Is AOL a good broadband provider?

Old March 27th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Charles

Default Is AOL a good broadband provider?

I am writing this post for the records, in case anyone wonders if AOL
is a good internet service provider or is looking for the best
broadband provider in London.

Here is what you get from AOL:

When you call them and ask them to do a smooth transition to another
Internet Service Provider (several months after your contract ended),
they will tell you that it is impossible, and that you must resign you
current contract, wait 20 to 30 days and then only you can sign in with
another internet service provider.

When I told that to the customer service of my new ISP, the guy laughed
and advised me to threaten them to fill a complaint if they do not
comply, since it's a regulatory obligation. That's what I did and
AOL customer service suddenly became more cooperative and provided me
with the right reference to pass on to the new ISP.

The very same evening the internet connection was cut. I called AOL
(actually a call center somewhere near Bombay) which told me it
couldn't be them so I should talk to BT. I called BT who sent me back
to AOL and finally AOL admitted they cut the connection and put it back
the next day.

A week later AOL cuts the connection again and refuse to put it back. I
therefore wait one week without connection. That's the "smooth
transition".

Well one week later I was with Homechoice and enjoying a faster and
cheaper broadband. I soon forgot AOL.

Four months later, AOL gets back to me with a letter threatening to go
to court if I don't pay them something (they also told me they
already tried to contact me which I am certain is wrong). I make a few
checks and I discover that they continued to charge my credit card
after I cancelled the subscription, until the credit card expired and
then threatened me.

Well, if after having read that you still want to sign in with AOL, I
must acknowledge your courage

Charles

Old March 28th 06, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Kevin Lyons

When I told that to the customer service of my new ISP, the guy laughed
and advised me to threaten them to fill a complaint if they do not
comply, since it's a regulatory obligation.

As far as I know, there's no 'regulatory obligation' for an ISP to transfer
your broadband to another provider.

If you want to end your contract and the old provider doesn't follow the
migration process then it's a case of having ADSL switched off, waiting
until BT have cleared the ADSL service from the line and then putting in a
new application with a new service provider.

There's a voluntary code that some IPstream providers have signed up to
which allows you to move without the problem above but it's not obligatory.

--
Regards

John Lyons
Netserve Consultants Limited
www.netserve.co.uk

Old March 28th 06, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
steeler

"Charles" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am writing this post for the records, in case anyone wonders if AOL
is a good internet service provider or is looking for the best
broadband provider in London.

Four months later, AOL gets back to me with a letter threatening to go
to court if I don't pay them something (they also told me they
already tried to contact me which I am certain is wrong). I make a few
checks and I discover that they continued to charge my credit card
after I cancelled the subscription, until the credit card expired and
then threatened me.

Well if you are too dumb to check your credit card statement every month ...

Old March 28th 06, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Simon

"Kevin Lyons" wrote in message
news
[...]

Its a voluntary code of practice, and overseen by OTELO. However, they
toothless as you have to have reached an impass with the ISP and they have
to have written to you to this extent.

However, the ISP's are wise to this so they refuse to escalater your dispute
to to the complaints departments or put barriers in place. This way they
never have to issue that letter and you cant get OTELO to mediate the
dispute.

How many ISP's say you can only deal with their Complaints Department by
Post. Apparently Tiscali have no email link between the Customer and the
Complaints department nor between their Customer Support Team and the
Complaints Department.

Simon

Old March 28th 06, 08:14 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:46:13 UTC, "Simon"
wrote:

Its a voluntary code of practice, and overseen by OTELO. However, they

snip
Simon

Yes, you said that.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 28th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Charles

Well, legal or not, these business practices are outrageous.

If in the company I am working we were treating customers like that we
would go bankrupt overnight

Charles

Old March 28th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Peter James

"steeler" wrote in message
. ..

"Charles" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip...
I make a few
checks and I discover that they continued to charge my credit card
after I cancelled the subscription, until the credit card expired and
then threatened me.

Well if you are too dumb to check your credit card statement every month

Dumbness aside, if the arrangement to pay by CC is a Continuous Authority
neither the OP nor his CC company can cancel it - it can only be cancelled
by the company that takes the money. Little wonder that ISPs and other
service providers (Green Flag for example) like to use such an arrangement.

Oh, just a little OT, and just in case anyone is wondering if GF are rogues,
the answer is no they are not. They stopped the continuous authority on my
CC without any hassle when I moved to another motoring rescue service.

--
Peter

Old March 28th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Gizmo

"Charles" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, legal or not, these business practices are outrageous.

If in the company I am working we were treating customers like that we
would go bankrupt overnight

You have of course checked out how many customers AOL have lost in the past
12 / 24 months ? ;o)