP address, DNS server, and
can ping a variety of sites both by hostname and IP address. Also tried
telnetting to Tiscali's POP3 server and got the hello response back
indicating a connection was made. The Netgear reckons it's connected at
1 meg.

A "ping -t www.google.com" returns a success rate of around 80%, which
although isn't perfect, is at least something.

Of course these activities will only take the absolute minimum of
bandwidth, web browsing just doesn't work at all. "Page cannot be
displayed", "Timed out" etc.

We appear to have exhausted Tiscali's ideas for help, and despite
requests to do so, they don't appear to want to escalate things to BT.
The line outside his house is in pretty bad nick (brittle, and the outer
sheath missing in places). He reckons it's at least 20 years old.

Is it possible for the ADSL to connect, but at such a low speed that low
traffic applications like ping would work, but anything else would fail?

Any ideas how we can get this escalated, and ideally get an engineer out
Old March 16th 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris

"Simon Dobson" wrote in message
[...]

Could it be that the browser is configured to use a proxy? If you're
connected okay and can get icmp, DNS and POP3 traffic out then it sounds
more like a brower issue.

Chris.

Old March 16th 06, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson

chris wrote:

Could it be that the browser is configured to use a proxy? If you're
connected okay and can get icmp, DNS and POP3 traffic out then it sounds
more like a brower issue.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. Definitely no proxy set up in the browser
though :-(.. Either browser, on either computer!

Simon.
Old March 16th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Simon Dobson wrote:
A "ping -t www.google.com" returns a success rate of around 80%, which
although isn't perfect, is at least something.

Do the packets drop out at random, or in large groups.

If it is a line problem causing loss of DSL sync, the recovery time is fairly
large, consequently you will lose a lot of packets in one hit.
If you are losing a packet here, and another packet there, there are probably
network problems somewhere further down.

With your router plugged in, try a traceroute to see where your packets are
going, for instance, if I traceroute to google.co.uk from here, I get:

traceroute to www.l.google.com (66.249.87.104), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 192.168.42.1 (192.168.42.1) 0.872 ms 0.863 ms 0.825 ms
2 anchor-hg-1-l100.router.demon.net (194.159.161.32) 14.195 ms 13.784 ms
14.945 ms
3 anchor-access-3-v153.router.demon.net (194.159.161.97) 14.514 ms 14.003 ms
15.504 ms
4 anchor-inside-3-g2-0-2.router.demon.net (194.159.161.70) 15.804 ms 15.098
ms 14.581 ms
5 anchor-core-2-g6-0-1.router.demon.net (193.195.25.6) 15.854 ms 16.805 ms
15.551 ms
6 anchor-border-2-g1-0-1.router.demon.net (194.70.98.22) 183.110 ms 184.272
ms 198.563 ms
7 195.66.226.125 (195.66.226.125) 17.483 ms 15.650 ms 15.654 ms
8 72.14.238.246 (72.14.238.246) 16.349 ms 72.14.238.242 (72.14.238.242)
15.895 ms 72.14.238.246 (72.14.238.246) 15.733 ms
9 66.249.87.104 (66.249.87.104) 17.204 ms 17.668 ms 17.863 ms

Now work your way down the(your!) list, sending a number of pings to each, and
see what the packet loss rate is to try and find the point at which your packets
are getting lost.

Line 1 in the above is my local router. If I were getting packet loss here, I'd
suspect local wiring, local ethernet, or the router itself.

Line 2 is actually somewhat further away network-wise, because the router
encapsulates IP packets inside PPPoverADSL frames. Line two in my case is the
demon side of BT's 'home gateway'. A sudden increase in loss rate here suggests
a BT problem, but it could be an issue with the gateway.

Lines 3 to 6 in the above are assorted Demon internet network innards. If the
loss rate increases sharply here, it's definitely a Demon problem.

After that, we're in to other ISP's. In this case LINX peering network,
Google's perimeter network, and finally google.co.uk (one of them) itself.