Serviced office Avaya phone Asterisk VoIP question

Old March 20th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
corb

Default Serviced office Avaya phone Asterisk VoIP question

Hi All,

I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya Index
2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but we
are dependant on the main number incoming number.

I would like for the 3 Avaya phone line extensions to be connected to an
Asterisk server somehow, and then it would be good if we could use sip based
phones to make outgoing calls via the asterisk server and VOIP. We could
then also use DDI provided by VOIP provider etc and use the advanced pbx
features, we only have a single company number provded.

This leads me to my question, is the above possible (keeping in mind I don't
have access to the Avaya Index phone system except to what is in the
office), what additional hardware is required, and how difficult would the
setup be?

Many thanks for all your help in advance, and I apologise if this is the
incorrect group to post, if so can someone recommend a more appropriate
group?

Craig.

Old March 21st 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
corb

wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:10:39 GMT, "corb"
wrote:

I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya
2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but
we
are dependant on the main number incoming number.

Pay to divert the main incoming to a new VOIP system. The Avaya should
have a divert all option or *21* code.

The new VOIP system will come with it's own 020 number - you divert
your old number to the new one.

Else, port your main number to the new VOIP provider.

Voipfone.co.uk is very easy to use, you can set up multiple
extensions with their own phone numbers, music on hold, call queuing,
IVR on the way soon, call rates reasonable, reliable, they offer
number porting so you can bring your number with you, they also offer
bundle minute deals. Line rental around 2 a month per extension, plus
you pay 2 if you have 020 numbers. If you use 0870 you don't pay the
extra rental.

Buy the snom range of IP phones which cost anything from 100 to 200.

Unfortunately the main office number belongs to the serviced office complex,
in addition we get charged so high for the calls included diverted calls.

Old March 23rd 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

corb wrote:

I work in a small office based in the UK, we are provided with 3 Avaya
2940 phones h232 protocol ? We pay extortionate rates for the system but
we are dependant on the main number incoming number.

ITYM H.323. Get a non-geo number you can take anywhere with you, redirect it
to a VoIP DDI and stick a voicemail message on your old number saying that
your number has changed to $VOIP-DDI.

I would like for the 3 Avaya phone line extensions to be connected to an
Asterisk server somehow, and then it would be good if we could use sip
based phones to make outgoing calls via the asterisk server and VOIP. We
could then also use DDI provided by VOIP provider etc and use the advanced
pbx features, we only have a single company number provded.

To get incoming call termination over VoIP you'll need quite a degree of
control over your internet connection - usually involving port forwarding
etc. If you've got that much control, you'll probably be able to get a PSTN
circuit installed. You could then connect your Asterisk to that.

This leads me to my question, is the above possible (keeping in mind I
don't have access to the Avaya Index phone system except to what is in the
office), what additional hardware is required, and how difficult would the
setup be?

I presume your Avaya IP phones connect back to the PBX via Ethernet [or
PoE]? In which case, an ethernet card is all you need. Unfortunately
having done a quick google, it looks like Avaya speaks a mildly different
dialect of H.323 to everybody else, which effectively means it won't be any
use to you :-(

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
13:38:23 up 11 days, 4:24, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

Old March 27th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
corb

"alexd" wrote in message ...
corb wrote:

[...]

Hi, thanks for the info.