internetcalls incomming number

Old March 17th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
¬Stephen Hammond

Default internetcalls incomming number

What's the number like is it a 056 number ?

Stephen

Old March 17th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
wrote:

What's the number like is it a 056 number ?

Stephen

I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
still get the unobtainable tone .

0560 numbers are not accepted by most NTL exchanges, and NTL refuse to
enable these exchanges, therefore making 0560 numbers virtually
worthless, because most people on NTL will not be able to ring you.

Old March 17th 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

GwG wrote:

therefore making 0560 numbers virtually
worthless, because most people on NTL will not be able to ring you.

Oh I don't know - that might be an advantage.
Old March 17th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:03:49 GMT, "GwG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What's the number like is it a 056 number ?

Stephen

I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
still get the unobtainable tone .

0560 numbers are not accepted by most NTL exchanges, and NTL refuse to
enable these exchanges, therefore making 0560 numbers virtually
worthless, because most people on NTL will not be able to ring you.

If you are dialling via an ATA then just include the following in your
dial plan.

You don't need to do anything more than that. I don't suppose that all
056 numbers will work but my voipfone one does. If there are any
others that you want to call you can register them. Visit
sipbroker.com for details.
Of course, if you want people from cable to call you then you are
stuck - unless, of course, they call via 18866 etc. - the charge to
056 numbers, afaik, is tha same as for standard geographics. There
should be no trouble calling from BT - again, for the most part, 056
is considered the same as geographic.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 17th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DMac

What's the number like is it a 056 number ?

why would anyone want an 056 number?

Old March 18th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:34:05 GMT, wrote:

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:03:31 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

Of course, if you want people from cable to call you then you are
stuck - unless, of course, they call via 18866 etc. - the charge to
056 numbers, afaik, is tha same as for standard geographics. There
should be no trouble calling from BT - again, for the most part, 056
is considered the same as geographic.

Ok then Brian if someone was to call me using my voipcheap number
which is +445601562XXX what would they have to dial using their
expensive BT line or even more expensive telewest line taking into
consideration the extortionate 6p pr call surcharge .

1. Afaik you can't dial 056 numbers from NTL cable - not sure about TW
- all same company now anyway. That is why I said "you are stuck".
2. You can dial 056 numbers via the 18866 group on cable (and, of
course, BT) and the cost is the same as geo - or so the last
announcement I heard stated - i.e. the connection charge then 0p/min
3. It was posted, I think on the uk.telecom group, that the cost of
dialling 056 numbers, from BT, was the same as geographic and that
they were included in the packages in a similar, though not exactly
the same way, as geos. You'd have to google back to find the exact
detail - or check out with the uk.telecom group.

Until NTL included 056 numbers, and treat them the same as geos, which
they should, 056 number use is rather limited. Ofcom should give NTL a
kick over this. They don't seem to act over simple everyday things
that consumers need sorting out. They seem to me to be typical
administrators - good at procrastinating over wordy documents and
equally so on getting things done.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.