BT News Server Drop uk.telecom

Old March 24th 06, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

Default BT News Server Drop uk.telecom

BT has dropped the news group uk.telecom from it's new news service.
Customer services stated the reason as the group was of 'questionable
content'. What a laugh! At a point where BT Openreach are banging on
about 'equivalence' and fair competition and advising customers to use
the internet as a source of comparison, it closes the single channel
that discusses these issues specifically.

One could summise that this is to hide the frequent comparisons made
with other operators, price plans and CPS.

Old March 24th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin Tyme

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
BT has dropped the news group uk.telecom from it's new news service.
Customer services stated the reason as the group was of 'questionable
content'. What a laugh! At a point where BT Openreach are banging on
about 'equivalence' and fair competition and advising customers to use
the internet as a source of comparison, it closes the single channel
that discusses these issues specifically.

One could summise that this is to hide the frequent comparisons made
with other operators, price plans and CPS.

Bit of a waste of time, when anyone can google the same stuff with google
news. They are hardly able to stop anyone accessing and posting in the
group.

uk.telecom: http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom?hl=en

uk.telecom.broadband:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...roadband?hl=en

uk.telecom.voip: http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom.voip?hl=en

uk.telecom.mobile: http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom.mobile?hl=en

Nobody is going to stop access to usenet.

Old March 24th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

Sucuba Dude wrote:
BT has dropped the news group uk.telecom from it's new news service.
Customer services stated the reason as the group was of 'questionable
content'. What a laugh! At a point where BT Openreach are banging on
about 'equivalence' and fair competition and advising customers to use
the internet as a source of comparison, it closes the single channel
that discusses these issues specifically.

Not exactly closes. The group is still available to BT customers on
other servers or even, god forbid, Google.

One could summise that this is to hide the frequent comparisons made
with other operators, price plans and CPS.

That's the sort of news item that The Register likes. It might be worth
contacting them ... "Press releases and newstips should be sent to:
"

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).
Old March 24th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian A

Sucuba Dude wrote:
BT has dropped the news group uk.telecom from it's new news service.
Customer services stated the reason as the group was of 'questionable
content'. What a laugh! At a point where BT Openreach are banging on
about 'equivalence' and fair competition and advising customers to use
the internet as a source of comparison, it closes the single channel
that discusses these issues specifically.

One could summise that this is to hide the frequent comparisons made
with other operators, price plans and CPS.

I thought BT had just farmed out their news sevice to Giganews, who do carry
uk.telecom, have you tried resetting the list of groups?
--
Adrian A

Old March 24th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Tim-mz500r" wrote in message

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Sucuba Dude wrote:
BT has dropped the news group uk.telecom from it's new news service.
Customer services stated the reason as the group was of 'questionable
content'. What a laugh! At a point where BT Openreach are banging on
about 'equivalence' and fair competition and advising customers to use
the internet as a source of comparison, it closes the single channel
that discusses these issues specifically.

One could summise that this is to hide the frequent comparisons made
with other operators, price plans and CPS.

I thought BT had just farmed out their news sevice to Giganews, who do
carry
uk.telecom, have you tried resetting the list of groups?
--
Adrian A

Ok here on btyapoo

Fine here, although I did have to reset the group to get new posts
If using OE, right click on uk.telecom and select Properties, the Local
File, then Reset.
Otherwise, do a Reset, then unsubscribe, then Compact and then subscribe
again
It is definitely there

Old March 24th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
BT has dropped the news group uk.telecom from it's new news service.
Customer services stated the reason as the group was of 'questionable
content'. What a laugh! At a point where BT Openreach are banging on
about 'equivalence' and fair competition and advising customers to use
the internet as a source of comparison, it closes the single channel
that discusses these issues specifically.

One could summise that this is to hide the frequent comparisons made
with other operators, price plans and CPS.

Seems to have gone - how shabby can you get?

If they don't agree with the content they could always reply, as Plusnet has
done only today in this group.

Still there are plenty of groups on sex, drugs, guns, torture etc. that BT
still carry as part of their commitment to FOI...

Old March 24th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
BT has dropped the news group uk.telecom from it's new news service.
Customer services stated the reason as the group was of 'questionable
content'. What a laugh! At a point where BT Openreach are banging on
about 'equivalence' and fair competition and advising customers to use
the internet as a source of comparison, it closes the single channel
that discusses these issues specifically.

One could summise that this is to hide the frequent comparisons made
with other operators, price plans and CPS.

Seems to have gone - how shabby can you get?

If it's gone, how come I am reading, and replying, to your post on my BT
Yahoo connection?
--
Keith Willcocks

Old March 24th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

Keith Willcocks wrote:

If it's gone, how come I am reading, and replying, to your post on my BT
Yahoo connection?

Probably because this is uk.telecom.broadband. The OP was talking about
uk.telecom.

Old March 24th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Ian Bartholomew" wrote in message
Keith Willcocks wrote:

If it's gone, how come I am reading, and replying, to your post on my BT
Yahoo connection?

Probably because this is uk.telecom.broadband. The OP was talking about
uk.telecom.

My mistake, I thought he meant the whole uk.telecom range. However, I have
just tried uk.telecom and it is there and working fine.
--
Keith Willcocks