Low cost 512k & Pipex retentions

Old March 24th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

Default Low cost 512k & Pipex retentions

Everyone has their own requirements from an ISP - living in the sticks and
being restricted to 512k mine essentially boil down to:

1) a cap no lower than 10Gb
2) a decent reputation
3) a year 1 cost that is as low as possible

Ignoring 2) for the moment, a couple of hours browsing utm, adslguide and
Google came up with these possibilities: www.mason.sh/adsl.htm. I'm on the
Pipex 256 service currently which is why it's included (don't think it's
available to new customers).

Toucan was looking good until I found out they were reselling Tiscali -
strike them from the list.

I wasn't sure who is behind Utility Warehouse so decided to give them a miss
too.

The NDO cap was right on my limit and any 20Gb months, intentional or not,
would soon ratchet up the bottom line.

AOL? Yes I know I can use my router but TBH I can't be bothered with the
faff of getting it to work.

So we come to Eclipse. 1 month contract, free migration, 18 quid a month and
no caps. Reputation looks OK. Network status page makes it look like they
know what they're doing. Decision made.

I call Pipex. 13 minutes on hold and when I ask for my MAC they ask why I'm
leaving, which eventually leads to me being offered 512k for the same
14.99/month I'm currently paying. The only downside is a new 12 month
contract (I did push quite hard for 1 month but two different retention
staff said that was the one term they weren't allowed to vary) but overall
I'm happy enough - the Pipex service has always been very reliable IME.