Cost to call mobile phones

Old March 21st 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joao Saraiva

Default Cost to call mobile phones

Hi All

Is there any technical reason why call to MOBILES are so much more expensive
than calls to LANDLINES when using voip (skype for example) ?

Or it is just the case that mobile operators are greedy and charge more ?

I would appreciate your informed posts ...
Rgds
JS

Old March 21st 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Joao Saraiva:

?

Or it is just the case that mobile operators are greedy and charge
more ?

I would appreciate your informed posts ...
Rgds
JS

Mobile phone networks have higher termination fees, therefore the cost is
higher to call them, though VoIP providers might add a little more than usual
on top to compensate for the lower (or free) cost to call landlines.

--
For 5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

Old March 21st 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Joao Saraiva wrote:
Is there any technical reason why call to MOBILES are so much more expensive
than calls to LANDLINES when using voip (skype for example) ?

Or it is just the case that mobile operators are greedy and charge more ?

Mobile operators charge other telcos (including BT) more to terminate
calls than landline operators charge. Therefore it costs you as a retail
customer more as well as your provider has to cover their costs.

It's probably more complicated than that if you look into price
regulation etc, but that is the gist of it.
Old March 21st 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JPG

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:48:34 -0000, "Joao Saraiva"
wrote:

Hi All

Is there any technical reason why call to MOBILES are so much more expensive
than calls to LANDLINES when using voip (skype for example) ?

Or it is just the case that mobile operators are greedy and charge more ?

I would appreciate your informed posts ...

It's particularly galling when calls to US mobiles are free to about
3p/min. I notice the new Tesco voip is charging 10p /min to UK
mobiles - a good deal less than most other methods.

JPG

Rgds
JS

Old March 21st 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joao Saraiva

Thanks all for your input.

I was going to make the point of the cost of the calls to USA mobiles ...
practically the same as to landlines. Is it the case that major landline
operators are also mobile operators ?

Old March 22nd 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Joao Saraiva formulated the question :

wrote:

Hi All

Is there any technical reason why call to MOBILES are so much more
expensive than calls to LANDLINES when using voip (skype for example) ?

Or it is just the case that mobile operators are greedy and charge more ?

I would appreciate your informed posts ...

It's particularly galling when calls to US mobiles are free to about
3p/min. I notice the new Tesco voip is charging 10p /min to UK
mobiles - a good deal less than most other methods.

JPG

Rgds
JS

Thanks all for your input.

I was going to make the point of the cost of the calls to USA mobiles ...
practically the same as to landlines. Is it the case that major landline
operators are also mobile operators ?

In the US, the vast majority of mobile plans charge the recipient for
the call (or at least the call comes out out the /recipient's/
inclusive minutes)

In addition, there is no real difference between mobile & landline
number ranges - indeed, you can port a number from one to the other.

The argument for this model is "if you choose to go out & about, why
should /I/ have to pay extra for the privilege of calling /you/?"

Old March 22nd 06, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Joao Saraiva:
Thanks all for your input.

I was going to make the point of the cost of the calls to USA mobiles
... practically the same as to landlines. Is it the case that major
landline operators are also mobile operators ?

USA works differently, and why mobile take up was/is slow.

The extra cost is passed to the person you are calling, that is they have to
pay to receive your call, either by a per cent rate or out of bundled minutes.

Old March 22nd 06, 03:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Joao Saraiva" wrote in
message
Thanks all for your input.

I was going to make the point of the cost of the calls to
USA mobiles ... practically the same as to landlines. Is
it the case that major landline operators are also mobile
operators ?

No, it's that US mobiles are not differentiated from landlines for
charging as the mobile user pays the mobile part of the call, much as you
do if you roam abroad (only it's a lot cheaper..!)

You cannot tell from a US number whether it is mobile or fixed and it
doesn't matter. Numbers can be ported from one to the other as well.

Ivor

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old March 22nd 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

"Joao Saraiva" wrote in message
Hi All

Is there any technical reason why call to MOBILES are so much more

expensive
than calls to LANDLINES when using voip (skype for example) ?

Or it is just the case that mobile operators are greedy and charge more ?

Yes its the greedy operators. Mobile phone calls are expensive. because its
a habit of mobile operators.

They keep getting away with ripping folks off, because the UK people seem to
accept whatever cost the operators set.

If they started kicking up a stink and stopped sing the silly mobile, they
would soon reduce the costs.

They would have to, to survive.

While ever they keep getting dumb UK people making them massive profit, they
will continue to do so.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DMac

Mobile phone networks have higher termination fees, therefore the cost is
higher to call them, though VoIP providers might add a little more than
usual on top to compensate for the lower (or free) cost to call landlines.

What I cannot understand is you can call uk mobs for 4p on the 0844 number
but the cheapest
voip tariff is about 10p/min
Unless the 0844 co is making a loss (unlikely) how are they managing this -
and what cannot
you get anything like this rate on voip?