PIPEX and Traffic Shaping

Old March 28th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Default PIPEX and Traffic Shaping

I got a bit bored with my slow connection through PIPEX last night and did a
quick google and apparently PIPEX have implemented traffic shaping and
throttling for users on the xtreme4 realm. I would expect the other realms
to have their connection throttled soon. So much for a unlimited
connection.

I wouldn't mind so much if they had told me what they were doing but this
has come in without any warning at all. I've spent a fair amount of time
trying to figure out what was wrong with my connection as I thought it was
bound to be my end. I almost bought a new router. PIPEX have been
brilliant for the last 18 months but sneaking changes in without telling
anyone is disgraceful and there customer services are still denying it.

Anyway, if you're on PIPEX and use xbox live or any kind of P2P app expect
poor performance. P2P has a limit of 20kb/s regardless of line speed and
I've no idea what they've done to xbox live as its been very poor over the
past couple of weeks - voice comms keep dropping out, lag. All pretty poor
really especially as I can only get 0.5Mb/s and they are crippling that!

Old March 28th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

Can you get the pipex.xtreme.support newsgroup?

There's been a load of info (read complaints) on there recently.
I'm on xtreme4 and have had lousy download speeds with bittorrents recently.
I've now upgarded to Azureus as my bittorrent client and with it's
encryption enabled i can get the download speeds i was getting before this
latest round of throttling/traffic shaping.

I'm considering migrating elsewhere but will wait and see how things go
first - with 8Mb upgrades a possibility with all ISPs in the near future i
suspect truly unlimited ADSL packages will become expensive or non-existent.

Martin.

Old March 28th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Martin" wrote in message

"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

I'll take a look. Never even thought of checking for a pipex newsgroup!
Doh!

There's been a load of info (read complaints) on there recently.
I'm on xtreme4 and have had lousy download speeds with bittorrents
recently.
I've now upgarded to Azureus as my bittorrent client and with it's
encryption enabled i can get the download speeds i was getting before this
latest round of throttling/traffic shaping.

I grabbed the latest uTorrent last night and turned on the encryption and my
download speeds also returned to normal. Guess this is the way to go.

I'm considering migrating elsewhere but will wait and see how things go
first - with 8Mb upgrades a possibility with all ISPs in the near future i
suspect truly unlimited ADSL packages will become expensive or
non-existent.

I'm stuck on 0.5Mb due to line length and I think it's an absolute joke the
PIPEX think it is reasonble to apply any kind of throttling to my meagre
connection. If they can't cope with me occasionally running the line flat
out for a few hours how will they cope with 8Mb connections?

Martin.

Old March 28th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Martin" wrote in message

"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

I can't seem to find this group. Even google don't list it. How do I get
access to it?

Old March 28th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TygerTyger2010

WCZ wrote:

I'm stuck on 0.5Mb due to line length and I think it's an absolute joke the
PIPEX think it is reasonble to apply any kind of throttling to my meagre
connection. If they can't cope with me occasionally running the line flat
out for a few hours how will they cope with 8Mb connections?

This is why I'm leaving Pipex for Eclipse. No throttles/no caps (for the
time being at least). If Eclipse do introduce them it is a monthly
contract and I can move elsewhere. With Pipex you are locked into a 12
month contract if you change from solo 2000 to Pipex Max. I could
accept hard caps on downloading, or maybe limiting full p2p speeds to a
15-30 gig allowance per month etc, but what is this nonsense of having
8meg and 20kbytes/sec downloads, it's farcical.

TygerTyger2010.
Old March 28th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian w

"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

You allow them to make changes as you agreed to the terms and conditions!

Old March 28th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

I left Pipex in november because I was under the impression they started
throttling by 34 2Mb connection. Left for plusnet, shaped aswell, but with
a change of my download habits and at 21 a month it's fine for my needs.

Dan

Old March 28th 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
H4rry

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:39:44 +0100, "WCZ"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .

"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

try refreshing the group listing. not sure how to do that in OE but
it should be listed after a refresh.

aka
Old March 29th 06, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

SNIP

Can you get the pipex.xtreme.support newsgroup?

I can't seem to find this group. Even google don't list it. How do I get
access to it?

SNIP

The pipex.xtreme.support newsgroup is only accessible on the Giganews
account that Pipex provides you.
Not sure from your postings whether you're using your (Pipex) Giganews
account or are accessing newsgroups through a different provider...
To get the settings you need to access pipex.xtreme.support visit:

https://www.mypipex.net/xtreme/support/index.php

Martin.

Old March 29th 06, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Ian w" ian wrote in message

"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

So you'd be happy with changes being made with no notification then?

The least PIPEX should do is inform there customers and stop denying what
they are doing.