starting VOIP without broadband and forwarding ALL calls to another Vonage number?

Old March 30th 06, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.rcn.com

Default starting VOIP without broadband and forwarding ALL calls to another Vonage number?

I live in New York. I have a flat in Central London. I just moved a few
hundred yards away. My octogenarian mother lives in the flat all the time

We need to retain the number we have had for fifty years. As I reported here
earlier, BT wont cooperate in any way. I had OneTel in the UK and they make
it pretty impossible to contact them, though I am sure they will transfer
the number for me if the request comes through a voip service.

There is, unfortunately, no chance that my mother would ever conceivably
use the broadband connection for any other purpose. She WILL have cable
television service, probably through some sort of digital service available
in her area. Does anyone know the answer to the question Vonage wont
answer to me: Can I get a Vonage service, set it up through the internet to
forward ALL calls to my New York Vonage number and not bother with using it
for outgoing calls at all?

Old March 31st 06, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Aglionby

news.rcn.com wrote:
[...]

Ill take a guess, you want to port the number from Onetel to a voip
provider, Vonage?

As far as understand from group should be able to port a London 020
code out to Voip presume Vonage UK are offering some sort of service to
do it.

You then want the UK Vonage account to simply forward calls to your US
based Vonage number.

But wondering if the UK Vonage end will look for their box connected to
the service to keep the account alive?

What about just getting a UK Vonage box/account and US power supply and
plug the UK Vonage box into your US router?

Have I got the question right :-) ?

Adam

Old March 31st 06, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

news.rcn.com wrote:
[...]

A UK Vonage service will only forward to UK numbers. A North American
Vonage service will only forward to US and Canadian numbers.

You could add a UK virtual number to your US Vonage service and forward
the UK Vonage number to it.

Alternatively you could take the UK ATA back to the US and use it
there. You will just need to purchase a new power supply. Radio
Shack carries them. You could obtain a new BT number for your Mother
and
use the Vonage Simul-ring facility.

As an aside: After privatization BT did improve enormously.
Unfortunately the improvement didn't last. They are now impossible to
deal with. I've no idea what NY City's Telcos are like. I can say
AT&T, nee SBC, nee PacBel is worse than useless. Am I grateful for
Vonage?

Adrian.

Old April 2nd 06, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.rcn.com

You have both got it right: All I want to do is to port a UK number to a US
phone OR reroute all numbers which BT wont let me keep as I am supposedly a
few hundred yards outside their service area to the number which is in the
supposedly other service area. I didn't realise I could do this by opening a
UK Vonage account and taking the router they provide to my New York address.

(Can they not tell that I am not using the router in England?)

Now all I have to do is to figure out why Vonage won't respond to my
requests to do either of these months ago.

wrote in message
oups.com...