ADSL Max enabled on 31/03/06...

Old March 21st 06, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jpd

Default ADSL Max enabled on 31/03/06...

With ADSL max being enabled on my exchange on the 31/03/06 does this mean
that I will be getting much faster speeds then 1Meg?

Old March 21st 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

jpd wrote:
With ADSL max being enabled on my exchange on the 31/03/06 does this mean
that I will be getting much faster speeds then 1Meg?

If you are not already on 2Mbit, then chances are that your line is already
running at the highest stable speed. ADSLmax is not new technology (perhaps you
are thinking of ADSL2+), it's merely letting the existing technology work at the
highest rate that it can do. It is, I think, a time-wasting exercise from BT to
avoid the expense of rolling out ADSL2+, but that it a matter of opinion. The
additional speed, should Demon decide to take advantage of the bulk-upgrade,
will be welcomed, _especially_ if it includes an upstream stream increase.

However, strange things can happen. ADSLmax is rate-adaptive, so in theory it
could run faster if your line is capable of doing so. It may be that your line
was restricted to only 1Mbit because the engineer responsible for the line
testing dribbled into his test kit, or tested the wrong pair, or ...?
Old March 21st 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I know everything

"Jim Howes" wrote in message
jpd wrote:
[...]

I am using a wireless router. Does anyone know how I can get the details of
my line via a website etc instead of calling BT for the info. I presume I
will not automatically get the improved speeds after 31st unless my ISP
enables the connection to do so ??

Old March 21st 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nut

I know everything wrote:

I am using a wireless router. Does anyone know how I can get the
details of my line via a website etc instead of calling BT for the
info. I presume I will not automatically get the improved speeds
after 31st unless my ISP enables the connection to do so ??

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Will give you a rough idea of your current speed.

Old March 21st 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Jim Howes wrote:

jpd wrote:
With ADSL max being enabled on my exchange on the 31/03/06 does
this mean that I will be getting much faster speeds then 1Meg?

If you are not already on 2Mbit, then chances are that your line is
already running at the highest stable speed.

Well, erm. At the moment your line speed would be pre-set in factors
of 2 (512k, 1M, 2M), whereas Max will twiddle the speed in smaller
increments until it gets optimum results.

So, if your current rate is the best pre-selected rate that the line
can use, you would be unlikely to get the speed doubled, but you might
get *some* improvement.

Mine actually went up from 2M to about 5.5M, but that's because 2M was
what I originally asked for (evidently the line would already have
supported 4M, if it had been on offer).
Old March 21st 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

Nerk wrote:

Are we mindreaders? What ISP are you on?

While it may help to know which ISP is being used, to be able to tell
what their policies/plans for regrading might be, the answer is not
really that much related to which ISP, but whether the line would
be able to provide a higher speed, or not. Unless the user was
deliberately on the current speed (because charges from some ISPs
depend on the speed of the connection) then one has to assume their
line is incapable of a stable connection at double the current speed,
though of course when a regrade is done, it might be able to show a
significant improvement.

However, some might find their line will settle down to a stable
speed which is lower than they get at present.
Old March 21st 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
jpd wrote:
With ADSL max being enabled on my exchange on the 31/03/06 does this mean
that I will be getting much faster speeds then 1Meg?

Almost every exchange is marked for ADSL max on 31/3, so I'd take it
with a pinch of salt. The chances of BT really enabling them all on
that date seem slim...

-- Richard
Old March 21st 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Jim Howes wrote:
jpd wrote:
With ADSL max being enabled on my exchange on the 31/03/06 does
this mean that I will be getting much faster speeds then 1Meg?

If you are not already on 2Mbit, then chances are that your line is
already running at the highest stable speed.

Sorry, must disagree with you on this point, as even the old limits
for speed were a little conservative & so you could be slightly over
loop loss limits for 2Mb but have a great SNR (which after all is the
real limitation) with MaxADSL/ADSLMax you could get faster speeds,
beware unfortunately for a few people it could lead to slower synch
speeds as well..

ADSLmax is not new
technology (perhaps you are thinking of ADSL2+), it's merely
letting the existing technology work at the highest rate that it
can do. It is, I think, a time-wasting exercise from BT to avoid
the expense of rolling out ADSL2+, but that it a matter of opinion.
The additional speed, should Demon decide to take advantage of the
bulk-upgrade, will be welcomed, _especially_ if it includes an
upstream stream increase.

However, strange things can happen. ADSLmax is rate-adaptive, so
in theory it could run faster if your line is capable of doing so.
It may be that your line was restricted to only 1Mbit because the
engineer responsible for the line testing dribbled into his test
kit, or tested the wrong pair, or ...?

How about remembering what the limitations were before having a pop at
the field engineers who do a very thankless task. They didn't make
them they were just expected to work to them & raise revenue as
well....

Old March 21st 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

I know everything wrote:
"Jim Howes" wrote in
message ...
jpd wrote:
[...]

Your wireless router should have in it's HTML accessible config a
diagnostic page. There you should find a rough guide to how well your
line is working (very rough in some cases, I've got a DF-Link 604T
where if I believed the diag. I shouldn't even be getting 512 let
alone 1Mb)