Proper SIP address

Old March 30th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NickC

Default Proper SIP address

Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of a
proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.

Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
'SIP: '

Nick

Old March 30th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"NickC" wrote in message

Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type
numbers instead of a proper SIP address, is there any
reason why?

Perhaps because that's what you dial from a telephone..? How would I dial
a full SIP address from a normal phone plugged into an ATA, which I would
guess an awful lot of people have..?

To my mind this seems to defeat part of the
inherent advantage of using VoIP.
Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
'SIP: '

My system is configured to use this format on speed dials, which permit
alphanumeric characters, but not everyone can do this. That's what ENUM is
for, amongst other things.

Ivor

Old March 30th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

NickC wrote:

Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of
proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.

Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
'SIP: '

Nick

As I run my own Registrar/proxy I do use a full URL here. I like it as its
the same as my email address. (Which I'm not going to announce here :-))

As others have mentioned, full alpha-numeric URL's are either impossible to
dial from the PSTN or very difficult using a POTS handset through an ATA.
Hence, currently they are hard to use.

However, if you are in a community that use good SIP terminals they are
really cool!

Andrew
Old March 30th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"NickC" writes:
Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of a
proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.

Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
'SIP: '

Yes, I do, but I only give it out to family and friends, for the
same reason I only give my email address to family and friends.
I run my own SIP and STUN server, again for family and friends.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 31st 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NickC

Its obvious now you mention it, because I do everything through the computer
that simple reason hadn't occured to me, duh..

Old March 31st 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

NickC wrote:
Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of a
proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.

It does, but it's hard to dial.

Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
'SIP: '

Yep... sip
peter

--
peter gradwell. gradwell dot com Ltd.
http://www.gradwell.com/
Old March 31st 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

P.S. top posting is irritating.

NickC wrote:

Excellent so some people are using SIP addresses. Question is how do I do
it? I am using a good ISP who lets us create DNS entries for our domain
name as required, question is what DNS record do I need to create to do
this?

It Depends. In the simplest case, where mydomain.co.uk resolves to the host
where you have your SIP ATA/server/phone/whatever listening then you have
already done everything DNS-related that you need to. In less simple cases,
have a read of this:

http://mit.edu/sip/sip.edu/dns.shtml

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:04:59 up 1 day, 25 min, 3 users, load average: 0.20, 0.23, 0.26

Old March 31st 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Yes, tim at provu.com

It gets quite a few calls.

On a Snom phone, you can put in a full SIP address by txting on the
keyboard - not very practical, but does work.

Tim
Old March 31st 06, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

NickC wrote:
Excellent so some people are using SIP addresses. Question is how do I do
it? I am using a good ISP who lets us create DNS entries for our domain
name as required, question is what DNS record do I need to create to do
this?

Before you create the DNS records, you need a running SIP
Proxy/Registrar to point the records at.

Tim