What the hell is wrong with this...

Old March 21st 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Barnes

Default What the hell is wrong with this...

Apparently as a result of Wanadoo dumping their newsgroups this
commercial usenet provider is offering special offer cheap usenet
accounts to Wanadoo users only...

http://www.ak47.org/wan.html

I'm not on Wanadoo (thank god) but I really want to sign up for that
offer. So I thought why not get a "free" 0845 Wanadoo account to sign
up from so I can be eligible?

Ha, sneaky eh. Except I didn't count on Wanadoo doing worse websites
than they do usenet...

I tried signing up at Wanadoo for their PAYG, and it keeps giving me a
popup javascript saying I need to be over 0 years old. WTF? My YOB is
even the example they give "1972"...

I even tried turning off javascipt, getting past the error, reloading
the next page with javascipt on, because for some reason it doesn't
display right without javascript, and then right at the end it says
there's an error... yes, the same error...

Can somebody tell me if it's just me or what? I've been trying this
for ages. Just put in whatever info and let me know if it works or if
you get the popup...

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/payg/

I really need to get a Wanadoo account so I can get that usenet
account...

Somebody help!

Col

Old March 21st 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Colin Barnes wrote:
[...]

Have you checked whether any account you make under that offer will be tied
to that wannadoo account?
You might have to use that dialup account to use it.

Old March 21st 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Beck wrote:

I really need to get a Wanadoo account so I can get that usenet
account...

Somebody help!

Have you checked whether any account you make under that offer will
be tied to that wannadoo account?
You might have to use that dialup account to use it.

It's pretty clear from the URL quoted by the OP that you have to be
physically connected to Wanadoo when signing up for this news account - and
your application will be rejected if you're not presenting an IP address
from the Wanadoo range. Whether this also applies when you *use* the news
account, who knows - but it could cramp your style a bit if it does!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 21st 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel Richards

Colin Barnes wrote:
[...]

Don't bother, a cheap basic service like that offered by teranews will
be a better deal. www.teranews.com

Old March 21st 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Barnes

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:39:24 -0000, Nerk wrote:

Colin Barnes wrote

[...]

Does Claranews know you're spamming?

Given that server you are promoting here just happens to be from the
same people who provided you with the free usenet account you are
posting through, I don't think you are in any position to talk about
other people spamming...

But feel free to write to Claranews and see if they also define spam
as "asking whether other people have a problem with the Wanadoo signup
page"...

There are dozens of pay services around and many of them will have a
better offer than a UK based company that can only a news reseller.
For example you can pay about 5 for a 8Gb block from Octanews which
will last years on text, with the added benefit of access to binary ng's
for that odd bit of pron you prolly need.

Given that you believe 5 for 8GB represents better value than 9 for
24GB, and given that you believe that the 9 days binary retention that
Octanews advertises is better than the 3-5 _weeks_ that AK47
advertises, it's pretty clear you don't have a clue about this subject
and simply wish to promote the folks who gave you that free account
you're posting through...

If you can't stretch to 9 for a usenet account that's too bad... In
fact, given that you're relying on a free usenet account to post here,
I see no evidence you can even stretch to 5 for the very Octanews
account you're promoting...

I've used numerous pay Usenet servers since the 1990s... I have
usually had several to download and post from at any given time... I
know more about them than you ever will... I don't need any lessons on
how or where to spend my money from a clueless gob****e wannabe-troll
like you, who thinks all you get on binary groups is the "odd bit of
pron"...

Let me know if you feel like answering what I originally posted...

Old March 22nd 06, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Colin Barnes" wrote in message

[...]

Why not use a decent news provider such as http://news.individual.net ?

Ivor

Old March 22nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Colin Barnes wrote:

[...]

Using FF? I just tried it and got the error you did. Tried it with IE
and it worked, or at least didn't give the same error. It obviously
hasn't occurred to Wanadoo that some people aren't under the Microsoft
jackboot.

Old March 22nd 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Why not use a decent news provider such as http://news.individual.net ?

Agreed

Or if the OP also wants binaries, or long retention periods:
www.giganews.com

Old March 22nd 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Barnes

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:53:25 -0000, "Gizmo" wrote:

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Why not use a decent news provider such as http://news.individual.net ?

Agreed

Or if the OP also wants binaries, or long retention periods:
www.giganews.com

Believe it or not I do actually know about news providers and already
use several different ones. Giganews charges $7.99 a month for 2GB...
under this offer http://www.ak47.org works out at about 75 PENCE a
month for the same... quite a considerable difference...

GN has longer retention but imho anything over about 2-3 weeks is
redundant anyway... most current/new material is reposted multiple
times... it's fine if you're getting it as a bonus, but not if you are
paying for it... GN is one of the most expensive NSPs out there...

As for individual.net... why would I pay about a tenner a year for
text only when I can get every newsgroup including binaries for about
the same price at AK47?

Plus... take this how you want to... I don't trust Germany wrt Usenet
privacy after reading years ago about what headers ISPs there put in
your messages...

Given the choice I will choose a Usenet server that doesn't put any
info they don't need into article headers... whether encrypted or
not... And there is no requirement for NNTP-Posting-Host or X-Trace
headers that GN, NIN and RFN (or Claranews or Plusnet) put in
headers...

Thanks for the advice... but... thanks to jeremy winters post I have
been able to sign up to Wanadoo and AK47.