Slow connection speeds

Old March 29th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PL

Default Slow connection speeds

I've got a 1Mb service and using the speed test on ADSLGuide and BT,
find that 1000Kbps speeds in the morning drop off to less than 300Kpbs
evening time. Whether or not the speed test is reliable / accurate they
clearly indicate the same daily pattern.

Are there any tips as to how to find out where the 'restrictions' lie?
That is, with your hardware or software, ISP or BT exchange line?
Old March 29th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"PL" wrote in message
I've got a 1Mb service and using the speed test on ADSLGuide and BT, find
that 1000Kbps speeds in the morning drop off to less than 300Kpbs evening
time. Whether or not the speed test is reliable / accurate they clearly
indicate the same daily pattern.

Are there any tips as to how to find out where the 'restrictions' lie?
That is, with your hardware or software, ISP or BT exchange line?

If the adslguide speedtest and the BT one are slow in the evenings it would
generally indicate the vitual paths from/to the exchange are congested. I've
had this happen more than once but BT are normally quick 1 month to
increase the size of the virtual paths.

You can check to see if theres a known problem with your exchange here.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Hope it helps

Dan