sync loss

Old March 19th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gavin

Default sync loss

I keep losing sync on my connection, the only way to get it back is to
pick up my phone and dial any number. It does not work if i just pick up
the phone and put it back down I have to dial a number.

I have connected to the master socket with just my modem, used a 2nd modem
and replaced the internal wiring but still the same thing happens.

Thanks for your help.
Old March 19th 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richardson

Gavin wrote:
I keep losing sync on my connection, the only way to get it back is to
pick up my phone and dial any number. It does not work if i just pick
up the phone and put it back down I have to dial a number.

I have connected to the master socket with just my modem, used a 2nd
modem and replaced the internal wiring but still the same thing happens.

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried connecting to the master socket with ALL extensions
(hardwires and plug-in-the front) removed? The normal beast for this is
faulty equipment, but it can also manifest itself if the bell wire
(terminal 3) is connected up. You may find that sync will be there until
you plug a phone in, then it drops out inside of a few seconds, pick up
the phone and away it goes. Are you 100% all extensions are diss'ed off
(disconnected) and it is still droping out? If so then it becomes a line
issue. Try a crude test at www.bt.com/faults. Feed it with bull**** and
let it test your line. If it finds anything external it will create a
job to fix it. If it does not it will warn you of possible charges and
ask you to confirm before making a job. In the later instance it is
usually the customers kit or wiring, but not always.
Old March 19th 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gavin

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:33:27 -0000, Daniel Richardson
wrote:

Gavin wrote:
[...]

I have taken out all internal wires back to where the bt line comes
through the wall and used the modem into the master socket with nothing
but that connected and no sync at all then.
If i have a phone on the line with the modem then it will only find sync
if i have dialed a number on the phone or if i am on a call. Its like the
phone call makes a connection. as soon as i am off the phone the sync will
be lost.
Old March 19th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richardson

wrote:

Gavin wrote:

[...]

If it won't sync in the master with jack**** else connected then either
the filter, modem or line has a fault in that order. Do you get any
crackling or noise on the line in normal use, any overhearing? Has the
broadband ever worked stabily at your address?
Old March 19th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:15:54 UTC, Gavin
wrote:

I have taken out all internal wires back to where the bt line comes
through the wall and used the modem into the master socket with nothing
but that connected and no sync at all then.
If i have a phone on the line with the modem then it will only find sync
if i have dialed a number on the phone or if i am on a call. Its like the
phone call makes a connection. as soon as i am off the phone the sync will
be lost.

I stand to be corrected by Kraftee and his mates, but this sounds like a
bad connection on the line itself. The use of the line temporarily
lowers the resistance of the bad joint, allowing it to work for a while.
Does it vary with weather/temperature, I wonder?

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 19th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richardson

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:15:54 UTC, Gavin
wrote:

I stand to be corrected by Kraftee and his mates, but this bad connection on the line itself. The use of the line temporarily
lowers the resistance of the bad joint, allowing it to work for a while. Does it vary with weather/temperature, I wonder?

Much that it pains me, I would mostly agree. The line probably has a
small high resistance break in it. At 50v no load it may be more
apparant than at 9V off hook load and thus full steam ahead. The fact
that it relies on making a call is probably nonsense and just the the
time it is taking to sync up. With juice it's more the norm to see a bad
connection give out under load, thus making things worse. With a phone
line that seems to hold less water.

The big problem will be getting it fixed if it is the case. The majority
of BT folk won't be aware of why it's happening, except for a few
expert engineers like crafty who would have more than a very good idea
from the fault report notes.

Old March 19th 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richardson

Daniel Richardson wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

CORRECTION like Kraftee who would have more than a very good idea
from the fault report notes.

Old March 19th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

The big problem will be getting it fixed if it is the case. The majority
of BT folk won't be aware of why it's happening, except for a few expert
engineers like crafty who would have more than a very good idea from the
fault report notes.

Which is why this must be reported to your ISP who will, once convinced,
report it to BT openreach to send a broadband savvy engineer.

Fred

Old March 19th 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richardson

The Simpsons wrote:

Which is why this must be reported to your ISP who will, once convinced,
report it to BT openreach to send a broadband savvy engineer.

And let us hope that this is broadband savvy engineer with UG
skills..............
Old March 19th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gavin

wrote:

Gavin wrote:

[...]

Broadband has worked for over 2 yrs at this address. When i was with my
last ISP i had the same problem that could not fix and BT came out and
said there was nothing wrong with the line, I then changed ISP and when
the new connection was made I have had 2yrs of service with no problems
now this fault has come back to haunt me again.

I hope BT send a good guy out to fix it and can find this break in the
cable i have these stats from my line if that tells anyone anything:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 54
ReceiveMargin_dB= 24
RxOutputPower_dBm= 0
SendAttenuation_dB= 31