wireless connection not working

Old March 28th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default wireless connection not working

For 8 months now my BTYahoo connection has been flawless using a
speedtouch
530 router. I got fed up with wires so decided to go wireless last
week.
I got a Dlink 604 router and a Belkin pcmcia card for the laptop. This
is
encrypted using a wep key. Once or twice a day the connection is lost
and
the properties of the wireless card start scanning for networks and
fails to
find any. Rebooting the laptop finds the connection again no problem.
When
the connection is working it is fine with a 100% signal.
Based on these facts I am fairly sure that the problem is not my
broadband
connection but the wireless setup itself.

Hi - see this link for some helpful walk-through advice about
troubleshooting a wireless connection

www.amw1.com/tips

Old March 31st 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Williams

"Anorak" wrote in message ...
in article ,
at wrote on 27/03/2006 23:55:

[...]

Have you got the idle time of your router set to zero (O minute) ? Is the
router fairly high up located in a spacious area of your house ?

I had a similar problem with my Linksys router when I disabled the SSID
broadcast. I thought this would add to the security, though apparently it
doesn't much. Popping the card out and in again usually fixed it, but it
would go again.

The Windows XP built-in wifi stuff doesn't cope well without a SSID
broadcast and keeps trying to find a less anonymous access point. The
Linksys software would have coped, but I didn't like it, so I turned on SSID
broadcast again and everything started working.

This might be your problem; if it is make sure everything else is secure -
turn on WEP pre-shared key authentication and set the router to only accept
connections from your wireless card's MAC address.

Good luck - these things can be a pain to diagnose.