Question regarding MAX DSL

Old March 15th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Default Question regarding MAX DSL

Does the speed at which the router syncs with the exchange change everytime
you connect?

I ask because I've discovered my SNR during the daytime is 10Db higher than
it is in the evening. Is this likely to be street lights and does it affect
all lines?

Thankyou

Dan

Old March 16th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Daniel wrote:

Does the speed at which the router syncs with the exchange change everytime
you connect?

It's rate adaptive which means that the speed can change at any time as
line quality varies.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just 14.98

Old March 16th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

Daniel wrote:

I ask because I've discovered my SNR during the daytime is 10Db higher than
it is in the evening. Is this likely to be street lights and does it affect
all lines?

You might want to wander over to ADSLGuide (www.adslguide.org.uk) and
look in the "BTWholesale ADSL Implementation" forum. There is a thread
there entitled "SNR margin. Why does it dip at night" that should help
answer your question.

A precis - there seems to be two main reasons for the night-time dip.

1) In the evening, as more users go on-line the crosstalk in the cables
increases causing increased noise.

2) Radio reception at night is better and so, as ADSL uses the same
frequencies as AM radio, most lines (especially those with a lot of
overhead) pick up a lot of extra AM radio noise. This explains why the
SNR gets worse just after nightfall and doesn't fully recover to just
before daybreak. 10 dB does seem a lot though - mine only changes by 3
to 4 dB.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).