Virgin.net broadband

Old March 19th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ScoobyDoo

Default Virgin.net broadband

Thinking of recommending virgin.net broadband 14.99 512kb 3Gb package to a
friend who will be a low-end user.

I'm doing this as there's no 12 month contract so if his usage varies
greatly it'll be quite easy to move to another supplier. Anyone foresee any
problems with this as I understand that although Virgin may impose a 47
transfer fee if you migrate before 12 months, some ISP's like Pipex will pay
this fee if you migrate to their service?

Thanks

Old March 19th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

"ScoobyDoo" wrote in message
Thinking of recommending virgin.net broadband 14.99 512kb 3Gb package to
a friend who will be a low-end user.

I'm doing this as there's no 12 month contract so if his usage varies
greatly it'll be quite easy to move to another supplier. Anyone foresee
any problems with this as I understand that although Virgin may impose a
47 transfer fee if you migrate before 12 months, some ISP's like Pipex
will pay this fee if you migrate to their service?

Thanks

Tiscali is better value at 14-99, but Tesco (NTL) offer 512k unlimited for
17-97. No setup fee or charges, 12month contracts.

Old March 20th 06, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

ScoobyDoo wrote:

Thinking of recommending virgin.net broadband 14.99 512kb 3Gb package
to a friend who will be a low-end user.

Recommend away! I use that package (Plan 3) and I'm not exactly a low
user. I get a solid 512 K and it has never let me down once. Also has
one of the best binary newsgroups around. Incidentally, there are
rumors of Plan 3 being upgraded to 2 Mb this summer, after Plan 1
and 2 move from 2 Mb to 8 Mb.

Don't be put off by the NTL rebranding -- NTL cable service (generally
poor) is very different to their telephone line ADSL service. I've
been with Tiscali and BT Internet, and they both sucked big time.
Virgin.net is tons better than those. In other words, this is one
of the best budget packages out there. Definitely stay away
from any ISP that advertises their offering as "unlimited" and
costs less than 20, as the unlimited means "unlimited hassle."

Old March 20th 06, 06:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

wrote in message
oups.com...
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Thinking of recommending virgin.net broadband 14.99 512kb 3Gb package
to a friend who will be a low-end user.

Recommend away! I use that package (Plan 3) and I'm not exactly a low
user. I get a solid 512 K and it has never let me down once. Also has
one of the best binary newsgroups around. Incidentally, there are
rumors of Plan 3 being upgraded to 2 Mb this summer, after Plan 1
and 2 move from 2 Mb to 8 Mb.

Don't be put off by the NTL rebranding -- NTL cable service (generally
poor) is very different to their telephone line ADSL service. I've
been with Tiscali and BT Internet, and they both sucked big time.
Virgin.net is tons better than those. In other words, this is one
of the best budget packages out there. Definitely stay away
from any ISP that advertises their offering as "unlimited" and
costs less than 20, as the unlimited means "unlimited hassle."

Could not agree more. Virgin / Solid connection / Newsgroups / support that
works.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old March 21st 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Nerk" wrote in message
reenews.net...
ScoobyDoo wrote

Thinking of recommending virgin.net broadband 14.99 512kb 3Gb package to
friend who will be a low-end user.

I'm doing this as there's no 12 month contract so if his usage varies
greatly it'll be quite easy to move to another supplier. Anyone foresee
any
problems with this as I understand that although Virgin may impose a 47
transfer fee if you migrate before 12 months, some ISP's like Pipex will
pay
this fee if you migrate to their service?

Rebranded NTL. There are better ISPs

But being rebranded NTL means you get to use NTLs
news.ntli.net newsserver, which is working well theses days

(i'm using it now)

from NTL at the moment, but have also from Virgin and Tesco ISPs,
both being hosted on NTLs servers

Steve Terry