news groups

Old March 24th 06, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deni

Default news groups

Now Wannadoo has dropped their ng service I'm thinking off switching (yes I
know there are various ng readers etc but was thinking about moving from
them anyway).
Which general purpose ISPs still provide news servers? Only use internet
access at home for email and general surfing.
Thanks

Old March 24th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Deni" djhatukpcdotnet wrote in message
Now Wannadoo has dropped their ng service I'm thinking off switching (yes
I know there are various ng readers etc but was thinking about moving from
them anyway).
Which general purpose ISPs still provide news servers? Only use internet
access at home for email and general surfing.
Thanks

BT Yahoo! have just vastly improved their news server with a feed from
Giganews

Old March 24th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

Deni wrote:
Now Wannadoo has dropped their ng service I'm thinking off switching (yes I
know there are various ng readers etc but was thinking about moving from
them anyway).
Which general purpose ISPs still provide news servers? Only use internet
access at home for email and general surfing.
Thanks

Hi there,

Are you referring to a Binary or Text Based service?

Metronet supply both, limited to two simultaneous threads @ 128kbps,
whereas Plusnet supply a text based news service.

Both would be able to offer you a service that would be suitable for
your needs.

--
Kind regards,

James Bailey /
PlusNet Communications Team Leader
Old March 24th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hello Deni,

Madasafish offer free access to Giganews as part of our services.

If you're interested in the MAX Broadband package, type the word 'cheaper'
into the promotion field during sign up and you'll get speeds up to 8Mb, 5GB
of usage for 10.99 a month for the first six months and then 16.99 a month
for the remaining six months.

This package also includes a free domian name and static IP address.

Cheers,
Samara
Madasafish Customer Care

Old March 24th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Nerk you wrote:

A sprat to catch a ****.
Companies are now offering DVD downloads
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03...vie_downloads/
5Gb ain't going to go far is it?

If you took the time to read the original posting, which I quote:

"Which general purpose ISPs still provide news servers? Only use internet
access at home for email and general surfing."

5GB is more than enough for these purposes. If the original poster wanted an
unlimited service with Newsgroups, they would be paying substantially more
than the equivelent of 13.99 a month, which is what we're offering with the
10.99 a month for six months/16.99 a month for six months deal.

Additionally the other service providers that other posters have mentioned
in this topic regarding NEWSGROUPS have lower/the same usage allowances,
offer slower speeds and are generally more expensive.

Cheers,
Samara
Madasafish

Old March 24th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The point is, if you know you aren't going to do more than 5GB in a given
month - save money.

The package that Nerk is looking at is: 5 (Newserver) + (25*12months) =
305.00 a year for 20GB/8Mb

The Madasafish package is: (10.99*6) + (16.99*6) = 167.88 a year for
5GB/8Mb

I think that the 137.12 savings would be worth it to someone who is only
using their broadband service for emails and general surfing - there is no
way that kind of activity is going to bring you anywhere near 2GB much less
20GB!

"Nerk" wrote in message
reenews.net...
samara wrote

Nerk you wrote:

A sprat to catch a ****.
Companies are now offering DVD downloads
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03...vie_downloads/
5Gb ain't going to go far is it?

If you took the time to read the original posting, which I quote:

"Which general purpose ISPs still provide news servers? Only use internet
access at home for email and general surfing."

5GB is more than enough for these purposes. If the original poster wanted
an
unlimited service with Newsgroups, they would be paying substantially
more
than the equivelent of 13.99 a month, which is what we're offering with
the
10.99 a month for six months/16.99 a month for six months deal.

5 will get access to a proper text news server for at least a year.

Additionally the other service providers that other posters have
mentioned
in this topic regarding NEWSGROUPS have lower/the same usage allowances,
offer slower speeds and are generally more expensive.

Zen do 20gb pm for 25 on an 8Mb pipe. 5Gb a month is little better
than dialup.

Old March 24th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

James Bailey wrote:
Deni wrote:
Now Wannadoo has dropped their ng service I'm thinking off switching
(yes I know there are various ng readers etc but was thinking about
moving from them anyway).
Which general purpose ISPs still provide news servers? Only use
internet access at home for email and general surfing.
Thanks

Hi there,

Are you referring to a Binary or Text Based service?

Metronet supply both, limited to two simultaneous threads @ 128kbps,
whereas Plusnet supply a text based news service.

Both would be able to offer you a service that would be suitable for
your needs.

Metronet is now owned by Plusnet so expect some rationalisation of news
services.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old March 25th 06, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
H. Neary

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:14:03 -0000, "Deni" djhatukpcdotnet wrote:

Now Wannadoo has dropped their ng service I'm thinking off switching (yes I
know there are various ng readers etc but was thinking about moving from
them anyway).
Which general purpose ISPs still provide news servers? Only use internet
access at home for email and general surfing.
Thanks

Claranet seems pretty good. If you are at work during "normal" hours
then their 2M limited time broadband package seems good value for
money.
HN

Old March 25th 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daytona

Nerk wrote:

How about 2Gb a day for 18 a month, including a news server?
http://www.zenbroadband.com/athome.aspx

You seem more intent on recommending what you like rather than what
would be best for the op.

From their requirements paying for 2Gb/day is a waste of money.

Save 84/year with NDO (now merged with Namesco) who do 256K for 11
URL:http://www.ndo.com/?source=219923, free setup unless you move
within 12 months, then 50. 2Gb monthly limit. Text newsgroups. For
comparison, my forecast monthly usage, which sounds similar to the
ops, is about 0.5Gb.

Daytona