My voip experience

Old March 20th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick Tully

Default My voip experience

I'm new to all this, but I've subscribed to Viop Stunt. I'm using a
USB 'phone, in the UK.

It's great to be able to call my brother in Malaysia free, and
relatives in Ireland likewise.

I do get complaints however, about feedback from the other end, i.e.
they can hear their voices coming back.

What's the best set-up to avoid this?

Any advice would be wecomed with my thanks.

Mick.

Old March 20th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

Mick Tully wrote:
I'm new to all this, but I've subscribed to Viop Stunt. I'm using a
USB 'phone, in the UK.

It's great to be able to call my brother in Malaysia free, and
relatives in Ireland likewise.

I do get complaints however, about feedback from the other end, i.e.
they can hear their voices coming back.

What's the best set-up to avoid this?

Any advice would be wecomed with my thanks.

Mick.

1st ditch the el cheapo USB phone and get a ATA and use a "proper" phone
Old March 21st 06, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:51:00 GMT, Mark wrote:

Mick Tully wrote:
I'm new to all this, but I've subscribed to Viop Stunt. I'm using a
USB 'phone, in the UK.

It's great to be able to call my brother in Malaysia free, and
relatives in Ireland likewise.

I do get complaints however, about feedback from the other end, i.e.
they can hear their voices coming back.

What's the best set-up to avoid this?

Any advice would be wecomed with my thanks.

Mick.

1st ditch the el cheapo USB phone and get a ATA and use a "proper" phone

Agreed!!
If you are new to this you might not understand the jargon.
ATA is an Analogue Telephone Adapter. You plug it into your router
and attach an ordinary telephone to it. You don't need to have your
computer switched on. Unlike Skype etc. it isn't a toytown telephone
system - it uses SIP. If you haven't got a router you can get an
router-ATA or use an ATA that goes between your broadband modem and
your computer (such as an appropriate Grandstream model.).
You can attach all the phones in your house to it if you wish - within
the REN limitations of the ATA. If you use something like a Sipura
SPA-3000 you can have your voip and landline phone service connected
to the same phone(s).
Check out these sites for information:-
voip-info.org on
http://tinyurl.com/q6beb
and voxilla on
http://voxilla.com

Popular voip operators include:-
voip.co.uk - best for UK tariffs
vopifone.co.uk
- Excellent for incoming services (voicemail etc) - Free 056
numbers
voiptalk.co.uk
sipgate.com - free geo. numbers
and, if you like to pay more, voxilla.com
Check on google groups as to what people think of the various
operators.
Personally, if you are not all that clued up technoically and don't
want to spend too much time learning, I'd go to BUY NOT RENT, an
UNLOCKED, ready set up, ATA from voip.co.uk or voipfone.co.uk

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 21st 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick Tully

Many thanks Mark, but can you explain what " ATA and proper phone"
means?

Sorry, but I *am* a beginner.

Thanks,
Mick.

Old March 21st 06, 02:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Mick Tully:
Many thanks Mark, but can you explain what " ATA and proper phone"
means?

Sorry, but I *am* a beginner.

Thanks,
Mick.

Proper phone is your ordinary corded or (DECT) cordless phone you use on your
normal landline, you plug these into the ATA (explained previously). You then
use the phone as you would your BT/cable service.

I have a LinkSys PAP2 ATA and use both www.sipgate.co.uk and www.voipstunt.com
, the PAP2 is connected to my router, again explained previously are various
options.

Old March 21st 06, 02:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mick Tully" wrote in message
oups.com
Many thanks Mark, but can you explain what " ATA and
proper phone" means?

ATA - Analogue Telephone Adaptor - as described in another post, it is a
device you plug into your router (or you can get routers with an ATA built
in, I use the Fritz!Box Fon from AVM www.avm.de/en)

Proper phone - what you use on your landline. Plug one or more of these
into the ATA.

Sorry, but I *am* a beginner.

No problem, we all were once.

Ivor

Old March 21st 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
old man

I take it this means the ATA automatically detects which protocol the
incoming call is using and does its thing?
What occurs if you have a number of extensions and some one is on the
landline, on another phone. Can you still make / receive a voip call via the
ATA?
Also if you are using voip on this ATA can calls still be made from the std
line?

Thanks, still trying to understand which hw / what service to go for.

Old March 21st 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick Tully

What a helpful and friendly NG!

Thanks to all, for your help and advice.

Mick.

Old March 23rd 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
pzboyz

Ivor Jones wrote:

No problem, we all were once.

Ivor

And with voip, it seems there is still much to be learnt ... so staying
an expert or 'know-it-all'(c) is kinda hard too.

pzboyz
Old March 23rd 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
muzz

Well here is MY VOIP experience whcih may help you too ! Started out with
Skype then tried most of the other 'Soft' ones. Eventually heard of the
freebies on VOIPstunt and got myself an ATA. I got one of these rather than
a USB phone because I had payed for Skype out before, but the missus didn't
use it cos she couldn't be bothered firing up the PC to make a call !
So anyway the Grandstream Budgetone 486 plugs into my router then my normal
cordless phone plugs into it. The 486 gets setup with my login details for
VOIPstunt and stays connected. I just pick up my phone and phone in the
normal manner, the call is VOIP so 'for now' it's free UK calls.
I can access the 'normal' phone line by dialling *00.
I have now sent the 486 back because it didn't do the Caller ID from the BT
line, I have ordered a Sipura SPA-3000.

--
Muzz
my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com