line gain question

Old March 26th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ned

Default line gain question

I've been told by a friend that the problem I have with my ADSL line
could be solved by getting the gain turned up. Is this possible and do I
ask my ISP or BT?

ned
Old March 26th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

ned wrote:
I've been told by a friend that the problem I have with my ADSL line
could be solved by getting the gain turned up. Is this possible and do I
ask my ISP or BT?

Line gain only affects voice calls and will make no difference to your ADSL.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).
Old March 26th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ned

ned wrote:

I've been told by a friend that the problem I have with my ADSL line
could be solved by getting the gain turned up. Is this possible and do
I ask my ISP or BT?

Line gain only affects voice calls and will make no difference to your
ADSL.

OK, thanks for that Ian. The problem seems to be something to do with
the ADSL signal strength, I'm having connecting problems. Is there any
way I can get that addressed without BT wanting to charge me?

ned.
Old March 26th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:31:07 UTC, ned wrote:

OK, thanks for that Ian. The problem seems to be something to do with
the ADSL signal strength, I'm having connecting problems. Is there any
way I can get that addressed without BT wanting to charge me?

Well, you can't talk to BT about it. As far as ADSL is concerned, only
your ISP have a contract with BT. And you have a contract with your ISP.
So you need to get your ISP to raise it with BT.

Some ISPs are good at this and some aren't. It's one of the things that
differentiate good and bad ISPs!

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 27th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

ned wrote:

ned wrote:

I've been told by a friend that the problem I have with my ADSL line
could be solved by getting the gain turned up. Is this possible and
do I ask my ISP or BT?

Line gain only affects voice calls and will make no difference to your
ADSL.

OK, thanks for that Ian. The problem seems to be something to do with
the ADSL signal strength, I'm having connecting problems. Is there any
way I can get that addressed without BT wanting to charge me?

ned.

Hi Ned,

There are a number of things that can effect your ADSL signal strength.
Often distance is the main one. What sort of signal is your equipment
reporting? Is normally displayed as attenuation and noise margin.

Sometimes, poor signal can be caused by poor hardware or wiring issues.
It's often a good idea to try using a different filter, and unscrewing
the faceplate from your master socket and trying to use the filter from
the test socket inside there to see if this improves the signal.

--
Kind regards,

+ ------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------------
Old March 27th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ned

Hi Ned,

There are a number of things that can effect your ADSL signal strength.
Often distance is the main one.

Only about 1 mile from the exchange.

What sort of signal is your equipment
reporting?

Can't get those figures. I have a speedtouch 330 under linux which I am
presently using but don't have tools to get these stats. I'm trying to
swap to a router (non-wireless) have tried several different
makes/models which have all tested ok at a friends location but won't
sync here.

Is normally displayed as attenuation and noise margin.

Sometimes, poor signal can be caused by poor hardware or wiring issues.
It's often a good idea to try using a different filter, and unscrewing
the faceplate from your master socket and trying to use the filter from
the test socket inside there to see if this improves the signal.

Been there done that.

I had a router that actually did work fine for a few hours til we had a
local (this half of town) power cut caused by a lightening strike and
since then no router I have tried will sync to the line but the 330
does. Sometimes it will sync and connect first attempt, sometimes there
is a problem but usually after several attempts, I think the max has
been six so far, it syncs and works without a problem. I'm convinced it
is a signal problem having exhausted the other possibilities.

the only thing I can think of doing is telling BT I want to change to
their ADSL service on a 2mb connection and see if I can get them to
check the line that way. I won't say anymore about BT as it will all be
profanity!

ned.
Old March 27th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

the only thing I can think of doing is telling BT I want to change to
their ADSL service on a 2mb connection and see if I can get them to
check the line that way. I won't say anymore about BT as it will all be
profanity!

ned.

Hi Ned,

Which ISP are you with? They should be able to raise your fault with BT
Wholesale. It could be a case that your line is fractionally outside
limits for the speed you are currently receiving, and you may need to
drop down a little bit before MaxDSL is available to you.

Old March 27th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ned

Hi Ned,

Which ISP are you with? They should be able to raise your fault with BT
Wholesale. It could be a case that your line is fractionally outside
limits for the speed you are currently receiving, and you may need to
drop down a little bit before MaxDSL is available to you.

Sorry, didn't make it clear. I am only on a 512 connection. The reason I
said what I did about moving to a 2mb connection was that it might be a
way to get the line checked.

ned.
Old March 27th 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ned

I had a router that actually did work fine for a few hours til we had a
local (this half of town) power cut caused by a lightening strike and
since then no router I have tried will sync to the line but the 330
does. Sometimes it will sync and connect first attempt, sometimes there
is a problem but usually after several attempts, I think the max has
been six so far, it syncs and works without a problem. I'm convinced it
is a signal problem having exhausted the other possibilities.

Did you change the ADSL filter after the lighting strike? My home
office filter (BT supplied) went phut and the symptoms you describe
sound familiar.

Yes I have tried new filters, cables, direct connection behind the
faceplate. I didn't even have the speedtouch or the filters when I first
had a problem. Eveerything I've tried since the lightening strike has
been new.

ned.
Old March 27th 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Bailey

ned wrote:
Hi Ned,

Which ISP are you with? They should be able to raise your fault with
BT Wholesale. It could be a case that your line is fractionally
outside limits for the speed you are currently receiving, and you may
need to drop down a little bit before MaxDSL is available to you.

Sorry, didn't make it clear. I am only on a 512 connection. The reason I
said what I did about moving to a 2mb connection was that it might be a
way to get the line checked.

ned.

Hi Ned,

I'd say that it would just result in the order automatically failing.
Are you a long way from your exchange?

Getting your ISP to raise a fault with BT Wholesale would result in
getting the line properly checked.