force9

Old March 16th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

Default force9

My landlady has had force9 recommended to her as a BB ISP. Unless I am
missing something completely I cannot find any reference to this ISP at the
ADSL Guide. Can anyone here throw some light, good/bad experiences?

TIA

--
Peter

Old March 16th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Peter James wrote:
My landlady has had force9 recommended to her as a BB ISP. Unless I
am missing something completely I cannot find any reference to this
ISP at the ADSL Guide. Can anyone here throw some light, good/bad
experiences?

Force 9 is part of Plusnet.

Probably OK for light use but don't let her sign up if she is a heavy user.

Plusnet implements "traffic shaping" (or throttling) to some extent on all
accounts and this gets burdensome if you exceed their fair use limits, or
whatever it is called today.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old March 16th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Mar 2006 16:39, "Old Codger" wrote:

Plusnet implements "traffic shaping" (or throttling) to some extent on all
accounts and this gets burdensome if you exceed their fair use limits, or
whatever it is called today.

I think the PAYG with 10 GB/month gets to avoid most of the traffic shaping
and they're including free off-peak VoIP calls (must admit I have not tried
their service out, but assume it is OK) on the 19.99/month account. Peter.

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save with Plus.Net!!
Old March 16th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

My landlady has had force9 recommended to her as a BB ISP. Unless I
am missing something completely I cannot find any reference to this
ISP at the ADSL Guide. Can anyone here throw some light, good/bad
experiences?

Force 9 is part of Plusnet.

Probably OK for light use but don't let her sign up if she is a heavy
user.

OC is being disingenuous as usual! For 95% of internet users it is fine. If
she is into binary downloads and the like go elsewhere.

Peter Crosland

Old March 16th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Mar 2006 17:17, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

Force 9 is part of Plusnet.

Probably OK for light use but don't let her sign up if she is a heavy
user.

OC is being disingenuous as usual! For 95% of internet users it is fine.

On the contrary - his statement reflects the way things are, and none of
us know what the landlady's istuation (teenagers ?) or plans are (eg to
allow tenant/tenants to use the link) so a word of caution is sensible.

If she is into binary downloads and the like go elsewhere.

Isn't that on similar lines ? I've no idea how one gets to estimate
what proportion of users would find Plus.Net/Force9 suitable compared
with NewNet, Eclipse, IDnet, etc, etc, etc, but 95% seems optimistic,
considering the types of change that have been seen over 18 months.

--
USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from US $5 )
Old March 16th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"poster" wrote in message
news
On 16 Mar 2006 17:17, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

Force 9 is part of Plusnet.

Probably OK for light use but don't let her sign up if she is a heavy
user.

OC is being disingenuous as usual! For 95% of internet users it is fine.

On the contrary - his statement reflects the way things are, and none of
us know what the landlady's istuation (teenagers ?) or plans are (eg to
allow tenant/tenants to use the link) so a word of caution is sensible.

If she is into binary downloads and the like go elsewhere.

Isn't that on similar lines ? I've no idea how one gets to estimate
what proportion of users would find Plus.Net/Force9 suitable compared
with NewNet, Eclipse, IDnet, etc, etc, etc, but 95% seems optimistic,
considering the types of change that have been seen over 18 months.

Should be ok for most. I had over 90Gb last month and im still not into the
"bad boy level" or past any useage limits.

Old March 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

On 16 Mar 2006 19:23, "James" wrote:

Should be ok for most. I had over 90Gb last month ...

But what if the landlady has 4 students staying !

Old March 17th 06, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

"Peter James" wrote in message

Thank you for all responses. There are no teenagers, or students to wreck
the bandwidth, only me... , so on balance she would probably be OK. The
recommendation came from her bridge partner so she is inclined to give it
some credence.

Thanks again

--
Peter

Old March 17th 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 17 Mar 2006 07:45, "Peter James" wrote:

There are no teenagers, or students to wreck the bandwidth, only me...
... so on balance she would probably be OK.

just watch for the 60 month contract (the "free activation" is classed
as "free" by the ISP but it's "you stay, we pay" and is only free when
the customer stays as a customer for 5 years, else there's some charge
(on a sliding scale) to switch to anyone else, plus cost of the "free"
USB [yuk] modem they will send, and the cost of sending it, of course!
Old March 17th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 16 Mar 2006 16:32, "Peter James" wrote:

I cannot find any reference to this ISP at the ADSL Guide.

Since you are clued up, you may consider using the other site
http://www.samknows.com and see what other options exist
for the exchange you/she use, eg UK Online (LLU).

The exchange (Abingdon) has not been unbundled, and, according to the BT
Wholesale Availability Checker, it would appear to be getting somewhat
overloaded with a green for 256k only, so she might be disappointed
(assuming that the BT info is uptodate).

Thanks also for your other comments on the 'hidden 60 month contract', but
that probably would not be an issue.

--
Peter