New to Broadband

Old March 23rd 06, 11:11 PM
Michala Cameron Michala Cameron is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy New to Broadband

I am fairly new to broadband and have used a dialup connection for years
however I,ve decided to take the leap. My home has 3 telephone sockets only 2 of which I use, a friend informed me that I required a microfilter for each socket. Then another friend told me I only needed the one for the socket that I am currently running my dialup connection from. Could anyone offer the correct advice! Lots of conflicting information means I'm not sure how many microfilters to order along with my USB modem.
Old March 23rd 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve @ Aceinternet

Default New to Broadband

Hi Michala

You will only need a microfilter on any sockets you use a normal telephone
on, and the one you are plugging your ADSL modem/router into.

Steve
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 08456 388 955 | f: 08456 388 956 | e:

Old March 23rd 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve @ Aceinternet

Just to make this a bit clearer, you don't need to use microfilters on any
sockets that you are not using.

Old March 23rd 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:11:32 UTC, Michala Cameron
wrote:

however I,ve decided to take the leap. My home has 3 telephone sockets
only 2 of which I use, a friend informed me that I required a
microfilter for each socket. Then another friend told me I only needed
the one for the socket that I am currently running my dialup connection
from. Could anyone offer the correct advice! Lots of conflicting
information means I'm not sure how many microfilters to order along
with my USB modem.

You need one for every socket that has telephone equipment plugged into
it. It's the telephone equipment that needs filtering, not the modem.

Having said that, some modems get plugged into a filter in order to
'adapt' the plug and socket (they are often not the same). But that's OK
- filters have two sockets; one is filtered for telephones equipment,
and one is effectively not filtered, and generally has the right kind of
socket for the modem.

Given the low cost of filters, just get three, in case you start using
the third wall socket.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 23rd 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am fairly new to broadband and have used a dialup connection for years
however I,ve decided to take the leap. My home has 3 telephone sockets
only 2 of which I use

Wherever you have a phone plugged in you need a filter.

If one of the sockets doesn`t have anything plugged in, you don`t need
a filter for it.

HTH :-}

PS: if you haven`t kept on top of your system security, its time to do
it now - reports vary, but apparently the average time for an
unpatched XP machine connecting to the internet for the first time to
be hacked to hell and back is somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes.

I`ve got some info from my own experiences online at
http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

Every file I link to is free, with the exception of PestPatrol, and
that isn`t even an affiliate link (and not really needed unless you`ve
got something the free stuff can`t remove, which is rare)

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Old March 23rd 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

microfilter(s) snip

PS: if you don't have a microfilter on a phone line, some people can
hear "noise" on the line (this is only audible locally though as far
as I am aware) - another common problem is the broadband connection
might drop if someone rings or picks the phone up if the microfilter
is not in use / broken.

Old March 24th 06, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Colin Wilson wrote:
I am fairly new to broadband and have used a dialup connection for
years however I,ve decided to take the leap. My home has 3
telephone sockets only 2 of which I use

Wherever you have a phone plugged in you need a filter.

If one of the sockets doesn`t have anything plugged in, you don`t
need a filter for it.

HTH :-}

PS: if you haven`t kept on top of your system security, its time to
do it now - reports vary, but apparently the average time for an
unpatched XP machine connecting to the internet for the first time
to be hacked to hell and back is somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes.

Seen one done in 60 seconds recently & then the end user blamed me for
it...

Old March 24th 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

PS: if you haven`t kept on top of your system security, its time to
do it now - reports vary, but apparently the average time for an
unpatched XP machine connecting to the internet for the first time
to be hacked to hell and back is somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes.

Seen one done in 60 seconds recently & then the end user blamed me for
it...

OUCH

Time to do what I do, and have a CD full of all the stuff you need to
prepare a machine for getting "out" for the first time :-} - and
remember to update it every now and then with the newest virus
definitions, so it`ll only ever be a month or so out of date.

Which reminds me - time I updated the "only use in an emergency" sigs
for Sysclean on my site...

Old March 24th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

PS: if you haven`t kept on top of your system security, its time to do
it now - reports vary, but apparently the average time for an
unpatched XP machine connecting to the internet for the first time to
be hacked to hell and back is somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes.

No make that seconds not minutes! The BBC's Click online did a test a while
ago, within I think it was 8 seconds, the totally unprotected pc they used
to demonstrate had been hacked...

Old March 24th 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Colin Wilson wrote:
PS: if you haven`t kept on top of your system security, its time
to do it now - reports vary, but apparently the average time for
an unpatched XP machine connecting to the internet for the first
time to be hacked to hell and back is somewhere between 8 and 20
minutes.

Seen one done in 60 seconds recently & then the end user blamed me
for it...

OUCH

Time to do what I do, and have a CD full of all the stuff you need
to prepare a machine for getting "out" for the first time :-} - and
remember to update it every now and then with the newest virus
definitions, so it`ll only ever be a month or so out of date.

Good idea, but I'd leave myself wide open for disciplinary action as
offcially I'm not allowed to even touch an end users PC let alone load
any software onto it. It's rather like strapping someone into the
pilots seat & saying there you go you can fly & then having to step
back as they crash & burn. Don't like it, don't like doing it but the
job pays the mortgage, pension fund (hopefully) & keeps me in the
manner to which I'm accustomed so I have to let them burn (officially,
unofficially there is nothing to stop me standing at their shoulder
telling them what to do, what to download etc, but of course I
wouldn't do that would I ;-) )