Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?

Old March 23rd 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Default Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?

Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
Please advise.
--
Chris
Old March 23rd 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris" ] wrote in message
news
Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
Please advise.

I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a great fan of Skype, I
don't like proprietary protocols or systems that force me to use certain
software and/or hardware.

Ivor

Old March 23rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

In article , Ivor Jones
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
news

Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
Is the sound quality worse if you don't?

I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a great fan of Skype, I
don't like proprietary protocols or systems that force me to use certain
software and/or hardware.

Thanks for your quick reply.
What would you recommend?
I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international calls.
I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as Telestunt.
--
Chris
Old March 23rd 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter

"Chris" ] wrote in message
news
Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
Is the sound quality worse if you don't?
Please advise.
--
Chris

Chris, Skype tries ports 80 and 443 if it fails with its default port. So
if you can browse the net and access pages you should be OK with Skype too.

Peter

Old March 23rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
muzz

Chris wrote:
In article , Ivor Jones
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
news

Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
Is the sound quality worse if you don't?

I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a
great fan of Skype, I don't like proprietary protocols
or systems that force me to use certain software and/or
hardware.

Thanks for your quick reply.
What would you recommend?
I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international
calls. I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as
Telestunt.

You could try VOIPstunt. Right now UK calls are free so long as you open an
account with 8.17. You have to use some credit within 120days to keep it
alive. Oh and I DID need to forward the port to get decent sound quality on
this.

--
Muzz
my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com

Old March 24th 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

In article , muzz
writes
Chris wrote:
In article , Ivor Jones
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
news

Skype - Is it necessary to open ports?
Is the sound quality worse if you don't?

I've not found it necessary to do so, but I'm not a
great fan of Skype, I don't like proprietary protocols
or systems that force me to use certain software and/or
hardware.

Thanks for your quick reply.
What would you recommend?
I mainly call UK phones - but make a few international
calls. I usually use one of the dial-throughs, such as
Telestunt.

You could try VOIPstunt. Right now UK calls are free so long as you open an
account with 8.17. You have to use some credit within 120days to keep it
alive. Oh and I DID need to forward the port to get decent sound quality on
this.

Does the credit on VOIPcheap time out.
I was looking for catches on their site - but didn't notice any.
That doesn't mean there aren't any though!
Do you know of any?
--
Chris
Old March 29th 06, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joao Saraiva

120 days

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...