Recommendation for Speedtouch 716WL over Zyxel 2602HW

Old March 29th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Recommendation for Speedtouch 716WL over Zyxel 2602HW

A month or two ago I bought a Zyxel 2602HW having been very happy with
the Zyxel 660H I had been using until I wanted to try VOIP.

The 2602HW has never been 'quite right', it works OK much of the time
but every so often (say once a day, more or less) the performance
detriorates, DNS stops working or you can't connect to its web
configuration. A reset (or power cycle) would always fix it and
performance would then be back to normal but this is not always
possible if I'm trying to use it remotely.

So I decided to try something else and found that DSL Depot are
selling returned/refurbished Speedtouch 716WL routers for £39 so I
ordered one on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday. It's now in use and
seems much more stable and less quirky than the 2602HW. I haven't
really stressed the VOIP side yet but for the rest it seems good.

It's not quite as 'all singing all dancing' as the Zyxel, it doesn't
have Bandwidth Management nor such comprehensive firewall facilities,
nor Traffic Redirect but what it does have seems to work very well.

I may try the 2602HW again when a firmware revision or two has been
done (I have the latest which came out in January, still not perfect).

--
Chris Green

Old March 29th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John G1JOD

wrote in message news:[email protected]

So I decided to try something else and found that DSL Depot are
selling returned/refurbished Speedtouch 716WL routers for £39 so I
ordered one on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday. It's now in use and
seems much more stable and less quirky than the 2602HW. I haven't
really stressed the VOIP side yet but for the rest it seems good.

Chris Green

Been trying the 716WL out myself, the idea was to get better QOS on VoIP
calls, I have listed a few problems I have found so far in trying to get
mine set up.

First thing I tried was to update the firmware to the latest version however
it didn't solve the issues with the router.

I have two accounts configured with Voipfone (both work perfectly with other
equipment)

1 VoIP settings completely lost when power re applied after power failure,
the user name password etc have to be reapplied and saved again, all other
ADSL settings are still ok.

2 PSTN relay clicked in and out several times during the night, rather
annoying.

3 I thought the speedtouch 716 would have been better than my present router
that does not support QOS, however lots of clicks and breaks when others on
my network are viewing WebPages etc, although QOS works great if uploading
or downloading files (apart from the annoying short breaks in the
conversation)

4 I can't get my Siemens optipoint to work, the phone keeps saying
discovering DHCP server, worked fine with Draytek and Linksys routers. The
speedtouch shows the phone as getting IP address by DHCP, but that's as far
as it goes. To be honest not investigated fully as yet.

5 If PSTN line you are calling is busy, it takes a long time for the
speedtouch to return the busy signal.

6 Although not investigated yet, dial plans seem to be limited.

7 (With call waiting on) If either or both phones attached to the router are
in use, any one calling from the PSTN just gets silence instead of ringing
tone (you here beeps in the phone attached to the speedtouch) however by
this time the caller thinks the call has failed and tries again with the
same result, very unsatisfactory, If he holds on it eventually goes through
to voicemail.

8 (With call waiting off) callers from PSTN go through to voicemail rather
than getting engaged tone (possibly normal behaviour)

9 Sometimes (intermittent) only one line able to receive calls the other
goes straight to voice mail, however both are able to call out. The only way
to get them both working again is to go into configuration and re apply the
settings.

10 MWI not working (not investigated this yet).

And I thought this would have been the easiest solution to set up!!

I already sent the first one I received back, because it was damaged.

This one looks as if it has been out before, even though I paid full price,
ordered through Virgin, my ISP.

Looks like this will have to go back also, and I will have to wait a bit
longer and spend more on the new Intertex router when it is available.

It should be just the ticket, the 716WL works perfectly as a router, however
the VoIP side of the router is extremely buggy and unreliable.

John

Old March 30th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

John G1JOD wrote:

wrote in message news:[email protected]

So I decided to try something else and found that DSL Depot are
selling returned/refurbished Speedtouch 716WL routers for ?39 so I
ordered one on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday. It's now in use and
seems much more stable and less quirky than the 2602HW. I haven't
really stressed the VOIP side yet but for the rest it seems good.

[snip]

1 VoIP settings completely lost when power re applied after power failure,
the user name password etc have to be reapplied and saved again, all other
ADSL settings are still ok.

Hmm, I must check that as we do get the occasional loss of power being
rather 'out in the sticks'.

2 PSTN relay clicked in and out several times during the night, rather
annoying.

3 I thought the speedtouch 716 would have been better than my present router
that does not support QOS, however lots of clicks and breaks when others on
my network are viewing WebPages etc, although QOS works great if uploading
or downloading files (apart from the annoying short breaks in the
conversation)

4 I can't get my Siemens optipoint to work, the phone keeps saying
discovering DHCP server, worked fine with Draytek and Linksys routers. The
speedtouch shows the phone as getting IP address by DHCP, but that's as far
as it goes. To be honest not investigated fully as yet.

I don't use DHCP at all, I find it much easier to have fixed IP
addresses for our four or five computers and a couple of other things
on the network.

5 If PSTN line you are calling is busy, it takes a long time for the
speedtouch to return the busy signal.

6 Although not investigated yet, dial plans seem to be limited.

I didn't think the Speedtouch had *anything* in the way of dial plans.

7 (With call waiting on) If either or both phones attached to the router are
in use, any one calling from the PSTN just gets silence instead of ringing
tone (you here beeps in the phone attached to the speedtouch) however by
this time the caller thinks the call has failed and tries again with the
same result, very unsatisfactory, If he holds on it eventually goes through
to voicemail.

Call waiting is my pet hate so I won't impose it on any of our
callers.

This one looks as if it has been out before, even though I paid full price,
ordered through Virgin, my ISP.

Mine from DSL Depot looks pristine though the box was a bit old
looking.

Looks like this will have to go back also, and I will have to wait a bit
longer and spend more on the new Intertex router when it is available.

It should be just the ticket, the 716WL works perfectly as a router, however
the VoIP side of the router is extremely buggy and unreliable.

Well that's the right way around for me, the ADSL router side of
things is more important than VOIP. The Zyxel 2602HW was just not
consistently reliable at keeping its ADSL connection functioning. The
716WL has been up and running for 48 hours now without any problems so
has already beaten the Zyxel.

Apparently the Draytek Vigors with VOIP also have problems on the VOIP
side so it would seem that there really isn't a perfect solution yet.

--
Chris Green

Old March 30th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John G1JOD

wrote in message news:[email protected]

1 VoIP settings completely lost when power re applied after power
failure,
the user name password etc have to be reapplied and saved again, all
other
ADSL settings are still ok.

Hmm, I must check that as we do get the occasional loss of power being
rather 'out in the sticks'.

After leaving the settings overnight, it seems they have now been
memorised!!

The trip switch just went off and when power was restored it lost my line
two settings that I had put in 10 mins ago!! so it seems it needs to be left
for some time for the settings to be stored!!
It has worked fairly well all day with only one VoIP account in use, apart
from lack of ringing tone when someone calls me and I am using the phone.
Seems it plays up more when using the line 2 , will play further tomorrow.

I don't use DHCP at all, I find it much easier to have fixed IP
addresses for our four or five computers and a couple of other things
on the network.

Agreed by far the best solution, however this rather fussy phone Optipoint
400 seems stuck in a loop on booting, until it boots you can't do a lot with
it or configure the settings.

6 Although not investigated yet, dial plans seem to be limited.

I didn't think the Speedtouch had *anything* in the way of dial plans.

Many settings can be accessed by telnet; the router has a very comprehensive
"CLI" guide available on the speedtouch site. From this a great deal of
settings can be customised including dial plans.

It should be just the ticket, the 716WL works perfectly as a router,
however
the VoIP side of the router is extremely buggy and unreliable.

Well that's the right way around for me, the ADSL router side of
things is more important than VOIP. The Zyxel 2602HW was just not
consistently reliable at keeping its ADSL connection functioning. The
716WL has been up and running for 48 hours now without any problems so
has already beaten the Zyxel.

Agreed the router is excellent and works flawlessly even on my 5KM line,
apart from the VoIP side. The QOS is probably the best I have used with VoIP
and the speech is very clear, its just a shame they haven't cracked the
Telephony side fully.

Apparently the Draytek Vigors with VOIP also have problems on the VOIP
side so it would seem that there really isn't a perfect solution yet.

I considered the Draytek, but settled on the speedtouch after much
research!!
Will have to wait for an all in one box that is more reliable.

John

Old March 31st 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

John G1JOD wrote:
[snip]

6 Although not investigated yet, dial plans seem to be limited.

I didn't think the Speedtouch had *anything* in the way of dial plans.

Many settings can be accessed by telnet; the router has a very comprehensive
"CLI" guide available on the speedtouch site. From this a great deal of
settings can be customised including dial plans.

Ah, I had seen the CLI documentation but had managed to get most of
what I want from the web configuration so hadn't investigated further.
It might well bear a bit more of a look then.

--
Chris Green