Ebay slow after installing linksys router

Old March 20th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Ebay slow after installing linksys router

Hi - I recently installed a linksys WRT4G router to make a DSL cable
modem
connection available simultaneously to both a winxp pc (via ethernet)
and a mac ibook (via Airport wireless connection).
This works fine, except that pages on ebay are loading VERY slowly, if
at all. They had loaded quickly when either the pc or ibook was
connected directly to the modem. Other sites present to no problem at
all.

I've searched the forums but can't find a solution. A few people have
mentioned possible configurations on a pc that might affect things (eg.

Hosts file, pc spyware), but seeing as I've got the same problem on the

ibook which is connecting to the router independently of the pc then
surely in my case the problem must lie somewhere within the router's
configuration?

Any ideas?

Old March 21st 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article .com
wrote:
Hi - I recently installed a linksys WRT4G router to make a DSL cable
modem
connection available simultaneously to both a winxp pc (via ethernet)
and a mac ibook (via Airport wireless connection).
This works fine, except that pages on ebay are loading VERY slowly, if
at all. They had loaded quickly when either the pc or ibook was
connected directly to the modem. Other sites present to no problem at
all.

It's probably either an eBay problem or an ntl problem, and nothing to
do with yout router.
Old March 21st 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
: In article .com
: wrote:
: Hi - I recently installed a linksys WRT4G router to make a DSL
cable
: modem
: connection available simultaneously to both a winxp pc (via
ethernet)
: and a mac ibook (via Airport wireless connection).
: This works fine, except that pages on ebay are loading VERY
slowly, if
: at all. They had loaded quickly when either the pc or ibook was
: connected directly to the modem. Other sites present to no problem
at
: all.
:
: It's probably either an eBay problem or an ntl problem, and nothing
: do with yout router.

Agree. Used to get it all the time with NTL. They said it was the
router. I changed it, no different.
Sacked NTL and went to BT. Plugged in an ethernet modem to the router
and it's not missed a beat.
Conclusion was it was NTL they had oversubscribed the node and it was
not able to cope. The engineer told me as much when he collected the
modem.
It manifests itself suddenly and the connection is one extra NTL
broadband line has been provided and it's the straw that breaks the
networks back.

Old March 23rd 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

hmm. I'm not so sure... plugged cable modem back in directly to ibook
via ethernet and connection speed back to normal. The pages seem to
just load about 90% and then just hang... as though something is timing
out... can't replicate the problem on any other site though. Weird.

Old March 23rd 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

what I mean is that the pages hang when the router is being used...
direct connection to modem is fine.

Old March 24th 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

aha! Fixed it. Turned out to be the MTU setting on the router...
default was 1500 - dropped it to 1452 and now it runs perfectly.