Router installation

Old March 25th 06, 09:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Router installation

Hi,

I am trying to install a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL router on a
desktop computer running Windows XP, SP2. As soon as I put the
installation CD in the drive, a message pops up telling me that I'm not
running the latest version of Internet Explorer (IE6). However, when I
do as indicated and click on 'Install' to automatically install IE6, I
get another message:

'Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already
installed on this system. Setup cannot continue.'

The installation of the router then ends without really having started.

I can only assume that the Voyager installation CD doesn't support the
SP2 version of IE6. But this seems too daft to be the case. Any help
would be greatfully received. Many thanks, Joe.

Old March 25th 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CJY

Perhaps try the latest drivers from
http://www.btopenworld.com/broadband...l#yahoodrivers ?

Chris

ups.com...

Old March 25th 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article . com,
says...
Hi,

I am trying to install a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL router on a
desktop computer running Windows XP, SP2. As soon as I put the
installation CD in the drive, a message pops up telling me that I'm not
running the latest version of Internet Explorer (IE6). However, when I
do as indicated and click on 'Install' to automatically install IE6, I
get another message:

'Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already
installed on this system. Setup cannot continue.'

The installation of the router then ends without really having started.

I can only assume that the Voyager installation CD doesn't support the
SP2 version of IE6. But this seems too daft to be the case. Any help
would be greatfully received. Many thanks, Joe.

You don't need to install anything off a CD to install a router. The CD
just sticks some bull**** BT branded IE crap on your PC and a
quickstart guide. All you need to do is plug in router, connect it to
your PC, fire up PC, fire up router, fire up a web browser and type
http://192.168.0.1 or whatever IP address the router is on and it'll
take you to the configuration page. Most people need to do nothing more
there than type in their username and password for their ISP logon and
also provide a WEP key for the wireless.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 25th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

Conor wrote:
[...]

In case the above number isnt the right number for your router, the way to
find out, is make sure you are connected to the router, (use the network
cable not the usb). Go to the start menu, run, and type cmd,
in the window type ipconfig

The address of the 'default gateway' is the one you put in internet
explorer.

Gaz

Old March 25th 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim \(remove obvious\)

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Quite- the best thing to do with the 'installation' cd is throw it as far as
you can over your left shoulder.

Tim..

Old March 25th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

wrote in message
ups.com...
As soon as I put the installation CD in the drive, a message pops up
telling me that I'm not running the latest version of Internet Explorer
(IE6). However, when I do as indicated and click on 'Install' [...]:
'Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already
installed on this system. Setup cannot continue.'

[snip]
I can only assume that the Voyager installation CD doesn't support the
SP2 version of IE6. But this seems too daft to be the case.

Daft, yes; unheard of, no. Assume that when the CD was made, it had the
latest version of IE on it. Then, at that time, if the version of IE
installed on a machine was not _the same as_ the version on the CD, the
latest version was not installed.

Any help would be greatfully received.

As others have advised, forget the CD.

Alex

Old March 26th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Thanks folks. Done as advised and it's working fine.

Cheers,

Joe.