ADSL wireless router with feature to enable wireless to a schedule

Old March 19th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rod

Default ADSL wireless router with feature to enable wireless to a schedule

I've currently got a Vigor 2600We and am thinking of upgrading to an
802.11g (or faster) router. One thing I find quite useful on the 2600
is the ability to start and stop the wireless service at specific
times.

I've obviously got the option of looking at one of the Vigor 2800
series routers which seem to have the same facilities, but was
wondering if there were any other routers that have similar timer
features.

Thanks

Rod
Old March 19th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

Rod wrote:
I've currently got a Vigor 2600We and am thinking of upgrading to an
802.11g (or faster) router. One thing I find quite useful on the 2600
is the ability to start and stop the wireless service at specific
times.

I've obviously got the option of looking at one of the Vigor 2800
series routers which seem to have the same facilities, but was
wondering if there were any other routers that have similar timer
features.

I too have used the timer on the Draytek - but on one site a simple
£40.00 Linksys WAP was connected using one of those mains power security
timers - does the trick. They only have it on core office hours -
basically when the reception area is open.
Old March 19th 06, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Colin Forrester wrote:
Rod wrote:
I've currently got a Vigor 2600We and am thinking of upgrading to an
802.11g (or faster) router. One thing I find quite useful on the 2600
is the ability to start and stop the wireless service at specific
times.

I've obviously got the option of looking at one of the Vigor 2800
series routers which seem to have the same facilities, but was
wondering if there were any other routers that have similar timer
features.

I too have used the timer on the Draytek - but on one site a simple
£40.00 Linksys WAP was connected using one of those mains power security
timers - does the trick. They only have it on core office hours -
basically when the reception area is open.

I love the lateral thinking on that - a simple solution rather than
looking for an all-electronic 'fix'.

I once did some consultation for a chemicals company that wanted a PC in
an area containing volatile chemicals so they could log some test
results (basically 10 numbers logged against an equipment serial
number). They had considered special containment for the PC or maybe a
touch screen in the wall. The test was only performed perhaps 5 times a day.

Out solution was to put the PC in the next office, have some test sheets
printed and for the operator to use a pencil then go and key in the
results in the other room.
Old March 19th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Nice to know someone else who is not adverse to offering "real world"
solutions!

Peter Crosland

Old March 19th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rod

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:06:39 +0000, Colin Forrester
wrote:

Rod wrote:
I've currently got a Vigor 2600We and am thinking of upgrading to an
802.11g (or faster) router. One thing I find quite useful on the 2600
is the ability to start and stop the wireless service at specific
times.

I've obviously got the option of looking at one of the Vigor 2800
series routers which seem to have the same facilities, but was
wondering if there were any other routers that have similar timer
features.

I too have used the timer on the Draytek - but on one site a simple
£40.00 Linksys WAP was connected using one of those mains power security
timers - does the trick. They only have it on core office hours -
basically when the reception area is open.

yes - as others have said, a nice lateral thinking solution.

However I need the router to be powered for the wired connection to
the linux box I use for a server.
(this is a personal setup rather than a business one).

I suppose the only reason I like the scheduled timer on my current
2600 is that it gives me an extra sense of security - its pretty
predictable when I will want to use the wireless connection. I
suppose the need for this is reduced if I used better security like
WPA. The 2800 range is just so _comparatively_ expensive that I feel
obliged to at least check if there is something cheaper that would do
the same job - at the end of the day this is mostly a "hobby" setup
rather than a critical business one.

Rod
Old March 19th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Rod:
The 2800 range is just so _comparatively_ expensive that I feel
obliged to at least check if there is something cheaper that would do
the same job..

You can pick up a 2600G on Ebay at about half the price of the 2800.
Apart from not being ADSL2, it's exactly the same and as you know they are
dead reliable
so no problem getting a second hand one.
If you lucky you may find 2600VG and save on calls too.
That's what I did ;-)
Regards,
Martin