Confirmation - PlusNet decommissioning entire (text & binary) usenet service

Old March 22nd 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Daytona

Default Confirmation - PlusNet decommissioning entire (text & binary) usenet service

I'm a customer of NDO/Namesco, who (if you believe my message headers)
access usenet via PlusNet. Whilst investigating why some groups
weren't updating it came to light that they are decommissioning the
usenet service -

PlusNet's reply to my support ticket

"2006-03-22
09:22:37
Michael Holmes
CSC Agent Actioned :
We do not provide 3rd party resale of usenet services. The usenet
service itself requires a PlusNet username and Login which should
belong to the Broadband or Subscription Dial-Up account the user has
with us.

Having said this, the Usenet service is being decommissioned very soon
as it is unsustainable within our business model.

I hope that this does not cause too much inconvenience.

Regards,
Michael Holmes
To administer your account and for all your help and support
requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html"

The fact that they are denying that I'm managing to access their
newsfeed when the message headers say otherwise I find amusing -

Path, X-Trace & Xref - resolve to plus.net servers

Daytona
Old March 22nd 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Roger Cain

"Daytona" wrote in message

Hmm ... PN have told their own customers that it is only the binary usenet
which is being dropped.

Still a b****y con as most contracts were sold on the understanding that
binaries were supported.

Old March 22nd 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
K A Nuttall

Daytona wrote in article
:

I'm a customer of NDO/Namesco, who (if you believe my message
headers) access usenet via PlusNet. Whilst investigating why some
groups weren't updating it came to light that they are
decommissioning the usenet service -

The message they sent to all of their customers is that the binary
groups will be dropped from early April. The text groups are allegedly
going to improve as a result - although the service is pretty dire at
the moment. Maybe PlusNet's hoping that the current problems are load-
related and will go away as soon as the binaries are gone.

--
K A Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old March 22nd 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

Aside from the point you are posting account specific information (in
the form of a private email sent to you) - NDO / Namesco have a special
arrangement with PlusNet as can be seen mentioned he
http://www.ndousers.com/viewtopic.php?id=1892 - this is why the PlusNet
guy said they do not resell UseNet - they don't.

Issue between chair and computer.

Old March 22nd 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Alex Heney

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:49:27 -0000, "Roger Cain"
wrote:

"Daytona" wrote in message
.. .

Hmm ... PN have told their own customers that it is only the binary usenet
which is being dropped.

That is correct.

And logical, when you realise that 4 days (max) retention of binaries
takes 5 times as much storage as a year's worth of text.

Which means the daily feed is roughly 450 times as much for binary
usenet as for text usenet - with only a few hundred customers (out of
150,000) accessing it.

Still a b****y con as most contracts were sold on the understanding that
binaries were supported.

That is an "understanding" that PN have not fostered for quite some
time now, although it has been true, and with no indication until
recently that it would change.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Old March 22nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Daytona

K A Nuttall wrote:

Maybe PlusNet's hoping that the current problems are load-
related and will go away as soon as the binaries are gone.

Which is irrelevant if they're ending usenet access.

Daytona
Old March 22nd 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Daytona

Alex Heney wrote:

That is an "understanding" that PN have not fostered for quite some
time now, although it has been true, and with no indication until
recently that it would change.

I have a post awaiting moderation on uk.legal.moderated on the
subject, although it relates to the email confirmation I and others
received about usenet access from NDO/Namesco prior to signing up.

Daytona
Old March 22nd 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Alex Heney

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:00:24 +0000, Daytona wrote:

K A Nuttall wrote:

Maybe PlusNet's hoping that the current problems are load-
related and will go away as soon as the binaries are gone.

Which is irrelevant if they're ending usenet access.

Which they aren't.
Old March 22nd 06, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Old Codger

wrote:

"Daytona" wrote in message

Hmm ... PN have told their own customers that it is only the binary
usenet which is being dropped.

That is correct.

And logical, when you realise that 4 days (max) retention of binaries
takes 5 times as much storage as a year's worth of text.

Which means the daily feed is roughly 450 times as much for binary
usenet as for text usenet - with only a few hundred customers (out of
150,000) accessing it.

Still a b****y con as most contracts were sold on the understanding
that binaries were supported.

That is an "understanding" that PN have not fostered for quite some
time now, although it has been true, and with no indication until
recently that it would change.

During Ian Wild's previous incarnation He said a number of time that PN's
aim was to provide a usenet service, including binaries, that was up with
the best ISP provided services. Since the official change in policy, I have
not seen any acknowledgement that that was ever the situation.

PN do of course have the right to change the services they provide, subject
to the appropriate notice. However, these days they so often pretend that
nothing has changed.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old March 22nd 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
K A Nuttall

Daytona wrote in article news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

Which is irrelevant if they're ending usenet access.

?

Didn't I just say that they aren't?