Switching from cable to ADSL

Old March 24th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bazza

Default Switching from cable to ADSL

Hi all,
In the process of changing from cable to ADSL.(there must be life
outside of NTL)
Had my BT line reconnected on Monday, bought an adsl modem, upgraded my
BT socket to a dual filtered adsl/phone.
Still pondering as to whether to run a phone cable from the BT socket at
the front door to the back of my house where all the network connections
are or to place the modem there and run it in cat5, to use a wireless
connection or one of those new power plugs that transmit over the power
line)

Last but not least i need a provider! my requirements a
:Newsgroups (text and binaries, no not porn! well i may have a peek now
and then just to look on in disgust)
:min 2mb connection which i currently have, (1.5 km from exchange in
Dunstable so should be OK)
:Unlimited download or up to 30gb per month (up to 3 people on line at
a time, 2 being my sons who are avid gamers)
:Up to 50mb web space (my own personnel play thing)
:Static ip address (i have 2 ip cameras)

I have a headache from reading all the ISP's websites on the net,
anybody have personnel experience of an ISP that will meet all this
criteria.

Bazza

PS currently pay 25 a month for 2mb to NTL so would want about the same
price

Old March 24th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
boranatty

Hi

Try newnet,I have had very good service from them,they offer 2meg with
80gig d/l limit for 26 a month for annual payment or 30 pounds pay
monthly, fixed ip etc etc

Terry

Old March 24th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bazza

Bazza wrote:

[...]

Sorry missed something, as i cannot afford to be without broadband (my
kids would kill me) i intend to compare the two, so a short contract
would be required 1-3 MONTHS

Bazza
Old March 24th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Bazza wrote:
Hi all,
In the process of changing from cable to ADSL.(there must be life
outside of NTL)

There's certainly no intelligent life inside.

Had my BT line reconnected on Monday, bought an adsl modem, upgraded my
BT socket to a dual filtered adsl/phone.

ADSL Modem? Ugh. If it isn't too late, get yourself a router.

Still pondering as to whether to run a phone cable from the BT socket at
the front door to the back of my house where all the network connections
are or to place the modem there and run it in cat5, to use a wireless
connection or one of those new power plugs that transmit over the power
line)

Bear in mind (and most ADSL newbies forget) that ADSL filters do _nothing_ for
your ADSL signal, they merely prevent it from getting to your analogue equipment
which may get confused by it (Sky dodgiboxes, etc.). Also, flat telephone
extension cable is probably not good for your line condition, and may render the
signal unusable. CAT5 UTP is nice, although for preference, I'd place a router
near the master socket, and run ethernet from there, because ethernet is far
less susceptible to electrical interference than an ADSL signal over the same cable.

Last but not least i need a provider! my requirements a
:Newsgroups (text and binaries, no not porn! well i may have a peek now
and then just to look on in disgust)

Beleif-o-meter: [\.....] Yup, thought so.

:min 2mb connection which i currently have, (1.5 km from exchange in
Dunstable so should be OK)
:Unlimited download or up to 30gb per month (up to 3 people on line at
a time, 2 being my sons who are avid gamers)

Up to three people using it, definitely require a router, otherwise you'll be at
the mercy of Microsoft's 'Internet Connection Sharing', which, rumour has it,
was actually seen working sometime last week in Chichester.

:Up to 50mb web space (my own personnel play thing)

You can buy hosting services cheaply as you need them. Most providers will give
you some paltry amount of fairly limited (no cgi, no perl, no SQL, etc.) space,
but low-bandwidth hosting is cheap, and probably comes with domain services too.

:Static ip address (i have 2 ip cameras)

Some providers charge extra for this. Other providers supply it as standard and
have nothing to with the evil that is DHCP. (Depending on your point of view).
Other providers not only set stupidly small lease times on DHCP, but actively
block incoming traffic to prevent you running any sort of server, (so no SMTP
mail for you!). If you have a static IP address, and your own domain, there is
no great reason why you cannot use a home machine as your web server. To reduce
traffic, place images and other static content on free/cheap external space, and
run your interesting cgi-fu on a local machine. Lots of fun keeping up with all
the security updates!

I have a headache from reading all the ISP's websites on the net,
anybody have personnel experience of an ISP that will meet all this
criteria.

Bazza

PS currently pay 25 a month for 2mb to NTL so would want about the same
price

This is not a recommendation (although I have been using Demon for rather more
years than I can remember, and cannot be zarked to change right now):

Demon provide 2Mb, static IP, unlimited for 24.99. No CGI on their 20Mb space.
Freedom2surf provide similar, but with 200Mb space (apparently with
PHP/CGI/database support). Same price for 'Up to 8Mbit' uncapped. (Whether
this 8Mbit applies to LLU or DSLMax or both is not entirely clear)
Old March 24th 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bazza

Jim Howes wrote:
Bazza wrote:

Hi all,
In the process of changing from cable to ADSL.(there must be life
outside of NTL)

There's certainly no intelligent life inside.

Had my BT line reconnected on Monday, bought an adsl modem, upgraded my
BT socket to a dual filtered adsl/phone.

ADSL Modem? Ugh. If it isn't too late, get yourself a router.

Bought an ADSL 1 port router, want to link this up with another router
which serves the house, got to work this one out!

[...]

Agreed, will run cat5

Last but not least i need a provider! my requirements a
:Newsgroups (text and binaries, no not porn! well i may have a peek now
and then just to look on in disgust)

Beleif-o-meter: [\.....] Yup, thought so.

??? non comprehendi

:min 2mb connection which i currently have, (1.5 km from exchange in
Dunstable so should be OK)
:Unlimited download or up to 30gb per month (up to 3 people on line at
a time, 2 being my sons who are avid gamers)

Up to three people using it, definitely require a router, otherwise you'll be at
the mercy of Microsoft's 'Internet Connection Sharing', which, rumour has it,
was actually seen working sometime last week in Chichester.

:Up to 50mb web space (my own personnel play thing)

You can buy hosting services cheaply as you need them. Most providers will give
you some paltry amount of fairly limited (no cgi, no perl, no SQL, etc.) space,
but low-bandwidth hosting is cheap, and probably comes with domain services too.

Sounds intresting, any recomendations?

:Static ip address (i have 2 ip cameras)

Some providers charge extra for this. Other providers supply it as standard and
have nothing to with the evil that is DHCP. (Depending on your point of view).
Other providers not only set stupidly small lease times on DHCP, but actively
block incoming traffic to prevent you running any sort of server, (so no SMTP
mail for you!). If you have a static IP address, and your own domain, there is
no great reason why you cannot use a home machine as your web server. To reduce
traffic, place images and other static content on free/cheap external space, and
run your interesting cgi-fu on a local machine. Lots of fun keeping up with all
the security updates!

OK could set up a server

I have a headache from reading all the ISP's websites on the net,
anybody have personnel experience of an ISP that will meet all this
criteria.

Bazza

PS currently pay 25 a month for 2mb to NTL so would want about the same
price

This is not a recommendation (although I have been using Demon for rather more
years than I can remember, and cannot be zarked to change right now):

Demon provide 2Mb, static IP, unlimited for 24.99. No CGI on their 20Mb space.
Freedom2surf provide similar, but with 200Mb space (apparently with
PHP/CGI/database support). Same price for 'Up to 8Mbit' uncapped. (Whether
this 8Mbit applies to LLU or DSLMax or both is not entirely clear)

Will check it out
Old March 24th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Bazza wrote in news[email protected]
gui.ntli.net:

Bought an ADSL 1 port router, want to link this up with another router
which serves the house, got to work this one out!

turn off nat and have the 1 port let the existing house router handle
everything so you're effectively making the 1 port an ethernet modem.

As to running a server off your connection, with electricty costs, hassle
of lag/securtiy and all the rest you'd be best just sticking with a cheap
host. Plenty out there...unless you really want to learn how to do the
whole thing yourself..

--
Colin
Old March 24th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Bazza
wrote

Sorry missed something, as i cannot afford to be without broadband (my
kids would kill me) i intend to compare the two, so a short contract
would be required 1-3 MONTHS

Freedom 2 Surf

http://www.f2s.net/adsl/homeuser.php

Static IP

25/month for 2/8M connection, uncapped (subject to your local exchange
having 2M/8M capability - and speed subject to a BT line test)

3 month contract for free activation - or 50 activation fee for a
shorter contract

No port blocking

(Limited) text newsgroup server

200Mbytes Webspace
http://www.freedom2surf.net/help/webhostingtechfaq.php

No binary groups - but you can purchase these from a third party
supplier.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com