VoIP and landline number porting

Old March 28th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clueless2

Default VoIP and landline number porting

Are there any VoIP supplier out there that will allow a BT landline number
to be ported over AND provide call diversion to other numbers including
mobiles?

Old March 28th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

Clueless2 wrote:
Are there any VoIP supplier out there that will allow a BT landline number
to be ported over AND provide call diversion to other numbers including
mobiles?

It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

if you mail me privately ) then I can check. If we
can port it, then yes, we'll do the diversion.

peter

Old March 28th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clueless2

"Peter Gradwell" wrote in message
It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

020xxxxxxxx

Old March 28th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Clueless2 wrote:
"Peter Gradwell" wrote in message
It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

020xxxxxxxx

http://www.gradwell.com/voip/portability_numbers.php

It's basically London and its surrounding area, so you're in luck.
Can't wait till it goes to a further range.
Old March 28th 06, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).

020xxxxxxxx

http://www.gradwell.com/voip/portability_numbers.php

It's basically London and its surrounding area, so you're in luck.
Can't wait till it goes to a further range.

Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?
Old March 28th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Colin Forrester wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:

It depends what the BT land line number is (which area code it is).
020xxxxxxxx

http://www.gradwell.com/voip/portability_numbers.php

It's basically London and its surrounding area, so you're in luck.
Can't wait till it goes to a further range.

Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
distances).

Or at least that's how I gathered it was. Apparently more exchanges may
be added in time (I don't know anything more about this).

I certainly hope they get here, I've got a BT number I need to park
somewhere.
Old March 29th 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
distances).

Magrathea and others.

What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse, which I
suppose could come as percieved demand.

cheers
peter

Old March 29th 06, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Peter Gradwell wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
distances).

Magrathea and others.

What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse, which I
suppose could come as percieved demand.

cheers
peter

Since no-one is collating demand information, I wonder how they can be
made to perceive it.
Old March 29th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linker3000

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
Peter Gradwell wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?
IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
distances).

Magrathea and others.

What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse, which I
suppose could come as percieved demand.

cheers
peter

Since no-one is collating demand information, I wonder how they can be
made to perceive it.

In my experience, you call them and they say 'well, no-one else has
asked for that feature' - which means that the call centre operator to
whom you are *currently* speaking has never heard of it and they'll be
buggered if they are going to pass on your request.
Old March 29th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Peter Gradwell wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Perhaps Peter could follow-up and indicate what needs to happen for him
to add a given exchange? Perceived demand, exchange type, etc.?

IIRC it's a service offered by Magrathea, the reason why it's only local
to London is that they take the cost of the transit of the call into
their system from their profit margin. (which would cost more for longer
distances).

Magrathea and others.

What needs to happen is BT need a jolly big kick up the arse,

Why?

The impression given above is that "Magrathea and others" can offer you
GNP in non-London areas, but at a (greater) cost? Is this not correct?