How many wireless networks where you are ?

Old March 17th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I know everything

Default How many wireless networks where you are ?

I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

Old March 17th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jpd

"I know everything" wrote in message
I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

I've only got one other and thats also a netgear!

Old March 17th 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robster

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:34:13 +0000, JPD wrote:

"I know everything" wrote in message
I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

4 - one unsecured.

Signal strength varies from 2% to 12%

Old March 17th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"I know everything" wrote in message
I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

8 ... and only 3 of those are secure - and one of those is ours ;o)

Old March 17th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
I know everything wrote:
I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

Just because a network is marked as "insecure" doesn't mean you can
actually use it.

-- Richard
Old March 17th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

I know everything wrote:
I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

In St. James's, London where we have an office, my Sony laptop detects
15 WLAN's.
Old March 17th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Killa

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:30:12 -0000, Gizmo
wrote:

"I know everything" wrote in message
I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

8 ... and only 3 of those are secure - and one of those is ours ;o)

6 ... and only 1 of those is insecure - and that one is mine.

OTOH I know the WEP keys for some of those that are 'secure' - so they
are not really 'secure' at all, whereas doing anything with my
'insecure' WLAN would necessitate having the certificates to establish
a VPN over it (all other traffic being blocked). Given the choice,
I'd 'trust' the insecure WLANs round here far more than I'd trust the
secure ones. YMMV.
Old March 17th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I know everything wrote:
I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5
networks were shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation
where YOU are ?

In different rooms 6 but three are mine.
If I walk 50m there are another 4, all unsecured except mine.

Old March 17th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:59:13 -0000, "I know everything"
wrote:

I was quite suprised lately when I hit the refresh button, 5 networks were
shown all but one unsecured also ! What's the situation where YOU are ?

Fortunately 1 unsecured one so I was still able to access the net
after moving house and not having ADSL installed :-/
Felt like Ronnie Biggs for a few weeks there!

Lee.
--
lee at w2designs dot co dot uk

If I have one flaw, it's that I'm a perfectoinist.

Old March 17th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

There are 6 wireless networks around me. All but one secure. 3 of those are
using WPA, 2 using WEP and 1 without any encryption.

Dan