Faster connections?

Old March 29th 06, 05:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

Default Faster connections?

Most ISP's seem to be bringing in faster speeds around now. Mine - Plusnet
goes up to 8mb next month. Is there a website to check whether exchanges can
support these speeds as there was for the arrival of Broadband?

Old March 29th 06, 06:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In article ,
says...

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
--
Mugwump

Reply to 'usenetmail{at}discworld{dot}org{dot}uk
Old March 29th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Mar 2006 05:08, "Trevor" wrote:

Plusnet goes up to 8mb next month.

Certainly true for new customers, but the regrade path seems like it
may take a while... There's (currently) a limit of 700 submissions
per day at BT Wholesale, so until they sort out their order handling
to accept them in "bulk" (read "more than 700 at a time" but expect
some other limit!) apparently due at the end of April, it's going
to be rather hit and miss about whether you (or I) will see any
change for some time to come... (if it stayed at 700 a day, it'd
take 8 months plus, and since new customers would get priority over
existing - to allow for new lines, migrations into the service, that
would perhaps be longer... even with the new bulk order thing at BTW
I've little doubt certain types of user will get priority over those
who were already customers, without delays at some BT exchanges).

Those who've been paying for "up to 4 Mbps" or "up to 8 Mbps" will
be given priority, and then there's some pecking order depending
on how long one has been a customer. A shame businesses won't get
any priority as they appeared to be left in the dark last year
(though perhaps they were regraded around the same time as the
residential users - who knows!). Peter M.

--
Quality e-mail... 10 GB mailbox 1 GB files 30 day free trial !
IMAP/SMTP/POP/WAP point your MX see http://2238.runbox.com

Old March 29th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Mar 2006, wrote:

Goto
www.samknows.com, ALL the exchange information you could possibly
want is found there.

Doesn't matter how soon the exchange is updated if the ISP uses criteria
which means it may be 6 months from now before a customer gets regraded!

Old March 30th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

I see my exchange has already been upgraded. Amazing as it was in the last
3% in the country to get BBand - won't hold my breath than!

Old March 31st 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anorak

in article ,
at wrote on 29/03/2006 23:27:

Goto
www.samknows.com, ALL the exchange information you could possibly
want is found there.

sigh Another site giving incorrect info like the others. My exchange is
ADSL Max enabled acc to this and other sites. Oh yeah ? It actually is'nt
and ISP / BT do not know when it will be either. So much for the 31st being
the big switch on date then

Old March 31st 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

Anorak wrote:

sigh Another site giving incorrect info like the others. My exchange is
ADSL Max enabled acc to this and other sites. Oh yeah ? It actually is'nt
and ISP / BT do not know when it will be either. So much for the 31st being
the big switch on date then

How do you know your exchange hasn't been enabled today?

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).
Old April 1st 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Mar 2006 21:29, Anorak wrote:

So much for the 31st being the big switch on date then

From 31st, orders for new lines on IPStream Max and Max Premium
can be placed, and regrades requested by your ISP. No change to
any connection unless someone (your ISP) has asked for it so that
means no change for the majority of users (bet some of the staff
get their requests in before the customers... so they know what
problems the switchover causes ... yeah, right :-) Peter M.

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save cash!!