Problem with broadband activation

Old March 24th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chunky

Default Problem with broadband activation

Just bought a new house and requested Zen to set up my ADSL, I have a new BT
line number as the old house owners took their number with them..

Zen agreed to activate the BB in 5 working days but on requesting BT
activation were given the following error :

'Unable to check incompatible products, please contact local support'

Zen are suggesting I contact BT direct as there is nothing they can do.
What does this suggest?

Note : I have been on-hold and given up after 20 minutes waiting to speak to
someone on BT's support (probably Friday night syndrome)

Cheers

Chunks

Old March 24th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

"Chunky" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Just bought a new house and requested Zen to set up my ADSL, I have a new
BT line number as the old house owners took their number with them..

Zen agreed to activate the BB in 5 working days but on requesting BT
activation were given the following error :

'Unable to check incompatible products, please contact local support'

Zen are suggesting I contact BT direct as there is nothing they can do.
What does this suggest?

Note : I have been on-hold and given up after 20 minutes waiting to speak
to someone on BT's support (probably Friday night syndrome)

Cheers

Chunks

How do you think people in this group will be able to help you - just out of
interest?
You're unlikely to get anyone working for those companies to respond to you
in a public group.
I suggest speaking to the companies direct. You're better off sending email
to companies as they respond faster.

Old March 24th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marie

....snip....

If your BT telephone line is supplied via an overhead cable, then
follow the your line to the telegraph pole, if there is a a grey/black
box (or more likely several) then again, you may well have a DACS
line.

Thanks, I will check this out as the house is supplied via a telephone pole
in the garden.

Will hopefully get in touch with BT early next week and they also might be
able to tell me!

Cheers

Chunks

Old March 24th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve @ Aceinternet

BT are the only ones who can answer this one positively, unfortunately.

Just make sure you get your call into them tomorrow, as BT customer
services, accounts and sales don't appear to work on Sundays anymore.

Steve
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 08456 388 955 | f: 08456 388 956 | e:

Old March 24th 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gaz. wrote:
In article [email protected], says...

Just bought a new house and requested Zen to set up my ADSL, I
have a new BT line number as the old house owners took their
number with them..

Zen agreed to activate the BB in 5 working days but on requesting
BT activation were given the following error :

'Unable to check incompatible products, please contact local
support'

Zen are suggesting I contact BT direct as there is nothing they
can do. What does this suggest?

Note : I have been on-hold and given up after 20 minutes waiting
to speak to someone on BT's support (probably Friday night
syndrome)

Cheers

Chunks

It sounds like your BT Line is supplied using a DACS Box (pronounced
Dax), this is a cheap and easy method for BT to supply more
telephone lines without the need to lay any additional plant. Have
a look on the wall where the BT line enters your house, if there is
a grey/black external box or a small white internal box, before the
cable goes to your first BT socket, then you may well have a DACS
line.

If your BT telephone line is supplied via an overhead cable, then
follow the your line to the telegraph pole, if there is a a
grey/black box (or more likely several) then again, you may well
have a DACS line.

That's it ring the bell of doom, it could just be that the line still
has an ADSL service registered to it. The only sure way is to contact
BT front desk & ask them, mind you whether you get the truthful answer
or not is another question.

Actually having DACS isn't a problem as BT will go to great lengths to
remove them, it will just put a delay on the provision of service for
a week or so. It would be far worse if you are in a TPON area but
even those are now getting copper overlay from the exchanges..

Old March 24th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Chunky wrote:
Just bought a new house and requested Zen to set up my ADSL, I have a new BT
line number as the old house owners took their number with them..

Zen agreed to activate the BB in 5 working days but on requesting BT
activation were given the following error :

'Unable to check incompatible products, please contact local support'

Zen are suggesting I contact BT direct as there is nothing they can do.
What does this suggest?

Note : I have been on-hold and given up after 20 minutes waiting to speak to
someone on BT's support (probably Friday night syndrome)

When was the line installed. It can sometimes take a few days for new
lines to appear in the wolesale database.

JP
Old March 25th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

simon wrote:
"Chunky" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Au contraire, mon ami

DACS *is not* an incompatible product, but does cause delays in ADSL
activation. Incompatible products would be along the lines of another
order on the line, alarm system, and so on. Always best to check with
BT Retail on 150.

--
Kind regards,

+ ------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------------
Old March 25th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marie

Note : I have been on-hold and given up after 20 minutes waiting to speak
someone on BT's support (probably Friday night syndrome)

Update : I have spoken to BT and they have tested the line and found a
fault, strange because the phone works OK.

Engineer scheduled for Tuesday. Thanks to you all for your comments and
advice.

Old March 26th 06, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

Marie wrote:

Update : I have spoken to BT and they have tested the line and found a
fault, strange because the phone works OK.

Yeah, the phone may work OK for voice calls, but for anything
else.....?
One can only presume you are of the ilk that if voice works, everything
else will....?

Just let BT deal. They are not the complete ******s some will portray
them as; at least, not the engineering side of things.