problems uploading/surfing.

Old March 19th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jules

Default problems uploading/surfing.

Hi

This has me totally stumped...as mentioned before im not very good with
words or terms.

My lan consists of.

BY cable modemedimax router3 machines main win2k and 2 SE

above router connected to a wirelesss router Dlink 614+ via cat 45laptop
win2k

Things have been fine, added the wireless router a few weeks back.

Past few days when i try to upload to MY website, or another i look after
(WS ftp) the kps drops to bps and i get many errors like its crawling along
.. the errors say things like

Failed 'port'

Recieve error:blocking called cancelled

Transfer failed

yet i can download fine ( i made a new folder and dowloaded half a gb fine)

Also some websites are damn slow, esp ebay.

It doesnt matter if i upload from laptop, or the main machine on the cable
router. BUT i can play my usual online game fine.

I installed wifimanager 4 on the lappy and ok i dont really understand it
all but it says there are no other machines, only this lappy IP and no one
is using my wireless.

If i unplug/power off the wireless router and try to use the main desktop
machine for uploading (which i did for years before the lappy etc) i still
get the same problems. I tried restarting the cable modem/wireless also and
router etc

I wrote the above a few hours ago, things are no better, again most websites
are fine, yet ebay is v bad and sometimes i get the moziall ffox saying it
cant find the page.

Again i played online and was fine, very goodpings, BUT i used ICQ as have
done for a long time but for the first time ever it kept dropping.

I havent set up the WEP? sedcurity as i am struggling to comprehend it

Hope somone can help
thanks!

Old March 19th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
..(.)(.)..

may be due to MTU on the router - what is the MTU set on your router

Old March 19th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 19 Mar
2006 20:08:31 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Jules"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
Things have been fine, added the wireless router a few weeks back.

Past few days when i try to upload to MY website, or another i look after
(WS ftp) the kps drops to bps and i get many errors like its crawling along
. the errors say things like

Try using passive mode, or if it's already set to passive, turning passive
off.

I wrote the above a few hours ago, things are no better, again most websites
are fine, yet ebay is v bad and sometimes i get the moziall ffox saying it
cant find the page.

This sounds like dodgy DNS or a duff proxy to me.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
Old March 19th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jules

"..(.)(.).." wrote in message
may be due to MTU on the router - what is the MTU set on your router

Can you please explain what a MTU is, i have to do things by trial and
error, i have dyslexia so i cannot read too well frrom books . Im not stupid
just not great at reading.
cheers

Old March 19th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jules

"deKay" wrote in message
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 19

Mar
2006 20:08:31 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Jules"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
Things have been fine, added the wireless router a few weeks back.

Past few days when i try to upload to MY website, or another i look after
(WS ftp) the kps drops to bps and i get many errors like its crawling

along
. the errors say things like

Try using passive mode, or if it's already set to passive, turning passive
off.

Where would i find that, i dont ever remember coming accross acces for that
setting.

I wrote the above a few hours ago, things are no better, again most

websites
are fine, yet ebay is v bad and sometimes i get the moziall ffox saying

it
cant find the page.

This sounds like dodgy DNS or a duff proxy to me.

Possibly....i think :-)

deKay

Old March 19th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 19 Mar
2006 21:52:29 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Jules"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Where would i find that, i dont ever remember coming accross acces for that
setting.

In the FTP client settings somewhere, I'd imagine.

deKay
Old March 20th 06, 02:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jules

"deKay" wrote in message
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 19

Mar
2006 21:52:29 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Jules"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Where would i find that, i dont ever remember coming accross acces for

that
setting.

In the FTP client settings somewhere, I'd imagine.

deKay

just taken a look and i cant see anything in the settings etc to do that. I
cant see how that can be related to my other problems too

Old March 20th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

site resolution etc: are you on ADSL broadband? if so, very likely to
be MTU settings - usual symptoms are bit like crappy DNS - certain
sites just don't resolve. You can prove the point by doing a Whois on
a website, finding the IP address and then trying to access it via IP
rather than name: if it's still duff, it's MTU.
to change the MTU, download "TCP Optimizer" - google! - tick the box
for "modify all network adaptors", "PPPoE", "optimal settings" and then
go to the Max MUT page and hit "start". When finished, hit "Apply
Changes" and reboot. This needs to be done on all PCs - you can also
set it in your router usually although think it only needs to be right
on the client. It'll probably pick 1492 as a value.

For FTP, try FileZilla off sourceforge. It's free and great and will
probably have an active/passive setting in there.

Old March 20th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

In .uk within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Jules' wrote:

Where would i find that, i dont ever remember coming accross acces for

that
setting.

In the FTP client settings somewhere, I'd imagine.

deKay

just taken a look and i cant see anything in the settings etc to do that. I
cant see how that can be related to my other problems too

If you're using WS_FTP then it's in the 'session properties' box that
opens up when you click the main connect button (by default it opens when
you start wsftp too) - The box with a list of 'profile names' where you
choose which server to connect to.

It's under the Advanced tab on that box. (Passive Transfers)

I've a feeling it's set to passive by default, though I'm not sure.

Dave J.
Old March 20th 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jules

"Dave J." wrote in message
In .uk within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Jules' wrote:

Where would i find that, i dont ever remember coming accross acces for

that
setting.

In the FTP client settings somewhere, I'd imagine.

deKay

just taken a look and i cant see anything in the settings etc to do that.

cant see how that can be related to my other problems too

If you're using WS_FTP then it's in the 'session properties' box that
opens up when you click the main connect button (by default it opens when
you start wsftp too) - The box with a list of 'profile names' where you
choose which server to connect to.

It's under the Advanced tab on that box. (Passive Transfers)

I've a feeling it's set to passive by default, though I'm not sure.

Dave J.

thankyou Dave, i alterd it from Passive (as you said default) to active and
it uploaded quick many pages as before. Im going to see if i can find out
online what the differance is and why suddenly that had to be done.....