Which Router to Choose. Decisions. Decisions

Old March 29th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

Default Which Router to Choose. Decisions. Decisions

I'm looking to buy an ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ router. The local exchange is being
upgraded soon and my ISP will be ingreasing my speed (hopefully to 8mb).

I've found the following at Ebuyer

Shirt URL
http://snipurl.com/ocqn

Long URL

Has anybody used Safecom kit before? I've never hear of them but the box
seems to do what I want including futureproofing to ADSL2+.

The alternative is that I spend a little bit more money on a Linksys
WAG354G-UK although this has slightly less than half the wireless speed of
the Safecom box.

Anybody care to give a review or opinion.

Cheers

TheDysk

Old March 29th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy

cheap : netgear dg834g
expensive : one of the draytek models

--
Eps
Old March 29th 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

TheDysk wrote:
I'm looking to buy an ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ router. The local exchange is
being
upgraded soon and my ISP will be ingreasing my speed (hopefully to 8mb).

I've found the following at Ebuyer

Shirt URL
http://snipurl.com/ocqn

Long URL

Has anybody used Safecom kit before? I've never hear of them but the box
seems to do what I want including futureproofing to ADSL2+.

The alternative is that I spend a little bit more money on a Linksys
WAG354G-UK although this has slightly less than half the wireless speed of
the Safecom box.

Anybody care to give a review or opinion.

Cheers

TheDysk

There previous model was deeply unstable, i bought about a half dozen of
them, they all where unstable.

Gaz

Old March 29th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Mar 2006, "Gaz" wrote:

TheDysk wrote:

Has anybody used Safecom kit before? I've never hear of them but the box
seems to do what I want including futureproofing to ADSL2+.

The alternative is that I spend a little bit more money on a Linksys
WAG354G-UK although this has slightly less than half the wireless
speed of the Safecom box.

There previous model was deeply unstable, i bought about a half dozen of
them, they all where unstable.

When you write that their previous model was unstable, which model, which
manufacturer ? I ask because you might mean some Safecom model, or one
of the ones from Linksys... Not clear from your posting! Peter M.

--
Quality e-mail... 10 GB mailbox 1 GB files 30 day free trial !
IMAP/SMTP/POP/WAP point your MX see http://2238.runbox.com
Old March 29th 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Mar 2006, "TheDysk" wrote:

I'm looking to buy an ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ router. The local exchange is being
upgraded soon and my ISP will be ingreasing my speed (hopefully to 8mb).

Existing, non-ADSL2/2+ routers will handle up to 8000 kbps anyway, and there
are perhaps plenty of such routers flooding Ebay (or soon to do so, as some
who move onto higher speeds such as 16000 or 20000+ get shot of theirs).

I've found the following at Ebuyer

For info, they show a "Quickfind" code (90975) which is all you really need
to quote instead of a long URL for it... or indicate the make and model so
someone who has one can tell without needing to click the link, perhaps.

Has anybody used Safecom kit before? I've never hear of them but the box
seems to do what I want including futureproofing to ADSL2+.

Ah, so it's for future possible use... OK! Have used quite a few of the
Safecom models, from the SAMR-4110 and 4114, an Origo 4-port (Safecom is
in the web control page), and my sister has a Safecom 4-port in use now.
None of the ones I've used are wireless, though, as cable suits us fine
and is secure from external hacking attempts...

Anybody care to give a review or opinion.

Probably worth checking with www.ADSLguide.org as they have made hardware
reviews from time to time... and use http://groups.google.com/ for that
Linksys model, to see if there have been positive or negative comments
(similarly, there might be comments on www.dooyoo.co.uk ). While I have
used Ebuyer, I know they come in for some criticism from time to time and
I note that savastore.com (part of Watford Electronics) also stocks that
Safecom model at a similar price (in their best seller list, only 5 left)
(item code 10286546) and they also have some 802.11g adaptors too. PGM.

PS I've never bought from Savastore, but will be adding them to places
I check as Watford Electronics has a long, established reputation.

PPS You might also check www.Solwise.co.uk as they have a good range and
only stock kit they can support (I bought ISDN kit from them 5++ years
ago, but they've been around for much longer than that).

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save cash!!
Old March 29th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

poster wrote:
On 29 Mar 2006, "Gaz" wrote:

TheDysk wrote:

Has anybody used Safecom kit before? I've never hear of them but the box
seems to do what I want including futureproofing to ADSL2+.

The alternative is that I spend a little bit more money on a Linksys
WAG354G-UK although this has slightly less than half the wireless
speed of the Safecom box.

There previous model was deeply unstable, i bought about a half dozen of
them, they all where unstable.

When you write that their previous model was unstable, which model, which
manufacturer ? I ask because you might mean some Safecom model, or one
of the ones from Linksys... Not clear from your posting! Peter M.

sorry, i meant the safecom four port adsl router.

Gaz

Old March 29th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

"TheDysk" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy an ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ router. The local exchange is

being
upgraded soon and my ISP will be ingreasing my speed (hopefully to 8mb).

I've found the following at Ebuyer

Go for a Netgear DG834G. An excellent router. I have fitted loads of them.
Not one faulty unit yet. I also use wo myself. One at home and one at
work.

Rock solid performance. And one of the best for wifi range (Ive tested a
lot of different units)

Old March 29th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Mar 2006 15:51, "Gaz" wrote:

sorry, I meant the safecom four port adsl router.

Thanks for clarifying. Is that the one which has a swivel part to allow
for horizontal or vertical use ? Just that my sister has been using one
I bought s/h on Ebay last year, and has not mentioned any problems :-) I
have just got a few more units (3 for a little over 25 quid) off Ebay so
I have some spare filters, cables, etc, and among them is an Origo (that
has Safecom firmware) so I can see how stable mine is. OOI, you weren't
using yours for lots of peer-to-peer traffic, were you ? A model number
would be useful, too, to know when checking for problems. Tnx. Peter M.

--
USENET news ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from US $5 )
Old March 29th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Safecom: Cheap, cheerful, rock solid in my experience (5 of the 4-port
and 1-port models on different sites), but: If you're looking at the
GWART2 model, note the following:

1) It won't do loopback addresses - ie: if you have a mail server on the
LAN addressed as mymail.example.com, you cannot use that address from
the LAN to get to the server.

2) Wireless antenna cannot be removed = a problem if you want to put a
hi-gain one in its place

3) Otherwise seems fine.

Personally, I'd splash out on a Draytek. 4x the price, but nice kit.

One other tip: DNS is b0rked on the latest incarnation of the Linksys
WAG54G and if you have a client with a static IP address that's using
the router as a DNS proxy, proxying seems to stall about every 2 weeks.
If your client is assigned an IP and DNS server by DHCP then it works OK.
Old March 30th 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

"Linker3000" wrote in message
Safecom: Cheap, cheerful, rock solid in my experience (5 of the 4-port
and 1-port models on different sites), but: If you're looking at the
GWART2 model, note the following:

1) It won't do loopback addresses - ie: if you have a mail server on the
LAN addressed as mymail.example.com, you cannot use that address from
the LAN to get to the server.

2) Wireless antenna cannot be removed = a problem if you want to put a
hi-gain one in its place

3) Otherwise seems fine.

Personally, I'd splash out on a Draytek. 4x the price, but nice kit.

And whats the point in paying 4x the cost for something that basically does
the same job?

ps. The Draytek WiFi range stinks.