Plusnet site and POP down?

Old March 30th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

Default Plusnet site and POP down?

I can't collect POP3 nor load their portal site this afternoon. The
rest of the www and email is working OK. Am I to assume Plusnet are
"experiencing tecnhical difficulties"?

Please don't let these manifest into a network wide outage just as the
weekend approaches!

Old March 30th 06, 04:52 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

Just seen that this is due to a power outage in Sheffield.

Old March 30th 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
s n u f f y

"tx2" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just seen that this is due to a power outage in Sheffield.

Apparently it was just a power blip, but the servers went down and haven't
come up! Ahahah!

Old March 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

s n u f f y wrote:
"tx2" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just seen that this is due to a power outage in Sheffield.

Apparently it was just a power blip, but the servers went down and haven't
come up! Ahahah!

Hmmm, no doubt Plusnet will give a comprehensive explanation of events,
but it does seem to me that they repeatedly a) cut corners ) don't have
contingency plans for such failings c) have no network redundancy
whatsoever.

Fortunately, i use an alternative email provider, and only stumbled on
this latest 'glitch' whilst checking POP3 for my user account.

So long as ADSL connectivity stays up.... :-/

Old March 30th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

Do you have a standby Uninterrupted Power Supply for your computer?
Have you been cutting corners?

Retired

"s n u f f y" wrote in message
. uk...
oups.com...

Old March 30th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Road_Hog®

"tx2" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just seen that this is due to a power outage in Sheffield.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...net_power_cut/

Seems to be getting a regular occurence this month, the interruption in
services. Maybe, that they might invest some of the profits in propping up
the infrastructure.

"Publishing its prelims to the end of December, the Sheffield-based ISP
reported that turnover was up 27 per cent to £35.2m compared to the year
before. At the same time, operating profit before exceptional items
increased by 69 per cent to £4.9m compared to 2004. Profit before tax was
£4.5m, compared to £1.9m last year.

Much of this was boosted by a massive surge in new broadband subscribers
taking the total number to 176,000 at the end of 2005."

Old March 30th 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Fred

"Retired" wrote in message
Do you have a standby Uninterrupted Power Supply for your computer?
Have you been cutting corners?

Retired

I think that's comparing chalk with cheese.

I'm sure the OP will have his contingency plans which if they're like mine,
would be to wait for power to resume and in the mean time go for a walk. Do
you think his customers will notice?

Old March 30th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Abu Garcia

"tx2" wrote in message
ups.com...
I can't collect POP3 nor load their portal site this afternoon. The
rest of the www and email is working OK. Am I to assume Plusnet are
"experiencing tecnhical difficulties"?

Please don't let these manifest into a network wide outage just as the
weekend approaches!

Also getting

inactivity. Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'mail.plus.net', Protocol:
POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):

Ahh glad I dont use PN anymore usenet has lost another ISP binary provider
from 1/4/06.

Old March 30th 06, 08:14 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

Retired wrote:
Do you have a standby Uninterrupted Power Supply for your computer?

As it happens, I do, but not for my computer, for my network drives
where i keep all my valuable data, backed up, and backed up again.

My computer is a laptop, thus i don't require a UPS.

Have you been cutting corners?

Nope.